Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • iPad Air or iPad Mini Retina
  • montarius
    Free Member

Ok I just cant make my mind up on what to get so calling all iPad users for your views please.

Instinct is telling me to get the Air as the screen size will be a better web browsing / typing experience but then i’m also thinking the size, weight and portability of the mini would be favorable as well..

Typical uses will be web browsing, emails, games and TV catch-up.

Thoughts and experience welcome. Anyone tried both?

IA

better web browsing /

Don’t be so sure about this – I have a mini as I prefer the size for reading (web, instapaper, RSS mostly) and that’s what I do most of on my iPad.

I had a big ipad before, and a 7″ nexus, so I’m not just recommending what I have, I properly tried a variety of screen sizes.

The portability is a secondary benefit for me.

Do you have an iPad already? What you think you want it for might not be what you end up using it for.

rocketman
    Free Member

Yup have got both in the household it’s really tough to say which one is best. The iPad Air really wins when it comes to reading magazines and books and is pretty good for films but for browsing, emails, youtube that sortof thing there’s very little to choose. The mini wins because of its form factor its more handy than the Air. I would say if you’re into reading and maybe using some of Apple’s productivity apps then choose the Air but otherwise I’d go for the Mini

montarius
    Free Member

I used to have an iPad 3 for a short period which I enjoyed – I never thought during that time that I would want the screen any smaller although did find it a bit heavy at times.

I guess i’m worried that the mini is going to be a bit fiddly to use when it comes to making online purchases or filling in web forms etc.

Im planning on getting a singletrack digital subscription so will be doing a bit of reading. Dont think I would ever use it to read a book kindle style though.

FuzzyWuzzy

I bought an iPad Air for pretty much the same requirements as the OP, I wanted to get rid of a laptop I was only really using for web-browsing/email. I looked at a mini but apart from price I really couldn’t see any advantage (given I don’t often leave the house with mine).

fatboyslo
    Free Member

I was in the same situation a few months ago, in the end I went for the mini retina for 2 reasons,
    1) more memory for the same cost
    2) size, the mini fits great in the inside pocket of most of my outdoor jackets, couple that with tethering to my phone on the three one plan and I get way more use than I did with my old I pad original.

As for filling in forms etc I don’t find it a problem,

edd

I had an iPad 3 that has now been replaced by an iPad Air. I’ve never used either and thought: “Hmmm! What I could really do with is a smaller screen.” The iPad Air is nicer to use than the iPad 3 was because it’s lighter.

montarius
    Free Member

Thanks for your advise, I went for the Air in the end and am so far very pleased with it.

Only issue is needing a case so that I can get an angle for typing / watching etc. Any case recommendations? Looked at the SmartCase but bad reviews and expensive. What about the SmartCover?

Recommendations appreciated!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘iPad Air or iPad Mini Retina’ is closed to new replies.