• This topic has 22 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Inverness to Dalwhinnie via Fort Augustus.
  • stanfree
    Free Member

I’ve got some time off in the first week of March , Im planning visiting my folks up in Elgin . I was thinking on the way back getting the train to Inverness and going down the Great Glen to Fort Augustus then heading over the Corrieyairick Pass to either Newtonmore or Dalwhinnie and picking up the train back to Embra.
    I can either take my Orange hardtail or Cx but was wondering the time it would take. Im not a race snake but not entirely unfit either. Any help would be appreciated for info. I understand it may not even be possible if the weather is bad as Im told the top of the Corrie is very exposed.

Thanks Stan..

scotroutes

I’d take the hardtail – and allow a full day. (I assume you’re meaning the GGW, in which case I’d also recommend taking the High Level route)

And yes, the top of the pass will likely have snow cover (assuming what we’ve had today hangs around and is topped up).

Also, check the Dalwhinnie train times. They don’t all stop there.

coconut
    Free Member

Sustrans route 7. Wonderful ride. Dalwhinny to inverness over 2days via avimore.

stanfree
    Free Member

Just noticed Kinguissie has a better train service than Dalwhinnie. im thinking train to Inverness from elgin and hopefully be in Inverness 9.30 – 10 ish. Does 5 – 6 hrs sounds about right with a wee stop for something to eat in Fort Augustus. ? Also im presuming its fairly well signed. ?

whitestone
    Free Member

Possibly – KOM for the Corrieairack Pass From Fort Augustus is 56mins – he took 3hrs from FA to Aviemore Scotroutes will have some times for the Loch Ness section no doubt.

highlandman
    Free Member

Inverness rail station to FA is going to take more than three hours on the top route, even assuming you know where you’re going at every junction. There’s a bit of climbing in it.
    Finding the start of the Corrieyairick from the village isn’t entirely straightforward either, so allow for that too.
    Crossing the Pass to Laggan takes a while and is very weather dependant up at 800m. I’d plan on at least three hours again, to make sure you don’t cut it too fine. Snowdrifts across the track are likely in March and will eat into your schedule. Finally, Kingussie isn’t right alongside Laggan, so you’ll need time for the road section to the station.
    I’d be more interested in enjoying the ride than blasting along with your head down. I’d also be looking at turning right at Laggan, then going in at Ardverickie then via Loch Pattack to Ben Alder Lodge and along Loch Ericht to the station at Dalwhinnie. Long day… but very scenic.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for the info , maybe one for the summer then . I think I may reconsider and maybe take the cx bike and do the great glen way then train back from Fort Bill . Or train to Aviemore in the morning and do a loop from there. Cheers folks.

whitestone
    Free Member

An alternative (that might also have snow at the highest point):

Dalwhinnie to Ben Alder Lodge, then Loch Pattack and down to Ardverikie House, take the track to Lochan na h’Earba then at the end of the loch turn left and head up to Bealach Leamhain and down the other side back to Loch Pattack and back to Dalwhinnie.

One thing to note (and I found this out the hard way just before New Year) is that if there isn’t any snow then all that water is likely to be in the burns and rivers 😳 Taking half an hour to build stepping stones to cross swollen water courses isn’t fun after the third or fourth.

scotroutes

There’s a way of getting from Inverness to Aviemore that’s 90% off road and 95% suitable for a CX bike. Interested?

highlandman
    Free Member

I’d be intrigued to see that route- might be useful on one of my longer ‘crossing the country’ trips…

kcal

I fancy revisiting the GGW some time. And the Corrieyairack, happy days doing the Challenge :/

Or, from Elgin, with the CX bike — head down the Speyside Way, through Grantown, through Nethy Bridge, out past Aviemore and to Kingussie. Stop. Next day, tackle the Gaick Pass and pick up train at Blair Atholl..

stanfree
    Free Member

Hey Druidh that sounds interesting , I’d definately be up for that . Any more info also thanks for the replies folks , I’ll look into the speyside way apparently you can avoid the gated section.

kcal

yes, you can stan — I hope off the SW at Delnapots, and just follow the very quiet and lovely back road into Grantown..

kcal

go on then @scotroutes, I’m tempted. At least a clue – W or E of the A9 ?!

scotroutes

Both.

I’ll get a GPX/map/route description up (probably tomorrow)

kcal

okay doke. cheers ears.
    I’m eyeing up what look like possible tracks over the Dava moor that would connect Dulsie Bridge area and Carrbridge / Duthil, need volunteer to try and link all that together 🙂

scotroutes

Yeah, I suspect my VeloViewer Explorer activities will eventually take me into that area. Not one to be riding in the winter though.

scotroutes

OK, route is here;

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/1999978421

It’s currently routing from Aviemore northward but I’m sure you can do the necessary. It follows the old military road where possible/practical.

Couple of points

[list]

[*]The section just north of Bridge of Fallie involves a narrow track through some gorse bushes. Should normally be OK though.[/*]
    [*]Between NH762343 and Lynemore is extremely broken and boggy. It would be easier riding along the (shoulder of the) A9 until you see a track going down to Moy. I’m hoping this section might be improved somewhat when the dualling is finished (I’ve made some suggestions to the road planners).[/*]
    [*]Tomatin to Moy could also be done on the road (part of NCN7). The route I’ve plotted works best as a descent (i.e. going north)[/*]
    [*]Staying on NCN7 at Slochd summit to Ians house as Slochd Mor is also a possibility and obviously required less route finding)[/*]
    [*]Between Sluggan Bridge and Aviemore you could again use NCN 7 and the tracks through Carrbridge Woods/Boat of Garten/Speyside Way. There are multiple options in this area depending on how direct you want it or how much playing around you want to do in the woods..[/*]
    [/list]

Happy to take questions 🙂

As you might expect, I’ve even blogged it

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2014/10/looking-for-wade-again.html

kcal

ah, looks like I’ll need to create a mmr account —

scotroutes

Bollocks.

http://www.scotroutes.com/Routes/MTB/Avie2Inv.gpx (Right Click/Save as… )

Davesport

@stanfree I’ve done the Dalwhinnie to Corry summit stretch. I’ll have a chat next time I see you.

stanfree
    Free Member

Thanks for the gpx route Scotroutes , Aye dave Ill catch you soon.

kcal

:thumbs up: I hope that this year I’ll venture further and wider and be just a bit more adventurous, looks like a good place to start..

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Inverness to Dalwhinnie via Fort Augustus.’ is closed to new replies.