Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)
  • iPad 5
  • miketually
    Free Member

Very little in terms of general apps, although a lot will look nicer/work better on iPad as the apps will have been specifically designed for them which is generally not the case on Android. There are a lot of industry-specific apps though which simply don’t exist for Android. And as for games – probably the largest app market – the iPad is literally years ahead.

There are no industry-specific apps I need that I can’t get on Android and I don’t play games.

Drac

It’s personal preference they are all great devices but Apple comes with a premium. We’re getting our kids a tablet for Xmas each we’re thinking of Apple as they will work well with our other products but at a £160 saving each for a Nexus 7 it’s very tempting.

iolo
    Free Member

I read somewhere on here that some schools demand the kids have iPads. Unbelievable.
    Surely that can’t be legal.

Nick

Why do people spend time arguing about not buying something they don’t need?

cybicle
    Free Member

I’m looking to buy an iPad in the near future, and will be watching ebay with interest, to see if there are any iPad 3/4 bargains. Not that interested in the ‘latest thing’.

But one product Apple have recently developed which does seem revolutionary, yet isn’t getting much attention, is the new Mac Pro. A completely new approach to computer design, and a real showcase for Apple’s legendary innovation. Might be crap, but in terms of design thinking (Apple’s biggest strength), it’s completely different to anything else, as was the original iMac, the iPod, iPad etc.

God knows how you’d get new/replacement bits for the thing though!

Drac

I read somewhere on here that some schools demand the kids have iPads. Unbelievable.

I’ve highlighted the clue.

miketually
    Free Member

It’s personal preference they are all great devices but Apple comes with a premium. We’re getting our kids a tablet for Xmas each we’re thinking of Apple as they will work well with our other products but at a £160 saving each for a Nexus 7 it’s very tempting.

You could get them an Asus Memopad each for £60 less than one iPad Mini2 🙂

The Memopad is basically a slightly improved 1st gen Nexus7. SD card slot too, so cheap extra storage for films, music, etc.

Drac

You could get them an Asus Memopad each for £60 less than one iPad Mini2

Yup that’s also very tempting.

Kryton57

@ Drac – have you considered the Tesco/Argos offerings? I’m thinking about that for Jnr, although he wants a robot.

The lack of choice bugs me too. One size, one shape, no choice.

For an indecisive person like me apples eco system that just “does” everything with little fettling and presents me with a single smart looking 7″ choice for wifi-ing, an ipad mini is perfect.

miketually
    Free Member

All we need are food, water and shelter.

Why do people spend time asking why… 😉

Kryton57

Drac – Moderator
    I’ve highlighted the clue.

Jnr’s primary school provide macbooks for the older kids to do homework on and restrixted ipads & ipods for other activities. We thought the sting in the tale was the annual “maintenance charge” they ask for. However, its £35. “shrugs”

Kryton57

miketually – Member
    All we need are foodOcado, WaterLaithwaites and shelter zoopla.

😉

miketually
    Free Member

The secondary our eldest is going to will be leasing iPads to their Y7 and 8 kids starting in September. They’re optional though.

iolo
    Free Member

Is this homework computer related?
    Or can a pen and paper be used?

Drac

Jnr’s primary school provide macbooks for the older kids to do homework on and restrixted ipads & ipods for other activities. We thought the sting in the tale was the annual “maintenance charge” they ask for. However, its £35. “shrugs”

Seems good and a far step from demanding they have one.

grum
    Free Member

I don’t have other iDevices, because I like choice and don’t like overpaying for hardware. Until the Retina update, the Nexus2 had a better screen resolution than the iPad mini. The cameras on Android phones are getting better and better, and passing iPhone/Pad. Battery life is on a par with iDevices. I’ve never used bluetooth for anything, ever. Nexus devices are on a par with iPads in most benchmarks.

OK, so you don’t want an Apple device, so why are you posting repeatedly in this thread? You just want to make sure everyone knows how superior your choices are to theirs?

It’s like mikewsmith – he’s absolutely obsessed with Apple – yet has no interest in buying their products. 😕

miketually
    Free Member

OK, so you don’t want an Apple device, so why are you posting repeatedly in this thread? You just want to make sure everyone knows how superior your choices are to theirs?

It’s a discussion forum.

The original post ends with

What does everyone else think?

I have answered the question in the OP.

bigrich

I find brand loyalty a very odd thing. I really like my macbook air, but I have a galaxy note 3 as it suits what I need. I might get a new ipad, I may not. Depends what is best when I go shopping. people who froth either way, you do know what ‘marketing’ is?

grum
    Free Member

It’s a discussion forum.

Yeah of course you’re free to talk about whatever you like. It just seems a bit sad that some people feel the need to justify their purchasing decisions by denigrating other peoples’.

Let’s face it all of these products are unnecessary luxury items – so boasting about how ‘my luxury item is possibly slightly better value than yours’ just seems a bit lame.

I’ve never used bluetooth for anything, ever.

Isn’t that because you don’t have it? 🙂

Drac

I might get the kids an Asus Memopad each now as I’ll have changed to get me iPad Air. 😆

@ Drac – have you considered the Tesco/Argos offerings? I’m thinking about that for Jnr, although he wants a robot.

Yeah but there is better Androids devices out there.

stevious

@Kryton57 just laughed at your post above about your son wanting a robot. Reassuring to see that some things don’t change 🙂

GrahamS

I don’t have other iDevices, because I like choice and don’t like overpaying for hardware.

Yawn!

Take it you drive a Renault Twizy ? 😀

Until the Retina update, the Nexus2 had a better screen resolution than the iPad mini. The cameras on Android phones are getting better and better, and passing iPhone/Pad. Battery life is on a par with iDevices. I’ve never used bluetooth for anything, ever. Nexus devices are on a par with iPads in most benchmarks.

Wow, those are some fast moving goalposts right there!

So it’s not valid for me to say the iPad Mini has a better screen than the Asus Memopad, because the Nexus2 used to be better than the Mini??

Or say that the Asus Memopad has a crap 1 mega pixel camera because some other Android devices have good cameras??

Or that some other Android devices have a good battery life, so that means the Memopad’s 7 hours is “on a par” with the Mini’s 10 hours?

Weird.

Following your logic the Renault Twizy is an amazing car because the Renault Formula One car is very fast. 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Take it you drive a Renault Twizy

I don’t drive at all. The family car had done 103000 miles when we bought it, but it’s a Toyota rather than a Renault.

So it’s not valid for me to say the iPad Mini has a better screen than the Asus Memopad, because the Nexus2 used to be better than the Mini??

I was talking more generally about Android products.

I’d expect the iPad Mini 2 screen to be better than a £130 tablet, because is costs almost three times as much. In fact, I’d expect it to be almost three times better 🙂

zilog6128

There are no industry-specific apps I need that I can’t get on Android and I don’t play games.

Well, don’t buy one then? At least now you know why they’re better (for other people) so you can stop banging on about not wanting one.

Otherwise, all the newness in the phone industry is pretty much on a par with 650b. Not really that “new” is it? Just tinkering.

This is actually a terrible analogy. It is literally the complete opposite. 650b is different but not quantifiably better. The new iPad is not much different but you can quantify – with numbers and everything – exactly how much better it is than the previous version before you decide whether to buy it or not.

miketually
    Free Member

Yeah of course you’re free to talk about whatever you like. It just seems a bit sad that some people feel the need to justify their purchasing decisions by denigrating other peoples’.

I’m not denigrating others’ purchases, simply offering up alternatives and questioning the value.

Isn’t that because you don’t have it? (bluetooth)

I’ve had Bluetooth on every phone and laptop I’ve owned for as long as I can remember.

miketually
    Free Member

Well, don’t buy one then?

I haven’t. And won’t.

At least now you know why they’re better you can stop banging on about not wanting one.

I asked why I should get one, as people seem to use them for Candy Crush, Clash of Clans and Facebook, which are all accessible on other, cheaper devices. Given the fawning and clamoring over them, I’d assumed there was something I’d missed. Apparently, there wasn’t.

Perhaps now you can stop banging on about me banging on?

zilog6128

I’ve had Bluetooth on every phone and laptop I’ve owned for as long as I can remember.

Oh yes, I’d forgotten about Bluetooth smart. If you want to control a Wahoo Kickr, for example, Apple is your only choice at the moment.

as people seem to use them for Candy Crush, Clash of Clans and Facebook, which are all accessible on other, cheaper devices. Given the fawning and clamoring over them, I’d assumed there was something I’d missed. Apparently, there wasn’t.

Well, there was, but you’re too full of yourself to realise just maybe there might be an aspect of an industry – which you admit you have no interest in – that you don’t know about.

miketually
    Free Member

This is actually a terrible analogy. It is literally the complete opposite. 650b is different but not quantifiably better. The new iPad is not much different but you can quantify – with numbers and everything – exactly how much better it is than the previous version before you decide whether to buy it or not.

You can quantify the benefits of 26/27.5/29 wheels: http://teamdicky.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/the-great-debate-of-our-times.html

miketually
    Free Member

If you want to control a Wahoo Kickr, for example, Apple is your only choice at the moment.

🙂

grum
    Free Member

So if I said that people that own Android stuff can’t afford the superior Apple products, and some of them seem to be quite bitter about it – that wouldn’t be denigrating their purchasing decisions either? 😉

I asked why I should get one, as people seem to use them for Candy Crush, Clash of Clans and Facebook, which are all accessible on other, cheaper devices. Given the fawning and clamoring over them, I’d assumed there was something I’d missed. Apparently, there wasn’t.

No-one is telling you to get one!

Kryton57

stevious – Member

@Kryton57
    just laughed at your post above about your son wanting a robot. Reassuring to see that some things don’t change

He’s been very specific. It needs to be R2D2. AND a life size walking talking robot that can ride next to him on his bike.

Pressures on. 😕

GrahamS

I was talking more generally about Android products.

Ahh sorry, so when you said:

“Why would I pay £230 for an iPad mini, when I can get an Asus Memopad for £130?”

(which is the question I answered) you actually meant Android products in general? Fair enough.

In that case, why would I pay £400 for an Asus Transformer Pad Infinity, £400 for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z or £600 for an Asus Padphone 2, when I can get an iPad mini for £230?

Wow Android stuff is really overpriced eh? 😀

miketually
    Free Member

So if I said that people that own Android stuff can’t afford the superior Apple products, and some of them seem to be quite bitter about it – that wouldn’t be denigrating their purchasing decisions either?

You’d be denigrating the purchaser, rather than their decision.

zilog6128

You can quantify the benefits of 26/27.5/29 wheels:

You seem to be ignorant as regards the meaning of quantify:

“Bigger is better. When do you hit the point of diminishing returns? Who knows?”

“The angle of attack is certainly one aspect that concerns me. Since I like to race rigid and love technical races the mostest… this downsize works against me. Enough to notice?”

“I don’t know much about that. I wasn’t complaining about traction on my 26″ bike. Dunno if that (disputable) three extra centimeters makes a difference. The 27.5 only gives up one centimeter to its big brother. Whatever.”

grum
    Free Member

It really does seem that a large part of the appeal of Android products for some people is that they’re not made by Apple – and they can endlessly **** on about how everyone who buys Apple stuff is a mug etc.

I really don’t get it. I don’t go on about how a new BMW must be rubbish because I drive an 8 year old Berlingo. 😕

I’m sure lots of Android stuff is great – but I’m not interested in it so I don’t go on and on about it. 😕

avdave2

I predict a screen size somewhere in between the current Ipad and the mini.

GrahamS

It really does seem that a large part of the appeal of Android products for some people is that they’re not made by Apple – and they can endlessly **** on about how everyone who buys Apple stuff is a mug etc.

Yep! Apple is a big evil corporation that just want your money while they are supporting the little guys, like Google, Sony and Samsung 😆

People who buy Apple must be clueless mugs who know nothing about computers.

Like me, a software engineer with 16 years on the job, specializing in embedded systems. I don’t have a clue 😀

asherh
    Free Member

Are there any non-Apple tablets that are built as solidly as the iPad? My iPod touch has been going strong with daily use since 2009, the iPad 4 seems as well built, if not better than the touch. Would an Asus lilypad last 4+ years?

miketually
    Free Member

In that case, why would I pay £400 for an Asus Transformer Pad Infinity, £400 for the Sony Xperia Tablet Z or £600 for an Asus Padphone 2, when I can get an iPad mini for £230?

For each of those models, you could pretty easily say what you’re paying extra for: bigger screen, keyboard, phone.

GrahamS

For each of those models, you could pretty easily say what you’re paying extra for: bigger screen, keyboard, phone.

Yes you could. And yet when I did exactly that for the Asus Memopad versus the iPad Mini you dismissed it by pointing to those other models.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘iPad 5’ is closed to new replies.