Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Invisiframe alternatives
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Evening folks,

Can anyone point me in the direction of some clear covering that is as good quality as invisiframe material i.e. doesn’t yellow with time.

I’m loathe to spend £75 on some clear sticky back tape even if it is already cut to size.

Thanks in advance

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Bike tart

Not you the tape snarf snarf

chilled76
    Free Member

I’ll have a look cheers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Is Gorilla tape any good for this? I want to try and protect my Crush before it ends up like my other bikes.

frankconway

Bikeshield; about £25 a pack – all precut.
    I got some at Evans.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

You can’t compare, it ain’t apples with apples. However, if it’s rubbing spots and places where you could get paint damage then biketart etc will be fine.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just don’t ride your bike, then it looks perfect.

goby

Anything else they out of stock

Yak

3m bike tape from ebay? Any width too.

chilled76
    Free Member

I’m not asking for like for like. I’m asking for a sheet of the same/similar uv resistant material so Im not paying £75 for someone else to have cut it to size.

bueller
    Free Member

I believe invisframe sell the blank 3m sheets uncut, if you ask. Infact, it says so on the website. £25.80 for 600mm x 200mm.

wwaswas

Get a 50mm and 100mm wide strip of 3M stuff. They only use sheets because it makes the cutting easier for them. I thought Invisiframe sold uncut sheets themsleves though?

My experience – you’ll never get the quality of rounded corners (so the tape doesn’t get ‘picked up’ and start peeling) and cut outs (for cagebolts, guides etc) that they achieve on a diy basis and designing and cutting a complete frame kit out will make you think £75 is a good price to pay for a perfect fit.

chilled76
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Build cost is running away at the hence trying noto to spend nearly another £100 on some clear plastic

xyeti
    Free Member

Yep, wwaswas has hit the nail on the head. I had my Nomad done and you cant see it unless you really look.

The side vents they cut into the strips to stop it lifting on the indents and bends in the frameis something i couldnt achieve, i tried and ended up allowing grit and crap to get caught underneath where it bubbled and lifted as well as the other cut outs and blanks they do make it well worth it to me, If you are looking at doing it yourself and dont want to pay the cost of fitting etc then buy the strips BikeTart and fit it yourself.

tall_martin

http://www.justridingalong.com/copter-tape.html

I went for this over 3m off ebay. Worked fine but I didn’t round off a couple of corners when cutting and those bits are peeling after a few rides.

Round those corners:-)

hooli

Rhino film off ebay is good for a tenner, you heat it with a hairdrier to get it to go around corners. If you are prepared to put the time in, you can get a pretty good finish. I am not too bothered about a prefect finish, just wanted to protect the most vulnerable areas.

One tip is to round the corners slightly so there isn’t a corner to come unstuck.

canopy
    Free Member

i’ve used the matt rhino film as my frame is anodised. i used the first batch to protect the decals/stickers on my frame..

actually this has reminded me to get some more. next lot will protect rubbing points from things like mudguards and chainstays.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, but unless you’re very talented it’s true that it’ll be apples and oranges.

I’ve had two frames done by Lee at Invisiframe and both times have balked at the price initially, but thought it was great VFM once I’d got them back.

Are you gonna try to cover the whole frame or just the likely rub points?

canopy
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with doing it yourself, but unless you’re very talented it’s true that it’ll be apples and oranges.

true that.. i used the washing up liquid AND heat gun (which you have to be very careful with) the shapes were decent as i prototyped in paper first. the hard part is getting the bubbles out.

my advice. bank on it taking 3 times as long as you expect, and don’t skip the prep of the frame or the cutting. if you’re not patient this isn’t a job for you.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I think the stuff I got in the past was this – https://www.biketart.com/accessories-c5/bike-protection-c13/biketape-c124/biketape-invisible-bike-frame-protection-p5

Does the job and not noticed yellowing.

If you’re going to cover the whole frame then maybe paying for a service to do it is worth it. Personally I only see the point in protecting the vulnerable spots. Mainly downtube and cable rub areas. You can also get small round/oval shaped clear helitape patches for cable rub spots.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Invisiframe alternatives’ is closed to new replies.