• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by karn.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • IP65 Rating assistance
  • yosemitepaul

Whilst at work today I had to take some contractors to fix a non-functioning CCTV system. The camera is atop a pole not too dissimilar to a lamp standard. (they didn’t fit the system just looking to see why it wasn’t working). As they removed the cover at ground level an extension lead with two plugs attached fell out. On looking into the pole, the power obviously comes out of the ground and into a sealed junction box. The extension lead is wired into the junction box. Into it was plugged a 13amp plug and a 12v transformer.
    Does anyone know if this is the correct way of wiring outside? Shouldn’t it be waterproofed and rated as such. Everything behind the cover plate was dry though not cobweb free. The extension sockets were about 12 inches above ground level. I’m no electrician and nor were the CCTV contractors but it just doesn’t look right to me. Any suggestions? The system was made to work again after wiggling around a network cable!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Z2Saws]Untitled[/url] by Paul Whitehead, on Flickr

pk13

I’m no elechickin but that don’t look right to me is the extension cable going under ground into any reinforced trunking?

finephilly
    Free Member

absolutely no way is that right!! you can’t use a domestic extension lead outside – as soon as it rains you’ll get a short circuit! I’m surprised you didn’t get a shock. the galvanized cover needs at least a rubber seal. ip65 is supposed to resist water and dirt ingress ie splashproof.

yosemitepaul

I could only think that as water gets into the ‘pole’ then there is every chance it enters the extension cable, at which point I guess there’s a chance of the aluminium pole becoming live!!

pk13

Thinking about it I’m guessing the camera or the network bit is running on 12/24v due to the little drop down transformer plug.(black plug) so they bungled an extension to covert the mains to a 3 pin plug. Has the white extension got a big blue plug on the end like what you see at camp site hook ups because that’s the only way I can think that lead is live. And if that wire gets pinched as typed you have a 240v lamp post in your car park 😆

Edit I see its in a junction box I’m surprised they fixed it I would have not touched that

poly
    Free Member

It’s probably not quite as dodgy as it looks / sounds. The fact you have spider webs is a good sign it’s not actually getting wet, as is the fact the fault was with the Networking not the power.

It’s inside an enclosure (which is protecting it effectively) so I don’t think it needs to be full on IP65. Something like IP44 is probably more than adequate (and it may not even need to be rated at all). I’d be more interested in whether the pole itself is effectively grounded? If it is then the scaremongers about it becoming live are just that, and it’s likely the the circuit has trip on it anyway.

The problem with many IP rated socket enclosures is 1. Some are only rated when nothing is plugged into them! 2. Some will only take a standard socket not a 12v style adapter; 3. Those that do might be too big to fit through the opening in the pole.

finephilly
    Free Member

I couldn’t see it was dry and thought you had power problems – sorry. I would still ensure it’s well sealed and not likely to get wet.

gobuchul
    Free Member

the galvanized cover needs at least a rubber seal. ip65 is supposed to resist water and dirt ingress ie splashproof.

IP65 is for protection against water jets, not just splashproof.
    As above IP44 should be plenty secure enough.

karn
    Free Member

I’m with poly here, although very shonky, I don’t actually think it’s as bad as it looks.
    It will be protected from the worst of the elements inside the pole, and if a bit of moisture does get in, it will just trip the circuit breakers back at the distribution board.
    As for causing a short if it’s trapped in the door, that’s more to do with it not being properly fixed in place rather than due to it being an extension lead, plus I don’t think you should have too much concerns over the post not being earthed properly, as it’s a great big metal pole bolted to the ground.
    IMHO of course

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘IP65 Rating assistance’ is closed to new replies.