• This topic has 46 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Earl.
Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Investing in stocks and shares for a beginner
  • Macavity
    Free Member
    bedmaker

Is there any difference just putting money into a spread bet on the FTSE compared to buying a tracker fund?

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Also,listen to a number of financial podcasts.Wake up to money,the motley fool,disciplined Investor,money box,moneytree podcast etc etc.Iain King live on sky news can also be useful.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

AND DON’T BORROW MONEY TO INVEST,PERIOD.

Dobbo

@ jambalaya I was meaning go for a tracker over active funds for US markets rather than individual stocks.

Stay away from spread betting IMO unless you really know what you’re doing or have a lot of money you’re prepared to lose.

footflaps

Even the well balanced US indexed funds are bringing in currently 140-150% return over 5 years.

Which is less than your minimum 15% per annum….

Look back over 10 years (to include the 2008) crash and their performance will be much much worse.

Like I say, list specific funds that have achieved >15% year on year over the last 10 years.

EDIT: Look at the NASDAQ over the last 5 years, any basic tracker would have achieved 200% cumulative growth (15% pa). This isn’t investor skill or great fund management, it’s just riding a rising market. Any fool can do that.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qHQstV]Nasdaq 5 yr[/url] by brf, on Flickr

However, look at it over 10 years and you aren’t doing quite so well, you cumulative year on year gain would be roughly half that (7% ish). I’d be impressed to see any major fund achieve 15% pa cumulative over that last 10 years (obviously higher risk, lower volume fund might, but they could just as easily fold as well).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qHQrpa]Nasdaq 10 yr[/url] by brf, on Flickr

Earl
    Free Member

bm

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Investing in stocks and shares for a beginner’ is closed to new replies.