Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • ios 9 upgrade – ipad 2? 16gb retina
  • burko73

Model MD366B/A

Will IOS 9 work/ make it sllllooooowwww….?

Currently on IOS 7.1.1 as I didnt upgrade to 8 thinking/ hearing it would slow it up.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Is it supported ? I kept my iPad 1 upto date as long as possible but that stopped with ios5 ! Is still in use everyday FYI. I suppose the question is are there any features you’d particularly like with iOS8/9 ? Be aware increasingly you may find apps are no longer supported so you are stuck on an old version. This can mean unless they are backed up if your iPad needs restoring you cannot reload them although this is a rare occurrence,

Mr_C
    Free Member

Edit: I was wrong.

mmannerr

First model with Retina? I think we have one of those and it is bit sluggish with IOS 9 and Safari hangs occasionally.

lunge

I too have a 16GB iPad 2 and have recently upgraded. My suggestion would be, unless the apps you use need you to, don’t. Mine has been noticeably slower since IOS 8 and whilst 9 is no slower than 8, it feels slower than 7.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@mmanner my experience with the iPad1 was it struggled with ads, they are getting more complex animated etc. When I put the ad blocker on my iPad air2 on launch day it speeded up enourmously loading ad heavy web pages.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Did the iPad 2 have retina display?

Mr_C
    Free Member

Did the iPad 2 have retina display?

No, but the model number indicates it’s a 3rd generation which did.

GrahamS

If you mean an iPad 3rd Gen (i.e. the first one with Retina) then that’s what I have.

iOS9 seems fine on it. Couple of nice new features but nothing amazing.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

When I put the freeloading on my iPad air2 on launch day it speeded up enourmously

The iPad 2 doesn’t support the new ad-blocking apps.

(Note that not all iOS devices are supported that can run iOS 9: only those with 64-bit processors. This excludes the iPhone 4s, 5, and 5c; the iPad 2, 3rd-generation iPad, and 4th-generation iPad; 1st-generation iPad mini; and the 5th-generation iPod touch. All later devices work.)

From Macworld

jam-bo

The iPad 2 doesn’t support the new ad-blocking apps.

Ipad Air2 is not the same as an iPad 2.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Ipad Air2 is not the same as an iPad 2.

Yeah I realise that. The title of the OP refers to iPad 2 though as do some of the comments. Even the 3rd gen iPad referred to by GrahamS does not, apparently, support ad-blockers. Just passing on some useful info I found.

mrblobby
    Free Member

My mate has one (the first retina iPad) and upgraded to iOS9 a couple of days ago. He’s just ordered a new iPad!

GrahamS

My mate has one (the first retina iPad) and upgraded to iOS9 a couple of days ago. He’s just ordered a new iPad!

On the basis that iOS9 made very little discernible difference at all? 😕

Maybe he really wanted tha ad-blocking which, as stilltoroise says, is not available on some older devices for reasons. Or SplitScreen/PiP etc which is likewise not available (for more understandable reasons).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Unfortunately it was on the basis that the upgrade made his old iPad very slow indeed.

burko73

sorry, my mistake. My Ipad is the first retina model.

burko73

can i go back to 7.1.1 if it makes it slower?

GrahamS

Unfortunately it was on the basis that the upgrade made his old iPad very slow indeed.

Odd. It made very little difference at all to mine which is the same model.
    If it wasn’t for the UI changes I wouldn’t have known it was upgraded.

vorlich
    Free Member

I have the same model, it’s been starting to feel sluggish since ios8 IMO. App switching is slow and the killer is the proliferation of ads which slows Safari rendering down no end. Sadly, it doesn’t support content blocking.

I’ll be upgrading soon I think…

burko73

Whats a good condition 16mg ipad 3 retina with sim card slot etc worth?

burko73

These threads just die, don’t they..?

CountZero

Got 9 on my iPad 3 retina, doesn’t seem to have caused any slowdown, as far as I can tell, but it’s getting old, by technology standards so not the quickest machine on the block.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

why upgrade?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

I’ve put 9 on a 5, I don’t like it.

When I go to unlock it, it’s still thinking about something when I hit the first number, so doesn’t register it. So I end up typing my code twice

The new font looks like something designed by Fisher Price

The new double home tap is stupid and you can’t hit the screen you want properly

I do like the lower case keyboard… but that’s it. Going to try and roll back to 8

burko73

I use notes a lot and wanted to try the new improved notes. I’ve upgraded my iphone 6 and in order to get notes to sync I need to upgrade the iPad as well.

GrahamS

why upgrade?

It has a couple of nice features:
    • The lower-case keyboard finally fixes that stupid “is shift selected or not” issue.
    • Revamped notes is nice.
    • The new (Android style) “Back to..” link is nice.
    • Being able to add mail attachments from Dropbox, Google Drive and iCloud is nice.
    • Being able to save web pages as PDFs is nice.
    • It now has a Low Power mode that shuts down a bunch of background stuff when the battery gets to 20%, supposedly giving you another hour of run time.
    • Better wifi stability is nice.

Nothing amazing but useful nonetheless. I’d be annoyed if it had noticably slowed my iPhone 4S or my iPad 3, but I can’t say that it has.
    Other peoples mileage varies apparently.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just jailbreak it?

GrahamS

I spend enough time hacking stuff at work.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘ios 9 upgrade – ipad 2? 16gb retina’ is closed to new replies.