Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • IOM TT 2016
  • Swelper
    Free Member

It’s nearly time for the big titanium balled men to come out n play on the mighty TT course.

Predictions for me are

Hutchy, McGuiness, Dunlop, Ansty battle. Hutchy to take the senior along with lap record
    Dunlop and Hutchy battle in the 600’s and stock races.
    McGuiness will be there or there a outs in the senior, Ansty could possibly ruin party with a few nice wins

No matter it’s going to be close either way

So, what’s yrs

trademark
    Free Member

Hutchy
    Dunlop
    McGuinness

Anstey could set a lap record if he gets out of bed on time but his inconsistency will not help him win, maybe a podium instead of McG if he’s not too inconsistent?

Id like to see Peter Hickman do well but I think he has a couple of years to go before standing on the podium.

Can’t wait, this is the only sport that gets me emotional.

badllama
    Free Member

My first time there this year really looking forward to it 😀

TheDTs
    Free Member

RC express Racing for the Lightweight title. It will all be down to the graphics we fit on ther bikes of course.. 😉

RustySpanner

C’mon Brucey, wake up.
    Time for a big win!

gingefella
    Free Member

badllama,brace yourself fella and be prepared to be amazed.While the telly coverage is very good its not as personal as sitting there on a hedge listening to them approach from miles away,the hairs on your neck stand up,the scream of the engine as they pass you,the shock wave from the pure speed and then the smell of a red hot motor getting every last bit of power rung out of it.You sir, are in for a treat.Enjoy.

badllama
    Free Member

Cheers gingefella, will do! 😀

bensales
    Free Member

Hutchy, McGuiness, Dunlop, Ansty battle. Hutchy to take the senior along with lap record

It’d be nice to see some new blood. Seem to have been watching those guys for the last 15 years. Not to take anything away from their performances at all, but the sport, particularly IoM, needs to move on.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

First time for myself,we’re taking pushbikes,going next Friday until Tuesday afternoon & camping at Quarter Bridge.
    One of my mates has raced there quite a few times,there’s about 6 IOM Replicas on top of the telly!
    One of my other mates raced there & came back in a coffin..
    Where’s recommended viewing?
    We’re thinking of going up to conker trees but not sure how to get there down the back roads from quarter bridge.

mark88

seem to have been watching those guys for the last 15 years

MD is only 27 so he must have made his debut very young if that’s the case! Hickman, Lee Johnson, Dean Harrison are all capable of mixing it with the big boys.

mark88

We’re thinking of going up to conker trees but not sure how to get there down the back roads from quarter bridge

If you are on push bikes then I would say get up early and get the bus before roads close. Well worth it though, brilliant spot.
    Crosby jump is really good and easy to reach from your campsite.
    11th milestone, Begarrow, Creg-ny-baa and Hillberry are all favorites of mine. I can’t wait!

gingefella
    Free Member

Bustaspoke,I would do as mark88 say’s and catch a bus fella.Its a 17 -20 mile trip just going there and because the mountain is one way for the fortnight you have to go thru the central valley (some big climbs) or go along the course from where your staying thru to Ramsey almost,not recommended as it only takes one nutter on his gsxrzxcbryzf 1000 full of Guinness the night before to cause mayhem and take you with him.There is the Laxey coast rd but again its a bit iffy.Bus it and arrive chilled.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Just going to pop this here, as it might help some. Don’t forget ITV4 now has a HD version as well.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Thanks for the info.
    The ride up to conker trees would have been nice but I’ve no intention of mixing it with a bunch of loons acting out their TT road racer fantasies.We’ll get the bus.
    I think there’s an old railway line from St Johns that we can use to get back to Douglas,I’ll have a look at that & see where we can get to on that part of the circuit.
    Do you get the bus up to the Creg / Hillberry or can you walk up from Douglas?
    Also can you cycle up to the Mountain without using the circuit?
    I’ve been over there & done the E2E a few times so I know some of the terrain
    Thanks for any advice

mark88

I think there’s an old railway line from St Johns that we can use to get back to Douglas,I’ll have a look at that & see where we can get to on that part of the circuit.

Ride along the TT course from campsite to Union Mills (all in 30mph limit) and join railway lines there. This provides access to the outside of the course through to Ballacraine. Crosby jump and Gorse Lea (amazing spot for your first visit, feels like you can touch the bikes) are two of the best spots on the course and both accessible from there.

Do you get the bus up to the Creg / Hillberry or can you walk up from Douglas?

Probably best to ride there. Creg and Hillberry are connected by a track called Honey Hill so you can do both in a day. Stop off at the grandstand on your way back to the campsite.

Also can you cycle up to the Mountain without using the circuit?
    I’ve been over there & done the E2E a few times so I know some of the terrain

Yes, but I don’t know the hills well enough to describe. Hopefully someone will be along with better advice!

cat69uk
    Free Member

My first time as well, excited! Heading out Tuesday 7th and back on the 11th. Glamping at Quarterbridge.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Thanks for that.
    There’s enough for us to go at for a few days spectating there

Crosby jump and Gorse Lea (amazing spot for your first visit, feels like you can touch the bikes) are two of the best spots on the course and both accessible from there.

I’ve been to the Ulster GP in the past so I know about getting up close! 😆
    I’ll have a look at the Honey Hill track.
    I think I’ll leave conker trees for a return visit on one of my motorbikes.

Pigface
    Free Member

Some poor sod will die 😥

Hate the TT

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Yup. I feel it’s barbaric the way they force them to do it.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh you are so droll and witty

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

What exactly did you expect? You come into a thread where people are talking about looking forward to the TT, how it’s going to be their first time attending and they’re really excited etc, and you post what you did.

mark88

Some poor sod will die

Many more will get to fulfill a lifelong ambition.

Pigface
    Free Member

Because it is an open forum and I don’t like the TT, if people want to enjoy it then great have fun, due to some personal losses at the place I don’t like it.

Am I not allowed to say that?

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Of course you are allowed to say it, but you cannot be surprised when your opinion is commented on, given the nature of the thread. i.e a cheery heads up/discussion of the TT.

I’ll leave it at that.

Pigface
    Free Member

Yes they will and that is fantastic for them, I just think the risks and the speed of the big bikes is too much these days. It is not a popular thing to say and I know how much people love the TT and the Manx. To race there as a privateer takes years of effort, cost and sacrifice.

I don’t like the place, it is just my opinion.

Bong maybe it was the perceived flippancy of your post, cool lets leave it alone.

sobriety
    Free Member

Suter are racing this year, I’m properly jealous of you guys who are going

http://suter500.com/menu/

I’ve been out there for the Southern 100, and over to Norn Ireland form the Armoy road races.

It’s thrilling to watch, and there’s some great mountainbiking too.

Pigface
    Free Member

Hey sorry if I killed the vibe on this, ignore me, I have a bee in my bonnet about the TT.

Here’s to Hutchy and Ansty doing well.

The Padgetts bikes look a million dollars.

sobriety
    Free Member

I have a bee in my bonnet about the TT

Why? If you don’t mind my asking, it’s not like the old days where it was part of the grand prix calendar.

Pigface
    Free Member

Ok because a guy I used to race with is called Steve Ellis, a week before David Jeffries was killed we had been racing at Cadwell or Mallory and the last thing I heard Jeffries say was “new lap record wait and see” he wasn’t talking to me just general banter with a bunch of riders.

Gavin Lee went with him to the North West, such a great lad Southern 100 🙁

When I started as a schoolboy doing trials there was a guy in the club called Ian Hardisty he was good at everything Trials Moto X Enduro, bit aloof but had good words of advice for us rabble.

Steve Ellis had a crash in the Manx 12 weeks in Douglas ICU.

Again sorry to bring the thread down. It is a great feast of motorcycling the TT just not for me anymore.

sobriety
    Free Member

Fair enough, I’ll not pretend to understand it though. I ride a bike on the road, I’m not even close to your level of riding, let alone a TT racer, but I’m always aware that every time I go out, if I make a mistake, or someone else does something stupid then I might not be coming back. I’m sure TT riders know it to, although they are renowned as an unimaginative bunch.

Funnily enough, I’ve a V&M poster signed by David Jefferies, I had no idea who he was at the time!

Again, apologies for moving this thread in a somewhat morbid direction.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve ridden the TT course (hit over 150mph over the mountain which is still way, way slower than the TT riders will) but haven’t made it over to watch the races. Definitely on my to-do list though.

mark88

Pigface – If you have such a hate for road racing, I don’t understand why you would open a thread about it. Yes, it’s very sad that people lose their lives on the course, but that’s the nature of the beast. Riders are well aware of the risks yet entries are well over-subscribed every year.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member
    iomnigel
    Free Member

I always enjoy Goose Neck for the slides and how close they get on the exit of the corner.

If you are on an MTB and want to combine a big hill with watching bikes, windy corner track is good (and now turned into a simple motorway – after the initial rockfest). Approach from the East (Glen Roy back road, just “down” from Cohnrenny / Honey Hill). In addition there is a difficult to find track heading NE from Windy Corner that eventually drops you back down at the Bungalow as well.

The railway line goes all the way to Ballacraine and then onto Peel, boring but servicable (and always “interesting” over TT with Motorbikes and Cars in ditches on the ‘lines).

If bringing motorbikes, be aware that as normal, the speed zones are well policed and the local police will not stand for the laws being broken (today someone caught at 135 in a 60 zone – either deported back to UK, licence lost, jailed, bailed, or banned from rock, certainly will not be seeing any of the TT)

If anyone is over and feels the need to get out for a ride one evening or want some more guidance you can send me a mail : nigel@manxmtb.com

(19 years on the Island – now allowed to be a “stay over” not a “come over”)

Pigface
    Free Member

Mark 88 I didn’t open a thread about it

mark88

sobriety – reports suggest the Suter sounds very impressive! Lougher managed to do a 115mph lap on it last night, hopefully they will have it up to speed by the time I’m there on Friday

sobriety
    Free Member

😆 Couple of Suter vids

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2MWzqN3xTw[/video]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k6T2gNBmJ0[/video]

alanf
    Free Member

Is Bruce really riding an RC213V?

mark88

Yep – he did 127mph on his 2nd lap on it!

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Update time.Excellent few days had by all. 😀 Going back next year,just need to find a better way of getting all the gear on the bike..
    We arrived at Quarter Bridge Friday morning & got back home Tuesday night,only rained on Tuesday morning.
    Quarter Bridge is on the outskirts of Douglas,easy to get to from the ferry & walking distance from Douglas.The old railway line goes directly from Quarter Bridge to Peel & runs close to the TT course up to Ballacraine. From the campsite you can walk up to the Paddock & all points of the course in that direction.
    There were hundreds of bicycles there so obviously it’s a popular way of getting around the place.I was told by a few people that bringing the bike was a good idea as we could get down the railway line when they were stuck at their viewing point plus I could have a couple of pints & not worry about my licence.
    In best Singletrack tradition here’s a few photos
    Gorse Lea
    Best sounding bike all week

The Railway line

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘IOM TT 2016’ is closed to new replies.