Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Invisiframe by ubyk
  • giddyrob
    Free Member

Just had my Capra done by these guys. It’s on my Capra, which has very minimal chips.

Got it home and there are bubbles and contamination bits underneath the wrap. Where the chips are it’s spot on. I was advised that where the chips are there would be bubbles??? On closer inspection this is not true. I’ve done stickers on bikes before and classic sign of crap getting on the sticker is lumps underneath.

For £130 the frame looks worse.

I’m taking it back on Tuesday as I think this is a rushed job and not a good standard. Hopefully they see sense and do it again or give me my money back and admit it’s not their bag.

What are people’s thoughts and experience? No point wrapping the bike if it looks shit! Right?

tomhoward

Had both stif and invisiframe themselves do my bikes, both perfect.

Though I would say it’s job it’s to protect the frame, rather than anything else.

vincienup
    Free Member

While you shouldn’t have to do it, bubbles will squeegee out with a bit of soapy water and a suitable squeegee.

Can’t do much about crud under the film though other than heave it off and start again.

If I’d ballsed it up myself I’d probs live with it and if it was jsut bubbles I’d sort it myself rather than drag the bike back to the shop and argue the toss, but if you’ve just paid out £130 for the job (only £75 for materials so there’s a decent labour charge there) and they couldn’t be arsed doing the prep, I’d be asking them to take another look.

Shame they didn’t pay more attention when actually applying. Leaving aside that following the application instructions would have avoided the crud in the first place, before it set they could have had it off, sorted the problem and refloated it if they were careful. Now it’s going to cost them another kit.

Properly applied Invisiframe is great.

giddyrob
    Free Member

Exactly, I’ve seen people do it online. They should have got the crap out. Just a bit shonky really for that price. They’ll get the kit at cost so nice mark up for them.

I’m a developer and if I do shonky code it always bites me in the ass in the end!

singlespeedstu

Nope. Shouldn’t be any bubbles anywhere.
    Had mine done by Mr Invisframe and it was perfect even though he had his arm in a sling at the time.
    If he can do it one handed then a shop that’s charging more than getting it done by the man himself there’s something wrong.
    My experience was drop off frame, him tell me it might take a while as he hadn’t got a template for my frame size. Me drive home then get a call to say it was done and ready for collection. 🙂
    I only live an hour away.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Fitting it to a built bike is a pain as you have to disable and rebuild it so takes time. Not hard but time costs money.

But getting muck under it is a little poor as it should have been cleaned first

giddyrob
    Free Member

I stripped the bike before the job mate :/

mudhead84
    Free Member

After fitting a kit to my bike, the only way to not get some kind of crap underneath is to do it in lab conditions. I took said bike apart (brand new out of the box), cleaned the frame with IPA, yet still managed to trap loads of black bits of fluff between the wrap and my lime green frame. Obviously now, after a year or so I don’t notice it, was just annoying at the time. Can’t fault the wrap itself, fitted perfectly. If I had it done again, I would definitely send it to invisiframe to do as it was time consuming.

joemmo
    Free Member

Though I’m sure it’s something you would get quicker at with experience I did my own bike and it is a right faff – it took me about 3 evenings to do and that was on a brand new frame so unless the frame was clinically cleaned beforehand I wouldn’t be surprised if bits of crud got on the vinyl.

I did find that a few days later quite a few areas that I’d had to reposition and were a bit smudged looking had sorted themselves out so you may find it looks better in a couple days. Perhaps the adhesive takes a while to set.

It’s probably not a recommended technique but I used a needle to lance a few of the larger bubbles and squeegee them out. Seemed to work anyway

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep sharp blade works well to pop bubbles then push the water out

giddyrob
    Free Member

More the crap underneath. Shouldn’t have that. The frame was clean. The bits weren’t there when I sent it in.

pictonroad

After fitting a kit to my bike, the only way to not get some kind of crap underneath is to do it in lab conditions. I took said bike apart (brand new out of the box), cleaned the frame with IPA, yet still managed to trap loads of black bits of fluff between the wrap and my lime green frame.

Disagree with this, did it to my lime green frame (that had been used) not a single piece of dirt anywhere. Bought the autoglym tar remover and a brand new set of microfibres cloths. No dirt but Christ it took ages. 😡

I’d take it back if it’s a bright frame, live with it on a dark bike.

demelitia
    Free Member

One other effect of spraying the water about that doesn’t get mentioned much is the reduction in static build up it causes. You can clean the frame a million times and there will still be some little bit of fluff floating about that’ll want to ruin your day. With some of the hot weather we’ve been having the humidity plummets and static becomes a real problem.

If you’re fitting the kits yourself it’s a good idea to have one of the pump up pressure sprayers rather than the squeezy ones. Much easier to get a consistent layer of droplets on the frame with one; if you overload the frame with water it will just run off in sheets leaving areas dry. It also means if you get a bit of crap underneath one of the pieces you can adjust the spray to a jet and use it to help blast the bits off the adhesive with a little coaxing.
    A hair dryer is a handy thing to have to help any stubborn bits stick down, just make sure you’ve got rid of your bubbles or you’ll be sealing them in more with the heat.

If it was me, I’d be inclined to just ask for a refund and do it yourself. It’s not hard, just takes a little time and you’ll be more inclined to take it for your own bike.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Invisiframe by ubyk’ is closed to new replies.