Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • invsiframe and alternatives
  • duncancallum

the invsi kit is 72 quid for my bike, the 3m tape is no where near that dear, does having it pre cut make for a much better finish?

I want to look after my new bike but 70quid for some sticky back plastic seams a little dear.

Or as anyone used shackwrap and what did he charge?

jonny-m
    Free Member

Im going to buy 8m of clear Gorrilla tape for a fiver and see what happens…..

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had a couple of carbon frames done by him and they were great. Next bikes will probably be powder coated aluminium so some self cut 3m take will be protecting them.

I’ve just found the finish on carbon to be a bit more vulnerable.

scotroutes

I’ve used various taped solutions in the past but opted for Invisiframe for a new Orbea. It’s thinner, a lot less visible and realy well cut. No feedback on longevity yet of course.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Had both and wouldn’t use anything but invisiframe again

Had it fitted by Lee at invisiframe and it’s hard to spot in places and seems to be holding up well.

duncancallum

How much did it cost..?

Trimix
    Free Member

I got an Invisiframe kit for my bike.

If you tried to cut templates, then adjust them to fit, then cut the protective material of your choice you would either do a shite job, or it would take several days.

So take that into account when thinking about the price.

But certainly do the fitting yourself if your the carful patient type of person.

If your a ham fisted Gorilla with the attention span of a toddler, pay him to fit it.

I’ve also applied some clear protective stuff to my other bike myself – the results were poor.

The way the invisifilm stuff goes on with water means you can slide it about till its lined up properly. You can also squeeze out any air bubbles to get it bloody perfect.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Invisiframe kits – my last four frames have been done. The first one was fitted by Lee because the frame came from a shop local to him. I fitted the other three.

It’s not hard to fit yourself if you follow the instructions and take your time. My last kit needed a bit of modifying because they don’t do a kit for a Ti Switchback and I was too tight for paying for a one off kit!

The Invisiframe kits do last well; my Banshee kit still looked pretty good after 18months of use; there were a few nicks etc in it but it hadn’t discoloured or started lifting. By contrast my Deville’s had a heliptape type kit on them and that was very yellow.

holland15h
    Free Member

At the end of the day you pay for what you get. My last 3 bikes have all been protected by Invisiframe and you cant tell it’s been fitted.

Why spend a lot of money on a bike and then be pikey and try and protect the frame on the cheap.

vincienup
    Free Member

I’d agree.

I’ve got invisiframe kits on three bikes – two purpose cut (Soul275 and Solaris) and one ‘generic road’ on my CX. I’ve tried full coverage in a variety of self cut tapes in the past and usually find it looks rubbish within 6 months at the outside, usually sooner.

The first kit on the Soul was applied by Lee at Invisiframe, I asked Cotic to post the frame directly to him and he posted it back. The second kit on my CX I applied myself. It took quite a while (I’ve heard four hours being a suggested time to allow yourself) and there was a bit of alteration involved but just detail scalpel trims and as the kit was not specific to the bike that’s fair enough. Apart from an air bubble I messed up on one of the seat stays (overworked the material, it discoloured to white in a small area – few mm across) it looks great and has certainly done its job as this frame was going to get a battering in daily use. Third kit on the Solaris was quick and easy and looks great. Take your time, follow the instructions, pick an easy section to start on for confidence 🙂 and make sure you won’t be disturbed.

When to use this (ideally) is a brand new bike that is stripped or an unbuilt frame. You do need to be very careful about cleanliness and it doesn’t like being put on in the cold. Personally I wouldn’t bother with Invisiframe on a pre-worn bike. My bouncy bike was ex demo and had a few chips etc already so it just got a strategically placed AMS honeycomb kit.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Think it was around £30 to fit and took a few hours. Well worth the money as the fit was flawless (and I’m a proper fussy bastard) and Lee is a really nice bloke to deal with too.

duncancallum

Cheers I think I’ll give it a go with invisiframe unless schackwrap come back with a similar cost as he’s local

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Invisiframed two bikes, fantastic stuff.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Invisiframe – definately worth it. Had it done on my new bike, the bike was expensive so happy to pay to have it done and you have to look hard to see it. Done some of my older bikes myself with helicopter tape trying to shape it a bit, a right faff to do it properly.

duncancallum

ordered a kit,

its a brand new bike so should be spotless, thats my sunday taken up anyway now!

Trimix
    Free Member

Make sure you wipe it down with some proper cleaning fluid first.

johnnystorm

I’ve got a demo Orange Four at the no with an invisiframe kit. Didn’t even know it was there to begin with.

mb51
    Free Member

Rhino tape off eBay,cost effective and thicker than helicopter tape. And Gorilla clear tape. Rhino tape better for straight sections, just follow instructions and use a hair dryer to warm areas to be taped then when applying tape use hair dryer to get a better fix on non flat surfaces. gorilla tape better for over lapping.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Coming from the other side of it, I’ve recently bought a second hand carbon frame that had a full invisiframe kit on it. When viewed the frame looked like it had a hard life, but he guy assured me it was all surface damage and the price was too good to refuse. Striped the invisiframe off (which took some doing) and the frame was mint underneath – everything that looked like big scratches or rubs had been protected. I was that impressed I’ve just paid for the frame to be professionally invisiframed. Also just done a new set of cranks myself, amazed how mailable the stuff is

bruceonabike
    Free Member

Paid 100 quid fitted at Two Wheels Cycles in Stourbridge for my Stanton and delighted with the result. I’ll do most jobs on a bike but wouldn’t attempt fitting invisiframe myself.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘invsiframe and alternatives’ is closed to new replies.