Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Inverness for one day – Great Glen Way or tarmac?
  • MarcSussex
    Free Member

I have one day in Inverness to do as I please and intend to hire a bike to do some riding.

Should I do an out and back along the Great Glen Way or hire a road bike for some tarmac bashing?

I have never been to the area before and I’m looking for views/nice scenery etc so which would be best for that? (If it’s wet it’ll be GGW by default).

What kind of distance is Fort Augustus from Inverness? just wondering where would be a good turning point on GGW.

Reasonably fit and not afraid of hills.

Any advice welcome thanks.

Spin
    Free Member

Inverness to Fort Augustus and back on the GGW would be quite a big day 80 miles ish? Good though, especially by the new high level variation. The other obvious turning point is Drumnadrochit where you can get cake. You could also combine this with the trails at Abriachan and Craig Dunain.

Roadwise, there are nice loops via Cannich or Farr/Garbole.

Spin
    Free Member

Should add that the GGW is pleasant riding rather than technical.

jimmy

I’d go a loop of Loch Ness. The northside offroad route has good views over the loch, haven’t done the southside road route but its high on my To-do list. I think the hardest bit hill-wise would be from Drumnadrochit to Fort Augustus from what I know, but haven’t ridden. (I’ve only ridden Drumnadrochit to Inverness and back).

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve done a lap of Loch Ness on the road and I’d not recommend it if the traffic is heavy, could get annoying. Otherwise it is nice scenery and really not all that hard or long, the road climb out of Fort Augustus is the only stiff bit, although that does drag on a fair bit.

kcal

GGW then round the south side of Loch Ness – bit of navigation should yield an off road option or at least quieter roads (Dores, Foyers). Bit of a big day though especially if you’re unfamiliar with the area.

epicyclo

Whatever you do, don’t ride the road on the south side of Loch Ness. I have had more near misses there than anywhere else in my life.

Some good suggestions.

One I like to do on the road is out towards Dores, then up the hill (somewhat steep) to Loch Duntelchaig and back via more back roads.
    Another is to cross the Kessock Bridge and do a loop of the Black Isle. Dive off to the left when over the bridge to follow the shoreline to Redcastle and work it out from there. Basically trying to follow the sea all the way round and keeping off the main roads. Cromarty has some good refuelling stops. 🙂

Great Glen Way isn’t hard. I’ve done it on a 20″ wheel folding bike. However some nice scenery, and stop at Rory’s Cafe for an unusual dining experience (if it’s still there – been a few years since I’ve done it)

MarcSussex
    Free Member

Thanks all.

@Spin “with the trails at Abriachan and Craig Dunain” are these easy to find from the GGW? What kind of trails are they, I would be a on hired hardtail and not looking for anything particularly gnarr.

@epicycle – I read your 20″ wheeled effort post. I like the look of the Redcastle loop but maybe Dores direction offers more in the way of scenery??

I think weather at the time will be the deciding factor of GGW or road (I do both).

scotroutes

I work at Ticket to Ride bike hire in Inverness and deal with this query on a daily basis 🙂

GGW to Abriachan, play around on the trails, visit the most unique eco-cafe and back is a decent day for most folk. There are more serious DH trails around the mast above Craig Phadraig too.

The A82 is best avoided. Not that there are lots of accidents but it’s really unpleasant for cycling.

South side of Loch Ness has lots of quiet roads yoy can link up. Dave Barter features one route in his “Best British Cycling” book. Good cafe at Foyers and publish at Dores.

The Black Isle and Beauly Firth are other good road routes but we can provide GPX files given some notice and a decent outline of requirements.

Spin
    Free Member

@Spin “with the trails at Abriachan and Craig Dunain” are these easy to find from the GGW?

The Abriachan trails are marked and you can download a PDF map. The GGW goes right past them. The stuff around Craig Dunain is not marked and varies from pleasant to bonkers. There are offshoots from the GGW and the mobile phone mast is also a good starting point. Where are you hiring from? Whoever it is should be able to point you in the right direction.

stevious

When I find myself back up there with a bike I almost always head for the roads around Loch Duntelchaig and Loch Ruthven.

epicyclo

stevious – Member
    When I find myself back up there with a bike I almost always head for the roads around Loch Duntelchaig and Loch Ruthven.

I used to love that climb up from Darris (just before Dores) passing the McBean memorial.

A gutbuster, but probably easy enough with gears. Must go and have another go.

Edit: in fact I might just go into Snecky and do that ride tomorrow.

murf
    Free Member

I live in Drumnadrochit and often cycle along the A82 to the Clansman hotel, then up some single track and road to abriachan, do a lap of the trails up there and then scoot down the GGW back to Drum. 22 miles all in and some decent trails that drain well and are fine in the wet.

We’ve some tasty natural single track too that us MTB locals have built 🙂

When are you visiting?

dahedd
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden at Abriachan since the week before my daughter was born so 8 years, bloody hell. Sounds like its changed a fair bit. Might have to take a wander over & give it another try.

FOG

Another vote for the Black Isle, nice road riding and off road at Learnie Red Rocks

MarcSussex
    Free Member

@scotroutes – I intend to hire from Ticket to Ride

Thanks all, I appreciate all the suggestions and will look into them.

ransos
    Free Member

The military road to the south/ east of Loch Ness is quiet and scenic, whereas the A82 is horrid.

scotroutes

@scotroutes – I intend to hire from Ticket to Ride

🙂

TBH I don’t think anyone else in the area does road bikes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Inverness for one day – Great Glen Way or tarmac?’ is closed to new replies.