Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Invincible bottom bracket
  • foxy77
    Free Member

I’m trying to change my bottom bracket, cranks off fine but am struggling with getting the sealed unit out. The whole thing is totally sealed. I have the tools but still I cant get it open….please any tips or help would be appreciated, it’s driving me nuts!!!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Fewer details please…..and no pictures.

wilburt
    Free Member

if its a hollow axle put a threaded bolt through it with washers to hold the socket in place then either put a scaffold pole on the socket wrench or (my preffered method) put the socket in a vice and turn the frame.

If its not hollow, you may need to fashion something using the axle nut thread to secure the socket.

Sealed unit= last for ever pain to change.
    BB30 = last a year changed in minutes.

jimplops

Turning the right way?

darrenspink
    Free Member

foxy77
    Free Member

Cheers wiburt…good advice.

padkinson
    Free Member

Given that there about a billion types of bottom bracket, it’d be useful if you told us what kind it is.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

If it’s a steel frame and an Alu BB, soak it in Coke (or Pepsi).

foxy77
    Free Member

It’s on a Saracen Mantra. A square tapered sealed cartridge is what I’m trying to change.

blastit
    Free Member

I strugged once where the tool kept slipping out when you applied pressure. I found the right bolt and bolted the tool into the BB so it didn’t keep slipping out, then held the tool in vice and used frame as lever. Had to warm up frame also with blow torch .Plenty of wd as well.
    You can also try using impact gun if the tool will fit. I have some 3/8 1/2 inch drive adapters for my impact gun .
    Also make sure you are turning it the right way as they are left and right handed. Drive side right handed.
    Hope that helps a little. 😀
    Blast

Phil_H

Use a crank bolt to hold the bb tool in place on the drive side, big ring spanner on the bb tool, stand on the spanner turning it clockwise.

RockWallaby
    Free Member

First, get some GIBBS penetrating oil and soak the BB over a period of a day to two. Put the tool into the vise and use the frame as the lever. If still stuck you can hit the bottom bracket shell with a rubber/nylon mallet (this may loosen the rust and make you feel better), do some more soaking with some GIBBS or use some hot water over the bottom bracket shell. When/if you get some movement, pour more GIBBS into the bottom bracket.

The only other thing is that ensure that you are removing the correct cup first (see link)
    https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/bottom-bracket-service-cartridge-type#article-section-2

Upon reassembly ensure a clean out of the BB shell and apply some anti-seize/copperslip onto the new BB.

andrewh
    Free Member

Use a crank bolt to hold the bb tool in place on the drive side, big ring spanner on the bb tool, stand on the spanner turning it clockwise.

This worked for my really really stuck one. I did have to buy a bigger spanner, 18″ or so, and slip a short scaffold pole over the end for even more leverage. A friend to stand on the frame while you do this is helpful

robvalentine

Have you tried removing drive side bit (I.E. main unit) first? I struggled to get a mate’s bb out of his steel frame, and the drive side came out relatively easily, despite loads of effort in removing tightening (non-driveside) first….

nwmlarge
    Free Member

is there a plug in the bottom of the shell or a cable guide?

You may be able to remove that and squirt some releasing agent in there?

Or if not then pour/squirt a load in via the seat tube

foxy77
    Free Member

Rock wallaby the hammer option sounds about right…this is driving me nuuutz. I like the sound or releasing agent. Can any body recommend any.
    I’m so determined to do this and everyone’s help is appreciated.

RockWallaby
    Free Member

The penetrating oil I use is GIBBS like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gibbs-Brand-Lubricant-2-12oz-cans/dp/B00AFJXIJQ

You have to take your time with this.

P-Jay
    Free Member

jivehoneyjive – Member
    If it’s a steel frame and an Alu BB, soak it in Coke (or Pepsi).

Virgin cola any good? I stockpiled a load of Pammies in the 90s, I’ve been telling people they’ll b me worth a fortune one day, but so far no dice.

scaredypants

blastit – Member
    … Drive side right handed

you sure? – vast majority of threaded BBs (in the UK at least) are LEFT hand thread on driveside, aren’t they ?

foxy77
    Free Member

Rock wallaby…thanks for your advice. Got it open, lots of ptfe and a large metal tube did it in the end. Happy days

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Invincible bottom bracket’ is closed to new replies.