Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • IoW dwellers! What broadband do you use?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’m coming to join you on the isle in two weeks and will be living (to begin with) in East Cowes.

I’ll be working from home some of the time, so will be needing broadband.

Not too worried about a phone line and have seen that there’s wireless – what’s that like?

Also been advised against Wightcable – what are the other options?

Cheers!

flap_jack
    Free Member

My sis (who lives way off grid on the IOW) uses sky. Somewhere urban like Cowes may well have better options.

I grew up on the IOW. Get out of E Cowes ASAP. Newport is where it’s at. Ventnor if you want something a bit more bohemian. Mother lives in Shanklin. She’s 90, and about mid-age-range for the town…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ha! Thanks for the advice (on all counts). 😉

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

hey, just saw your post on iow mtb, as i said sky or bt 😉

nmdbase
    Free Member

I use vfast wireless and it’s 20x quicker than our old bt one.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I live in Cowes. I have my work providing broadband now, but previously I was on BT and it was fine. Think there’s a BT exchange thing in Cowes, so it’s pretty fast over here.

Of course in E Cowes you’ll have to wait for the chain ferry to bring the telegram over to the exchange first. Maybe use a carrier pigeon.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Of course in E Cowes you’ll have to wait for the chain ferry to bring the telegram over to the exchange first.

Hahaha, nothing changes then…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Of course in E Cowes you’ll have to wait for the chain ferry to bring the telegram over to the exchange first. Maybe use a carrier pigeon.

I was warned about East Cowes-ists. 😉

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

@nmdbase – whereabouts are you? And how much is it?

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I was warned about East Cowes-ists.

Ach, it’s all part of the fun of living in a backwater. The parish council should dig into the coffers for billboards at the town boundaries with this on it:

flap_jack
    Free Member

was warned about East Cowes-ists

Indeed. However, my niece and her family lives in East Cowes and seem to like it. OK if you’re family orientated, bit dull otherwise.

flap_jack
    Free Member

StefMcDef – I remember the day Tesco opened. From the queues, you’d have thought they were giving gold bars away.

I’d love E Cowes parish to out up a sign like that – W Cowes has been up it’s own backside for about 300 years, yet apart from that one week, it’s dead. (I lived there 1985-1992)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The other half has family there and I’ve been there several times, so am not unaware of the – erm – rivalry.

I was amazed at how much contention Waitrose has caused. Is it really that big a deal?!

(we were originally buying next door to it)

nmdbase
    Free Member

Erm, not on the IOW 😳 sorry I didn’t read that properly.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Nah, don’t think it’s that bad, but then I’m a blow-in so I’m not sure how deep the historical rivalry runs. In my experience it’s just estate agents that talk it up.

East Cowes seems a bit more workaday, less of a resort town. Has fewer pubs, shops and yatch clubs than its regatta-throwing counterpart across the Medina. Although there’s always Osborne House, if you like sort of thing. Royal Cowes, innit?

All things considered I’d rather live in Cowes than E Cowes. If you haven’t actually bought anywhere permanent, other places that seem like a good pitch, from the outside looking in, are Bembridge and St Helen’s.

Bigyinn might be along in a minute to convince you Ryde is better. 😛

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Well bizarrely we’re looking at Ryde should we stay and buy…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘IoW dwellers! What broadband do you use?’ is closed to new replies.