Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Invisiframe – fitted for you prices
  • Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve just rung a shop for a price to fit the Invisiframe stuff. (Someone recommended by Invisiframe)

They wanted £125 for the kit and to fit, so that’s £53 for fitting, which is OK. But then they said they have to charge to take the bike apart and rebuild it to fit the stuff and need another £50.

So that’s £175. Looking at the vid for fitting it doesn’t look like you need to take the bike apart, just take the wheels off.

Has anyone else paid someone to fit it and how much did it cost.

wwaswas

Guess it depends on stuff like cable routing, disk mount placement etc. You need to be able to access everything to thoroughly clean and degrease the frame too.

I fitted Invisiframe myself on a new frame and it was really useful to be able to turn it upside down etc at times to get access – would have been trickier with forks etc in place, I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

Cheaper to send the bike to Lee?

Or do what I did and drop it off while you go for a ride at the Long Mynd or Eastridge. Nice spot for a weekend away even.

Stevelol
    Free Member

I’ve fitted 2 kits and it’d be a nightmare to do it without stripping it down, I imagine they wouldn’t be able to guarantee a good finish without doing this.

Just do it yourself, no bike shop will be able to spend as much time as you, if you want a good result do it yourself, it takes a couple of hours first time but isn’t that hard.

Trimix
    Free Member

I reckon your right, I will do it myself and spend ages in the man cave with a beer, soapy water and a bike.

wwaswas

It was one of those jobs that taking your time and following the instructions gives a great result. I enjoyed the actual process too – chase those bubbles down and eliminate them!

fd3chris
    Free Member

@ trimix you are still on about fitting the invisiframe kit right ? 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

🙂

STATO
    Free Member

Taking a bike apart is a simple task surely? its certainly an easier task than fitting an invisiframe kit to a bare frame, nevermind fitting one to a bike.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I paid £100. For that my LBS drove to invisiframe dropped it off and picked it up a couple of days later. It was a new frame so no component stripping but it may of needed the shock and linkages removed.
    No way would I could be arsed to try and install the kit myself for the few £££ saved.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Paid £50 for labour to have it fitted, but that was pretty much mates rates. I’d have done it myself but lack the free time at the moment. Still winced a bit handing over the money.

BoardinBob

I fitted it myself to my Enduro. Took a couple of hours and the only thing I had to strip from the bike was the rear wheel and the cable guides on the underside of the downtube.

A mate on the other hand took 8 hours+ to do his Capra and flung the toys out the pram several times

epicyclo

I’m curious about why bother with this?

In 3 or 4 years time the bike (unless it’s a hardtail) is likely out of date and you’ll not make back the money spent.

That’s if the benefit is aesthetic, but in that case I’d budget for a repaint instead.

If it actually protects the frame from dents, then I can understand it.

Speaking as the sort of person who thinks cleaning his bike 3 months after the ‘Puffer is spoiling it. 🙂

wwaswas

It’s not thick enough to protect from ‘dents’ but it’s very good at preserving the finish on the frame, preventing heel and cable rub etc.

STATO
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

I’m curious about why bother with this?

In 3 or 4 years time the bike (unless it’s a hardtail) is likely out of date and you’ll not make back the money spent.

That’s if the benefit is aesthetic, but in that case I’d budget for a repaint instead.

If it actually protects the frame from dents, then I can understand it.

My old looked like id attacked it with sandpaper after using bikepacking bags for a while. The new bike hardly has any marks thanks to the tape, it also cleans up a lot easier. My current commute bike has been caked in mub and bounced off bike racks, give it a wash and it looks like new again, unlike the previous which has big scrapes down the side of the frame tubes from mud being scraped on tubes when leaning on the bike racks.

Based on bikes ive sold with the kits you get most of your money back on it if not all. But you at least have a nice looking bike for the whole time you own it and you dont have to be precious with it.

epicyclo

STATO – Member
    …My current commute bike has been caked in mub and bounced off bike racks, give it a wash and it looks like new again, unlike the previous which has big scrapes down the side of the frame tubes from mud being scraped on tubes when leaning on the bike racks.

Based on bikes ive sold with the kits you get most of your money back on it if not all. But you at least have a nice looking bike for the whole time you own it and you dont have to be precious with it.

OK thanks for the info. I hadn’t thought about scraping on racks or chafe from bags.

wrecker
    Free Member

Took me about half hour on a brand new unbuilt frame. Buggered if I’d pay someone £100 to do it, whether they had to strip the bike or not.
    It’s really not that difficult if you follow the instructions. Make sure you have a squirty bottle.

chakaping
    Free Member

OK thanks for the info. I hadn’t thought about scraping on racks or chafe from bags.

It does protect against dents a bit, in the sort of slow speed unplanned dismounts into the rocks that I’ve experienced at places like Antur or Fort Bill.

I expected a dent or ugly scrape but there was just a bit of the film gouged away. Really impressed.

Couldn’t afford it when I changed bikes again though, sadly.

jolmes
    Free Member

Bucket of soapy water, music, instructions and cup of tea/beer what ever tickles your fancy. Crack on and do it yourself, not difficult at all and save the labour cost for cake/spare parts

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Invisiframe – fitted for you prices’ is closed to new replies.