• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Introduction, thanks to bagstard and DH noob Q's
  • petehunjan
    Free Member

Hi all,

My first proper post here, so just saying hello. I’ve only just got back into mtb after a break of nearly 10 years, so I’m a bit rusty but getting there. I enjoy xc, mostly riding around Woburn, but would like to do some dh stuff.

Aston hill is quite near me, and I paid a visit there last week to check it out. I met bagstard there in the car park who very kindly offered to take me down the red run and dh3. (So if you read this, thankyou very much for your time and I hope my crashing technique kept you amused!!) . . Well, after 4 crashes, I realised that I don’t have the skill for Aston hill, so I need to find somewhere more suited for DH noobies.

What would you guys / gals say is a good easy place to start off? The problems i had with AH is its quite steep, the tracks are quite narrow and rooty, and some of the turns are quite sharp. Somewhere a bit less steep and slightly wider tracks would be ideal.

I’ve narrowed it down to Cannock (DH run), swinley forest (but don’t know where the dh runs are and have never been there), or FOD (never been there either). What would you wise folks suggest??

Thanks in advance

Pete

Bagstard
    Free Member

Hi Pete,

it was good to meet you and your crashes were very entertaining, those knee pads did their job! 🙂

Swinley would be a good venue for you to get some confidence, but forget specific DH runs, just get your teeth into some good single track. Look out for STW group rides or try and blag a guide from here, as it can be a bit of a maze.

As we discussed, a skills day would be a good idea and would be the fastest way to improve and gain confidence. As myself and many others will tell you, it is the best upgrade you will make. This is quite a helpful book, but a day with jedi will be much better.

Chicksands is worth a visit for practicing jumps and drops too.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Cwm Carn and FOD.

Book on the uplift at CC and just go session some of the tracks at FOD.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Given that Aston was a bit much, Cwmcarn certainly would be.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Aston Hill is harder than Cwm Carn though. No doubt about it IMO.

CC is flatter, wider and far less technical. Even the black isn’t really that hard, the red is comparable with an XC trail.

chakaping
    Free Member

forget specific DH runs, just get your teeth into some good single track.

Good advice.

Maybe try Surrey Hills too, brilliant trails there and something for all levels. Try to get on a ride with somebody who knows their way around.

xiphon
    Free Member

Sounds like you have much to learn, before getting loose on a full blown DH track like Cwmcarn.

Any trail with a descent should be sufficient practise until your confidence increases…..

Bagstard
    Free Member

Cwmcarn is running very fast at the moment and given it’s rocky nature it is one of the few tracks I armour up for. The OP is looking for places to ease into mountain biking and gain confidence. No offence to Pete, but I fear Cwmcarn DH would scare him off.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Fair enough. Where do you live Pete? Do you ride the more DH trails at Woburn? Jedi used to teach on these and they’re going to be comparable to most of the stuff at FOD in terms of sessioning corners etc.

Green

Now you know where you are going at Aston Hill I’d say head back up there again on your own and spend the whole session on the red run, riding it over and over until you are more confident, focus on getting just one section right at a time.

I’ve only just started riding downhill myself, Rogate is local to me, the first time I went I hated it, felt just too hard, but I forced myself to complete 10 runs down one track in that first afternoon. There were sections I couldn’t ride (still on this one track), but I just built up to them over the following weeks.

Tuition definately helps. I had a session with jedi about 18 months ago, well before I thought about DH. Everything he taught me can be applied to DH.

soobalias
    Free Member

at AH, the red/xc and the top section of DH3 which is easily repeatable without dragging back up from the bottom… are good starters IMO

petehunjan
    Free Member

Hi all and thanks for all your answers.

Scott, I agree with you about CC. I don’t feel confident in that from what I have heard. I have ordered the book off amazon, thanks for the link and I have been in contact with Jedi.

xiphon, yes, I have a lot to learn. AH was quite daunting but the first bits of the red run and dh3 werent too bad, so I may go back and just do the first bits. I’m ok on most singletrack (fitness could be a bit better!!) but I just want to push myself a bit if that makes sense.

Does anyone know where the best area is in Woburn for DH?? All I can find is nice singletrack with small descents and a few roots. Can anyone give me any suggestions where to look?

Cheers
    Pete

timmys

Does anyone know where the best area is in Woburn for DH?? All I can find is nice singletrack with small descents and a few roots. Can anyone give me any suggestions where to look?

The play area is here;
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=493136&Y=235100&A=Y&Z=115

There are a few nice DH runs to practice on. Look for the “The Transfer Line”, which is probably the easiest, but “DT Line” (bit steep/tight at top) and the “Hip Line” (couple of drops but they can be by-passed till you are confident) might be suitable too (as well as others probably…). There are signs at the top of the runs or just ask around (and buy a permit).

scruff
    Free Member

Cannock Chase ( specifically Stile Cop) has over 9 different DH trails of all sorts, 1-1.30min runs and a 5-10 minute push up, nothing steep but a few more built features like jumps and drops than alot of other places.

petehunjan
    Free Member

Ok, cool. I know where the play area is at Woburn I’ve just been looking in the wrong places 🙂
    Stile cop sounds good from what I’ve researched on moredirt, and there’s plenty to do by the looks of it. I’ll probably give that a go. Which of the dh tracks would peeps advise?

Thanks again for everyone’s input

Pete

Jamz
    Free Member

I would say the dh stuff at Woburn would be perfect for learning on. It’s mostly very mellow, all the tracks are short so you can walk them first, pretty much all roll-able too. It’s perfect for hardtails and short travel full suspension bikes. Once you’ve mastered the basics at Woburn, Aston is an ideal next step, some great little tracks there.

5AM
    Free Member

Peter I was in the same boat not that long ago, so can understand exactly how you feel at the mo.

The best thing you could do by far is go and see Tony (Jedi,) to install the basic skill sets to your riding. I can’t sing his praises enough and am certain my riding would be nowhere near the level it is if it hadn’t been for him.

Once you’ve been there Swinley is a good option ( I’d be happy to show you around 1 weekend,) as it has some fun and forgiving DH runs. Avoid Cwmcarn for the minute as IMO it is no easier than Aston, and the runs go on much longer. Best left until you’re feeling a little more confident.
    Chicksands is also good for practicing what you’ve learnt, I find the dual track great for this and there’s nothing there that you shouldn’t be able to manage.

I haven’t been to Woburn yet, but maybe see you there sometime.

petehunjan
    Free Member

Course date with Jedi booked 🙂

Sadly not until end of November, but this gives me a chance to find and practice some of the downhill tracks at Woburn.

Thanks again for all your help, and keep the good advice coming.

Cheers
    Pete

Bagstard
    Free Member

Pete, I am free to ride most thursday or friday afternoons, so give me a shout if you fancy going to Woburn and I will show you around.

5AM has offered to guide you around Swinley, so take him up on that too and you will get a good mix of trails between the two.

email in profile mate.

jedi

cheers for the props guys 🙂
    see you soon pete

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Introduction, thanks to bagstard and DH noob Q's’ is closed to new replies.