Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Inverting your stem.
  • organic355
    Free Member

Why?

What are the benefits?

meandyuk

haha! to make the bars lower???

organic355
    Free Member

but doesnt it look odd with a downward sloping stem?

tomdebruin
    Free Member

for optimum results use a riser bar.

BigJohn

Fashion is more important than correct riding position.

steve_b77
    Free Member

You have to use bar ends too if you invert the stem 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

I read the title as 'inserting your stem'.

njee20
    Free Member

for optimum results use a riser bar.

With lots of headset spacers, so it really achieves nothing!

clubber
    Free Member

All depends.

No benefits as such, it's just about getting the bars in the right place.

Here's my Swift – with a flat bar and anything other than a negative rise stem, it's too high at the front

Here's my Enduro – in this pic, the stem is the right way round but I actually rode it with the stem inverted because that put the (riser) bars in the right place – I could have fitted a flat stem or flat bars but I didn't have them to hand so just stuck with what I had…

EDIT

steve_b77 – Member
    You have to use bar ends too if you invert the stem

Yay!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I run an inverted 60m stem with 760mm wide 'flat' nuke proof bars.

Don't knock it untill you've tried it, it feels wierd when you first throw a leg over it as the bars are even lower than a road bike. But as soon as you get onto some singletrack the extra weight on the front gives massively more grip and you really do stop noticeing the wierdness of it.

Guess you need long hamstrings though, I can get my palms flat on the foor without bending my knees, otherwise its a recipie for lower back problems. I'm ok on it for about 3-4 hours before I get any back pain, and thats probably as much due to a stiff frame as it is the riding position.

Try it, no need to wory about the fasion police, just remove spacers and invert your stem and see how it feels. I did and the next day ordered a shorter stem and flat bars and will probably never look back!

organic355
    Free Member

I may try it, been getting some lower back pain on climbs and been thinking my bars may be too high.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

getting some lower back pain on climbs and been thinking my bars may be too high.

Also check your saddle height – I spent ages trying to figure out why I was in agony from lower back pain when riding and it turned out the seat post had slipped by 15mm or so. Was enough for my hips to be rocking without noticing it. Put it back up and all was well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Inverting your stem.’ is closed to new replies.