Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 292 total)
  • iOS 6 – No more Street View. Booo!!!
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

iOS 6 is out today I believe. As a self-confessed lover of Apple stuff, I find myself surprisingly un-excited. Maybe it’s the fact Google Maps is being removed, which means no more Street View on my iPhone and iPad, that makes me annoyed.

What are the thoughts of other iPhone and iPad users?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Isn’t there a google app for those that want to stay with the google way of doing things?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Isn’t there a google app…

I’ve read – in a reasonably well respected Mac magazine – that the Google mobile version of maps won’t have Street View. This goes beyond the Google Way or the Apple Way. Street View is a genuinely impressive and genuinely useful tool and removing it will be a great blow I reckon.

CaptJon
    Free Member

vector based maps will be very useful, though.

jota180
    Free Member

Do they force you to upgrade[?] the OS?

grum
    Free Member

How do you get street view on iPhones etc at the moment? Didn’t know you could. Where’s the option on the maps app?

MrSmith
    Free Member

You don’t have to upgrade though? I use street view a lot, would buy an app if possible.

xiphon
    Free Member

They don’t force you to upgrade – but will try to sneak in an update opportunity if you’re not careful.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

grum – Member
    How do you get street view on iPhones etc at the moment? Didn’t know you could. Where’s the option on the maps app?
    POSTED 24 MINUTES AGO #

From the purple pin on your map click the icon with the white man on orange background. It goes to street view.

I won’t update iOS if I will lose street view as its a useful tool, unless of course there is an app.

Drac
    grum
    Free Member

Every day is a school day. Cheers. I’ve found out about it just in time to miss it when it’s gone. 🙂

Surely there wil be an app?

zokes
    Free Member

How do you get streetview on the maps app in OS5 then?

Jamie
    Free Member

How do you get streetview on the maps app in OS5 then?

click the icon with the white man on orange background. It goes to street view.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You don’t have to upgrade though?

True. Fortunately there’s not much “wow” in iOS 6 so I’ll hang fire until I know Street View is available again. I probably won’t miss it as much on the iPhone, but I use it extensively on the iPad.

footflaps

You can always downgrade via iTunes if you don’t like it.

footflaps

For me, turn by turn navigation will be worth it alone.

Jamie
    Free Member

You can always downgrade via iTunes if you don’t like it.

You have never been able to downgrade iOS via iTunes.*

*Leaving SHSH/JB stuff aside.

xiphon
    Free Member

Downgrading via iTunes is a bitch to do – not for the inexperienced!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

For me, turn by turn navigation will be worth it alone

I use – and am happy with – navfree for that. The maps are stored on the device too, which means I don’t need to worry about network connection. I can’t imagine iOS 6 comes with a load of maps pre-installed 😯

packer
    Free Member

Here are the things I am looking forward to in IOS6:
    – Turn by turn navigation
    – Vector maps
    – Maps flyover view (although not sure how much of UK is covered)
    – Shared photo streams
    – Decline calls with message
    – iCloud stored browser tabs
    – Offline web page reading
    – Full screen web pages

grum
    Free Member

*waits for someone to go on about how android has had all these features for twenty years and how glad they are to be immune from marketing hype, unlike the ‘sheeple’.

I use – and am happy with – navfree for that.

I used to use Navfree and it was ok for a while but then went completely mental so I uninstalled it. Never tried it again since.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have TomTom on my iphone if I need turn by turn but my car has it anyway so not needed (I have used it in cities though when on foot or on the bike with headphones). The big problem with the ios6 maps app by all accounts is its lack of accuracy in locating places. Seems a quite basic bit of functionality but I rely on the iphone map app to find shops, restaurants, bars etc when I don’t have a precise address so it could be interesting with this new one.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Every day is a school day. Cheers. I’ve found out about it just in time to miss it when it’s gone.

Snap.
    Bugger. Wish I’d not opened this thread now! 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Here are the things I am looking forward to in IOS6:

For me it’s just the tab syncing. I already have Navigon/TomTom for sat-nav, and full screen safari, with gestures, via a JB tweak.

jonjones262
    Free Member

When is the update available?

packer
    Free Member

Some time today. Don’t think they have said what time exactly.

mysterymove
    Free Member

Google are apparently releasing a map app not sure when or how much though?

atlaz
    Free Member

About 10am PST so, 6pm or so in the UK

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Here’s something else you may miss out from having on your Apple device, the right to film…

Apple Granted Patent To Disable Cameras According To Location

grum
    Free Member

SO why does ANYBODY Still own a SPYPHONE…. Because they are SHEEPLE.
    And the SHEEPLE won’t be protesting about anything important anyway.

YEAH!!!

packer
    Free Member

About 10am PST so, 6pm or so in the UK

Where did you hear that? Or is that just the time they usually release updates?

Drac

Here’s something else you may miss out from having on your Apple device, the right to film…

Oh noes! Wait can they disbale my DSLR and Headcame too, oh wait no.

Phew panic over.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

But your phone is more likely to be to hand than camera gear, which it would be easier for Them to spot you using…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh noes! Wait can they disbale my DSLR and Headcame too, oh wait no.

Phew panic over.

Looking at past events in the middle east the ability to take pics and upload them as things are happening has been quite useful. A state that can turn off mobile cameras when they want to has a powerful tool. A camera can be found/smashed/taken a mobile can bounce the image out easily.

Of course they would only use it when it was really needed though.

Drac

But your phone is more likely to be to hand than camera gear, which it would be easier for Them to spot you using…

Whatever one is in your hand?

xiphon
    Free Member

They usually release stuff around 10am local to them, so 6pm UK time.

This is not official, just going by previous releases.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Slight hijack:

Rather than starting my own thread and being called every name under the sun, what do y’all think my chances are of buying an iP5 from the Reading Apple store on my way home on Friday?

Slim to none?

packer
    Free Member

… and slim just left town.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL!
    As I thought. Might give it a shot though, it’s not out of my way really….

Drac

Worth a try, can you not order and reserve pick up at the store from Apple site?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 292 total)

The topic ‘iOS 6 – No more Street View. Booo!!!’ is closed to new replies.