Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 177 total)
  • IOS 11
  • oikeith

Mini PSA: crappy iOS 11 “feature”

Since upgrading to iOS 11 I can’t Airplay to my Airport Express (hooked up to some speakers via 3.5mm jack). This is a big hairy PITA. What little I can find on the internet suggest AirPlay 2 is not supported in Apple hardware like the Airport Express. Hope I’m wrong.

That is a bummer, I am looking to pick up an airport express and link to speakers as just took a 7 with no headphone jack. Please keep updated!

Rockape63
    Free Member

I have checked my applications in settings but its not an option i can select, does that mean i dont have any apps that run on 32-bit?

Don’t know – are you on iOS 10.3.3? I think that’s when they introduced it.

I have the same issue…..goes off to check! 😕

Yes I’m on 10.3.3 and selecting apps is not an option, its greyed out!

Ive also seen it’s (ios 11) 1.9gb and I only have 630mb spare!

jam-bo

still works with my old denon Ceol stereo that supports airplay.

bencooper
    Free Member

here’s a fun game: see if you can find the new emoji’s touted as part of ios11, there’s even 56 of them. cant be that hard right?

Still no Scottish flag. It’s a Unionist conspiracy, I tell you.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Please keep updated

Been in touch with Apple. Despite being very helpful, they couldn’t resolve it and it’s gone to the engineering team. During the troubleshooting process I’ve lost Airplay facility to ALL my devices, as opposed to just the Airport Express, so even less happy now 🙁 My phone doesn’t even see my Apple TV now or my hi-fi, never mind the Airport Express!

On a positive note, their support is very good and I hadn’t expected this much attention from them.

GrahamS

Ive also seen it’s (ios 11)

I’m guessing the upgrade to iOS11 automatically removes those apps?

I think the idea was you check before you upgrade.

Drac

It doesn’t. I checked afterwards.

GrahamS

I’m confused. I thought the motivation was that they were ditching support for 32 bit apps to cut down on the number of libraries loaded etc? So if it doesn’t remove those apps then how do they still function after the upgrade?

And how do you get a list of the offending apps after the upgrade?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Well, bugger me. I don’t know whether Apple are now Apple to do “over the air” patches, but my Airplay devices have magically reappeared, including the Airport Express that went missing immediately after the iOS11 update. I’ve not touched my iPhone or fiddled with my network since talking to Apple about this, but somehow it’s working again. That’s weird. Good, but weird.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Having played a little more since last nights update, I’ve found the Notifications swipe down from the main screen has been replaced by an Auto Phone Lock feature.. which I think is a step in the right direction, can’t honestly remember the last time i used the Notification thingumybob…
    So from your main screen hit the Home button and the Phone will unlock, then just scroll down form the top of the screen to lock it… replacing hitting the on/off buuuutoooonnn.

nickhit3 – Member

where are you seeing them? cant find them.

Ok..
    Create a message
    Hit the A (AppStore Icon)
    Once done a load of animated Gifs appear and a menu at the bottom of the popup giving you options to upload a pic from Photos or Imgur(in my case, but sure another Photo storage Icon will be there for your preferred Photos) an AppStore Icon (for Apps) iTunes (for uploading music) and the HeartTwoFinger free hand tool also..

Yay for animated Gifs !!

GrahamS

bikebouy: yep, I have that in iOS10 ?

nickhit3
    Free Member

Hit the A (AppStore Icon)
    Once done a load of animated Gifs appear and a menu at the bottom

nope. its a link to visit the store “to add stickers etc” it says.. so i have to download some third party PAID emoji pack? that’s not intuitive and or ‘baked in’ to the OS as everyone and their mother suggests is the case..

Am i being unreasonable to suggest the ‘new emoji’s’ should just be under the smiley emoji tab on the keyboard?

rogermoore

Something (unless I never noticed before) that has changed is the regular phone functions (mute, keypad etc.) are available when you are on the phone for a while and the screen locks.
    RM.

rogermoore

nope. its a link to visit the store “to add stickers etc” it says.. so i have to download some third party PAID emoji pack? that’s not intuitive and or ‘baked in’ to the OS as everyone and their mother suggests is the case..

When you get to this point, at the very bottom of the screen you should have a few option icons – the ‘A’ symbol for App Store bits, then the Digital Touch Icon, then the Image Search Icon?
    RM.

GrahamS

Is this what you mean bikebouy? (shown here in iOS 10)

Also, apparently my dinner is ready. Back in a bit.

nickhit3
    Free Member

When you get to this point, at the very bottom of the screen you should have a few option icons – the ‘A’ symbol for App Store bits, then the Digital Touch Icon, then the Image Search Icon?
    RM.

yep. got that. nothing suggests or contains any new emojis. Is this a new ‘capability’to host animated emoji’s for the first time OR something that is actually shipping with ios11? Thers a million articles about all these new emojis dating back to the early beta days but… not one explains where they are, if they exist, and how to use them? I expected to find them as an addition to the traditional emoji’s which you know, seemed reasonable, given all the sodding talk about them. If this is just a new way to download pointless animated fluff for my messages, like a paid sticker pack etc then… that’s not really what is being suggested in the media. They’re not there… Are they coming in a further update?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Who knows, but you seem rather miffed about it.

I think they’re cool, the Mrs’s is already annoyed by the sheer number and ferocity that I’m using them..

So thats a winner.

I don’t remember them being on IOS 10, so they’re new to me.

Are you talking about AR gifs?

nickhit3
    Free Member

Who knows, but you seem rather miffed about it.

? I don’t actually give two shits, but I’m just confused based on the coverage about them – you just said yourself you’re using them, but aren’t explaining how? that’s all I’m asking. Your instructions don’t point to anything that contains emojis other than the app store. did you have to download them or find them there waiting to be used?

not talking about AR gifs no. Just animated emojis. The ones you are apparently using.

bikebouy
    Free Member

They are just there.. I found them easy to find because once a message is being created they appear at the bottom of the screen.. As GrahamS posted.

Unless you are thinking about the AR aspect ?? If so I’ve not found that yet.

GrahamS

Is this a new ‘capability’to host animated emoji’s for the first time OR something that is actually shipping with ios11?

Do you mean the ability to animate an emoji with your facial expressions?

That’s an iPhone X only feature as it needs the FaceID camera to do the face-mapping*

* (well that’s Apple’s story anyway. My old Logitech webcam was doing face overlays years ago and some of the face-swap apps seem to manage it just fine too)

Houns

Having same issue with lack of animated emojis (not fussed, just thought I’d look after reading this thread) I upgraded me iPad last yesterday…. My phone still on the old one at the moment

nickhit3
    Free Member

Do you mean the ability to animate an emoji with your facial expressions?

That’s an iPhone X only feature as it needs the FaceID camera to do the face-mapping*

no, its ANY animated emoji – not the iphone10 ones which indeed need the fancy cams. I have never seen an animated emoji in ios9/10/11. yet im told they exist. Infact every single piece written about ios11 highlights new ‘animated emojis’ Bikebouy up there claims he’s using them even..!

I’ve not seen or found them. They don’t appear as any option when creating a message as far as i can see. My message tray/keyboard is the same largely as it always has been in 9/10 when typing in ios11.

Houns

Same here (Apart from fact I didn’t know anything about them until now )

And, as we’re talking about such things….. Any way to type notes on ‘notes’ on my iPad and for them to sync and appear on ‘notes’ on my phone? Thought it would just happen. Obviously not a huge issue for me as had iPhone a year now and not googled the issue

GrahamS

Any way to type notes on ‘notes’ on my iPad and for them to sync and appear on ‘notes’ on my phone?

Just happens if you have it set to sync Notes on iCloud.

Don’t know about iOS11, but in iOS10 it was in Settings->Apple ID->iCloud and tick Notes.

In the Notes app you can take a step back and see different folders under “iCloud” and “On My iPhone”, anything under iCloud should sync automagically.

Jamie
    Free Member

Wait. We have animated emojis? 8)

nickhit3
    Free Member

if… you can find them. They’re like a less useful A Team.

Houns

Haha!

And thanks G

Jamie
    Free Member

Well. I know the latest emojis are coming in the next .1 update, and there is no animated emojis in 11 or incoming updates.

bikebouy
    Free Member

So, do tell me what the bliimin ek I’m seeing and using then?

nickhit3
    Free Member

^^^ that was my next question… lol

can you post any screenshots Bikebouy?

rogermoore

Bikebouy has discovered adding GIF images to Messages.
    Standard Emojis are not animated.
    Animoji’s are a ‘feature’ of the iPhone X only.
    RM.

muggomagic

I guessing either gifs or stickers which have been tucked under the app store icon in ios10 and are more obvious at the bottom of the screen in ios11

bikebouy
    Free Member

He sings, he dances…

He’s in that animated gifs in messenger …

So, if I’m not seeing animated gifs you are going to have to tell me what it is I’m seeing.. and GrahamS because he posted what I see too…

Jamie
    Free Member

So, do tell me what the bliimin ek I’m seeing and using then?

Stickers/gifs maybe? They were in previous versions, but are featured more prominently now. You may be noticing them for the first time.

Houns

Yes, gifs. Not emojis

As you were everyone

wors

Can anyone tell me if its possible to sync photos from different Apple IDS to one location on my Windows PC, I have Icloud photo installed on the laptop but only my photos go into there as its my Apple ID, can I add the wifes and sons in there too?

zilog6128

Can anyone tell me if its possible to sync photos from different Apple IDS to one location on my Windows PC

surely iCloud Photo Sharing can do that?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Awe… so you are saying all this time Snoopy has been singing and dancing and hidden away .. all… this … time ….?

I feel so sad, all that wasted effort for all those years..

Still… I’ve found him now ain’t i.

I’m going to wear him oooot.

Ok, s’mebbies I got my emoji/animated gifs mixed up a little. I’m not proud enough to apologise so sorry folks.. my bad… but I did make it on the list as a “good guy”

So..

nickhit3
    Free Member

smh

mmannerr

Can anyone tell me if its possible to sync photos from different Apple IDS to one location on my Windows PC, I have Icloud photo installed on the laptop but only my photos go into there as its my Apple ID, can I add the wifes and sons in there too?

You install Google Photos app or OneDrive app to each device and set them toupload photos on cloud.
    For pure Apple solution I have no idea.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 177 total)

The topic ‘IOS 11’ is closed to new replies.