• This topic has 23 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IA.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • iPad email woes. Wife going crazy.
  • dingabell
    Free Member

My wife tried to send a picture to someone on her iPad and it hasn’t sent. It seems to be constantly trying to send it and the little wheel just keeps spinning round at the top of the screen. Is there any way to delete it because it seems to be affecting everything in her emails.

Cougar

Have you tried switching it off and back on again?

dingabell
    Free Member

Yes. Tried that. Still the same.

robdob
    Free Member

Close email program properly and load again. Switching on and off may also help as above.

GrahamS

It’ll probably be sat in her Outbox.

If you hit “Mailboxes” in the mail app it should take you up a level where you can then see all the folders (not just your inbox). You can then delete from Outbox.

dingabell
    Free Member

There doesn’t seem to be an outbox.
    There’s a sent box and a drafts box but it’s not in either of those.

DezB
    Free Member

Have you doule-clicked the home button and swiped the email app off to close it?

hypnotoad
    Free Member

If it continues to be pain she could upload it to a pic hosting site like imgur (there is an app) and copy/paste the link.

Granted it’s more fiddly, but it may work.

dingabell
    Free Member

Have just tried that.
    Still no good.
    I’m now getting the message ‘the mail server is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in mail settings’.
    I’ve checked it and everything seems to be OK.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Reset?
    Hold the home and lock buttons down together until the apple appears. That should sort anything.

GrahamS

Maybe the mail server is actually down?

dingabell
    Free Member

If we hold the buttons down together, does it just reset the iPad rather than delete stuff off it?

zippykona

Oooh my turn.
    We have 2 ipads and a mac book. They all have same outgoing mail settings but only one ipad will send mail.
    My samsung phone and nexus have same settings and both work. I even had someone who knows about this stuff have a look and they had no idea. What about the brainiacs on here , any thoughts?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Holding both buttons is a hard reset, but it doesn’t delete anything. You got to settings and need a password to do that.

Nobby

This may sound nuts but go to your mail settings, delete the outgoing server and then reinstall it – apparently this works for many providers but certainly fixed a similar problem for me with talktalk.

Drac

AS Nobby says delete the account settings then reenter them, it’s an occasional bug that happens. Also you can try entering the wrong password let it try to connect then when it fails enter the correct one.

Cougar

For outbound email to work, you either have to send securely (ie, enable encryption / authentication) or use your ISPs SMTP server settings rather than your email provider’s server.

the former is preferable on a mobile device as it should then work anywhere, not just at home. I don’t know where the settings are on an iDevice but there should be a tick box somewhere.

trail_rat
    Free Member

open the mail account

scroll down to where it says outgoing mail server – SMPT

click on the option under primary server and 4th box down is password – this needs to match your mail account password.

my guess is your wife has changed her email password recently – and only reset the mail password on the first screen when you enter the account.

removing the email account and reinstalling it does this act for you but much easier just to change the password.

Cougar

SMTP, not SMPT (or SNMP as I originally wrote before I’d had coffee).

trail_rat
    Free Member

i dont know about these things – i just had the same issue when i found an email sitting in my outbox on my phone i sent to stoner yesterday.

turns out id changed my email last week and that bit still had my old password in …. changed it out for my new one and off it went.

IA

What email provider? There are other potential issues if it’s gmail (or other provider that does 2FA or app specific passwords).

dingabell
    Free Member

It is gmail.
    I’ll try some/all of the above because I think my wife is about to go on a kill crazy rampage!

Cougar

Gmail SMTP server address: smtp.gmail.com
    Gmail SMTP user name: Your full Gmail address (e.g. example@gmail.com)
    Gmail SMTP password: Your Gmail password
    Gmail SMTP port (TLS): 587
    Gmail SMTP port (SSL): 465
    Gmail SMTP TLS/SSL required: yes

IA

Gmail password won’t work if it’s set as an IMAP account rather than a “gmail” account and you have two factor turned on, you need to generate an app specific password.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘iPad email woes. Wife going crazy.’ is closed to new replies.