Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • IOM mtb routes
  • teenrat

Heading out to the TT and am taking the SS scandal with me. Staying at union mills and am after some routes to try in between the racing that ideally start from where im staying. Can anyone recommended any routes please. I think ive worked out a way of getting up to Snaefell but where do go from there? Any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

Rich

Esme
    Free Member

There’s a good MTB guide to download on the Visit IoM website
    That’ll keep you busy, while you’re waiting for more specific advice.

windysurfer
    Free Member

I’m also heading over but just for practice week so I’ll keep an eye on this thread.
    Theres some routes on here

I stumbled on some good stuff in one of the plantations last year so I’m going to explore a few more this year

pipiom
    Free Member

The scheduled group rides are a bit “hit and miss” during TT, but there’ll always be a crew going out. I’m on hols at the moment but will be back for some of the fortnight.

Do you want me to keep you informed re local group rides as they are posted?

windysurfer
    Free Member

Whats the score with Snaefell? Are you allowed to ride up the path starting at the bungalow to the top and back?

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

You’re not strictly speaking allowed up snaefell, and tbh, it’s not a great ride. From union mills, you’re not to far from Archalligan, where there is 20k of trails around the forest, venture a little further and south barrule has some decent stuff. If you fancy something gnarrly, on from south barrule is Cringle, Arrasey, or Kerrodhoo, all of which have some gravity trails. Up Peel hill is a nice run on a sunny evening. If you want a big one, head to Ramsey, for Ballure, Brookdale and Skyhill, or you could do the recent cyclefest xc loop from Milntown.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Archalligan, I think that’s were I rode last year. OP is at Union Mills, I’m in my van and staying a Kirk Micheal footy ground for circle yer wagon VW meet then just bumming around for the rest of the week.

Only want to ride snaefell just to say I’ve done it really.
    I’ll check out the other option though cheers.

(sorry for the hijack teenrat!)

mark88

I’ve not lived on the Island for a few years, but the enduro scene appears to be booming and there is a huge amount of trail building going on.

Snaefell is a long push up and the footpath will be busy during TT. I would also avoid cycling on the mountain road during TT.
    South Barrule is a far better option for a summit, and can be linked into a good route far easier (Cringle, Arrasey, Glen Rushen, Kerrodhoo and South Barrule plantations all close by).

Union Mills is at the foot of the hills so to get to most of the good riding you’ll be looking at a 30+ mile loop. If you want something like that I’ll have a dig through my strava and see what I can come up with.

The ‘Peaks Challenge’ course in Windysurfer’s link is good and starts near Union Mills – horrible green lane climb into the hills then mostly singletrack footpath back down.

Chibbannagh and Archallaghan plantations are both easily to reach from Union Mills and would be good on the SS but far from the best riding on the Island.

Up Peel hill is a nice run on a sunny evening

One of my favourites – stop in Peel for ice cream/beer/fish and chips after, nice cruise along the old railway line back to Union Mills

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

[Only want to ride snaefell just to say I’ve done it really.
    I’ll check out the other option though cheers.]

The local downhill club did a race down it in 2014, with a tram uplift. I had entered, but bust a wheel the week before, and was gutted.

If you do go up, it would be as well to ride, push, carry up the main track, and straight back down. Following the tram track up is terrible.

thomasgeorge
    Free Member

Some footage coming down snaefell, not me by the way.

[video]https://vimeo.com/103653292[/video]

pipiom
    Free Member

Not a lot of MTB been going on because of TT/work etc and i was away last weekend until Monday. However, if any of you are still over Saturday morning there’s a ride going from the Raven at Ballaugh at 10 am, we’ll do a few Northern trails and maybe have a few beers at the end.

If you’re still here,and the races don’t get postponed, you’re more than welcome to join us.

windysurfer
    Free Member

Unfortunately I’m back home, I did manage a good few rides, mainly around the northern end but did get up Snaefell and over to South Barrule plantation.Plenty for me to go at next year.
    The ride from the mountain box to the bungalow was a bit hairy with all the bikes and cars giving it the beans over the mountain road!

pipiom
    Free Member

We’ll be home for the full fortnight next year so we can plan ahead better. Glad you got out anyway.

robarnold
    Free Member

I help organise the manxmtbenduro races and do a fair bit of trail building, particularly in the south as I live there. Give me a shout next year when you’re planning on coming and I can show you the secret stuff down my way….or enter one of the events and see the trails at race pace with a t shirt and beer thrown in! Manxmtbenduro.com, my email is Robinarnold69@hotmail.com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘IOM mtb routes’ is closed to new replies.