Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • IOW trail conditions anyone?
  • squeekybrakes
    Free Member

I’m planning on doing the bfh 100k randonee this Saturday and could do with an update on how the trails are bearing up on the Island. Any Caulkheads on here? Full suss or rigid singlespeed?

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Summer tyres or muddy knobblies?

barn
    Free Member

Tennyson trail and main chalky routes are slippy but Ok, all forest tracks are a bit of slop fest. Only the cheeky forest playgrounds require FS in my view, so for a distance ride I’d go rigid SS for sure.

Am road racing on the Sunday so if you see someone whizzing around the West Wight looking like they’re going to puke – that’s me!

Have fun, lovely place.

scottfitz
    Free Member

main chalky routes are slippy but Ok, all forest tracks are a bit of slop fest.

+1 but I would go Full suss with muddy knobblies. But thats because i have never ridden my SS over 70k 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Doing the 50k with the better half tomorrow. It’s mixed sun/rain/wind here at the moment, so expect wet patches under cover.

We’re on geared hardtails – it’s hillier than people think here. Having SS’d round the island through the winter I’d personally go geared and some bigger treads – we’re on Spec. Purgatorys, but something like Conti X-Kings would work well. If you’re worried about mud, you’d do a lot worse than Bontie Mud Xs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘IOW trail conditions anyone?’ is closed to new replies.