Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Intolerance and Vitriol – you know who you are
  • Sui
    Free Member

Any chance there is going to be a single post where there isn’t some vitriol thrown around at people with different opinions? What this referendum has done is highlight the complete intolerance and almost hypocritical views of what democracy is all about.

Social media, including this place is awash with snide remarks, bordering on bullying and people wonder why the leave campaign won.. I’ve seen a very different side to many people i thought i knew well, but then a surprising side to those that i did not. quite disgusted really.

on this site alone we’ve had directed at the “leave camp” –

****ts
    elder generation ruining it for everyone else
    stupid
    racist
    xenophobic
    un-educated
    ignorant masses
    poor
    lower class
    daily mail readers
    sun readers
    guardian readers

And people who have even gone a step further in their personal lives

Someone who thinks their relationship with the GF is effectively over due to a different opinion
    voted based on fear, hate an prejudice
    embarrassed by her at the moment

Where else do you see this – oh yes on the extreme with Daesh (or whatever they wish to be known as), or radical preachers of whatever religion – seriously how do you think this looks, why do you think people have back-lashed?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And on the hand wringing “can’t we all just be friends side”…….

Where else do you see this – oh yes on the extreme with Daesh (or whatever they wish to be known as), or radical preachers of whatever religion –

cinnamon_girl

Some good points there Sui. I’ve been shocked by some of the Forumites, people who I’d previously thought were decent human beings have turned into downright nasty individuals.

Horrible. 😐

Coyote
    Free Member

Some good points. It was a free vote and folk voted as they felt. A good chunk of my circle voted out, possibly more than voted remain. Will I fall out with any of them? Probably not. I voted remain as I genuinely thought that was the best. Arguing with friends and colleagues about what’s done is pointless. I am genuinely worried about the direction we will take when BJ and Pob take over though.

If I am angry with anyone it’s Cameron. Jumping ship like the spineless cowardly bastard that he is causing more uncertainty when what we need are calm heads.

munrobiker
    Free Member

A lot of people have potentially had their futures shat on. They have every right to be cross.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Intolerance and Vitriol

That’s going to be the name of the flat roofed pub I plan on opening.

JAG

No one knows IF their future has been shat on. That’s the whole point – it could all turn out lovely and we should wait and see before going “off-on-one” at anybody else.

This is a democratic country if anyone doesn’t like it they can leave 😀

(I voted REMAIN by the way)

the-muffin-man

A lot of people have potentially had their futures shat on improved. They have every right to be cross happy.

FTFY

(for balance!)

cinnamon_girl

They have every right to be cross.

Nobody has a right to spout vitriol. There is a difference.

Sui
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member
    A lot of people have potentially had their futures shat on. They have every right to be cross.

plenty of other topics covering the “facts”, the point remains, at this time it’s nothing more than uncertainty (as you pointed out). i’m not so sure “being cross” is a good excuse for what I’ve read on social media throughout this referendum.

edit – beaten to it by you lot with fast fingers!

Kryton57

Sui – Member – Any chance there is going to be a single post where there isn’t some vitriol thrown around at people with different opinion

****ts

How hypocritical.

Sui
    Free Member

****ts
    How hypocritical.

that was a comment i was quoting from other posts, not me abusing people..

SaxonRider

A lot of people have potentially had their futures improved. They have every right to be happy.

I know you’re trying to be light-hearted, the-muffin-man, but do you believe that? If so, in what way might people have just had their futures improved? I’m genuinely struggling to understand how voting to leave the EU will make an actual, positive difference to people’s lives, as opposed to the actual, negative difference it can almost certainly make to others’.

dumbbot
    Free Member

people are ****, you should lower your expectations and be disappointed a lot less.

cinnamon_girl

It’s nothing to do with expectations, it’s all to do with poor behaviour.

brassneck

If I am angry with anyone it’s Cameron. Jumping ship like the spineless cowardly bastard that he is causing more uncertainty when what we need are calm heads.

I’m no fan of CMD, but seriously did he have a choice? He’d bet his (and Osbournes) political future on this, they no longer have legitimacy.. less than this has created leadership contests in the past, and it’d just be dragging it out to try and stay. He’d also already indicated he wouldn’t stay past (next election? Can’t remember, wasn’t listening, as I said, not a huge fan), staying on as a lame duck does no one any favours.

Harry_the_Spider

We have two stock market linked endowments about to mature, a pension that will take a beating and a mortgage.
    I have a child who will need care from the NHS for the rest of her life.
    I work for a European company.

The future is looking a little shakier than it did this time last year.
    Being “stiffed” by some people who don’t know why they did it other than they don’t like foreigners or the government is a little upsetting.

I’m not going to resort to name calling though. What is the point?

the-muffin-man

I know you’re trying to be light-hearted, the-muffin-man, but do you believe that?

I’m either way really – I changed my mind many times during this debate and eventually voted Remain.

Some will win from this, some will lose. But that’s life in general anyway.

The last financial crisis killed my family business off and I went bankrupt so I’ve seen all sides.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It’s nothing to do with expectations, it’s all to do with poor behaviour.

It’s also actions and consequences.

You cannot expect the 75% of under 25’s (and 55% of 25-50) to simply be quiet about the fact their future just got a whole lot more difficult.

DrJ

So I’m supopsed to listen to this guy and say “Oh well, he has a right to his vote and his opinion, so no matter if it buggers up my life in some way”?

Really?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/683029/man-votes-leave-twitter-adam-bbc

The last financial crisis killed my family business off and I went bankrupt so I’ve seen all sides.

So doesn’t that make you a little more sympathetic to folk who may now be in that situation?

cinnamon_girl

I’m oot.

atlaz
    Free Member

Nobody has a right to spout vitriol. There is a difference.

I think you’re misunderstanding what vitriol means. Ignoring the chemical science meaning, it really just means bitter criticism. I don’t think that’s at all misplaced. We’ve had an event of far reaching consequence and even those in the winning campaign have no idea what they’re going to do now.

As for the mudslinging about uneducated, old and poor, the demographics of the leave voters are more firmly in those camps if you believe the polls (check the Guardian for an example). It’s not rude to suggest the vote has been heavily changed by rhetoric from the leave campaign engaging voters who ordinarily don’t bother (see Trump et al in the USA for further examples). Lies and half truths combined with scaremongering (the first one almost exclusively on behalf of the leave campaign) have caused huge damage to “togetherness” in the UK. Only time will tell if leaving the EU will be as damaging.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I must now declare my intolerance of wilful ignorance, British/English nationalism/jingoism, racial discrimination, scare-mongering, hypocrisy and prejudice.

Stupidity is slightly different, as the stupid may not be able to do anything about it.

Markie
    Free Member

****ts
    stupid
    racist
    xenophobic
    un-educated
    ignorant masses
    poor
    lower class
    daily mail readers
    sun readers
    guardian readers

Given the breakdown of the vote and the reaction to the result, that (with the exception of ****ts) seems to be a pretty reasonable list…

Aristotle
    Free Member

Markie – Member

Given the breakdown of the vote and the reaction to the result, that (with the exception of ****ts) seems to be a pretty reasonable list…

Yes, I’d say so too.

toppers3933
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    I’m oot.

Apparently we’re all oot.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the Guardian reader who voted leave

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/24/brexit-democracy-i-voted-leave-divisions-campaigns

****ts
    stupid
    racist
    xenophobic
    un-educated
    ignorant masses
    poor
    lower class
    daily mail readers
    sun readers
    guardian readers

is he in more than one category?

Aristotle
    Free Member

As an educated English man, interested in current affairs, with a rational outlook and of young(ish) years, I feel that my views and vote have been swamped by hordes of

stupid
    racist
    xenophobic
    un-educated
    ignorant masses
    poor
    lower class
    daily mail readers
    sun readers

(-I’m not sure about the Guardian readers)

spoiling my country and the rest of the EU for everybody else for the wrong reasons.

mefty
    Free Member

Well it is extraordinary that people like yourself and Aristotle who obviously have such above average gifts were unable to persuade them of the merits of your arguments – maybe your arguments are not quite as strong as you think or maybe you didn’t even try.

zokes
    Free Member

Really can’t argue with that.

Edukator
    Free Member

who don’t know why they did it other than they don’t like foreigners

There’s one word for that in the list. Call a spade a spade not a hand-held ferrous-bladed implement for digging holes.

Aristotle
    Free Member

mefty – Member

Well it is extraordinary that people like yourself and Aristotle who obviously have such above average gifts were unable to persuade them of the merits of your arguments – maybe your arguments are not quite as strong as you think or maybe you didn’t even try.

It isn’t that extraordinary really.

Very few people want detailed facts or explanations, they want simple and quick “solutions” to their perceived problems and will seize upon the slightest justification for their quickly-formed views.

Populism appeals to simple emotions.

Fear works.

What is interesting is that fear of losing jobs/money -a typically pretty rational fear- seems to have been over-shadowed by fear of “foreigners” (immigration, EU laws etc.) and some very misleading numbers about relatively small EU contributions in this referendum.

How many of the population would have been interested in or cared about the EU investment in scientific research, for example?

ps. I did what I could and surprised myself by persuading a few undecided people to vote to Remain.

soobalias
    Free Member

good intentions OP, but now just another boring ranty thread.

im gonna hide in the bike room till it all blows over
    #deletes social media apps

matt_outandabout

Any chance there is going to be a single post where there isn’t some vitriol thrown around at people with different opinions?

Riding bikes is good.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Too late now, you can’t blame your out vote on an unconvincing in campaign.

The FTSE100 lost £100billion in 100minutes this morning, or in ‘shiny red bus with a slogan on it terms’, Brexit did more damage to 100 companies in 1hour 40minutes than it would cost to be a member of the EU until 2036.

And you can’t say we didn’t warn you that it would happen.

kimbers

Working in a cancer research lab, with UK (non commercial) science getting around 20% of its funding from the EU and working with a large number of Europeans, Im hearing a lot of the above

I think the problem is that its very very hard to see a rational explanation for voting leave, certainly from my perspective

soobalias
    Free Member

CBA

jimdubleyou

maybe your arguments are not quite as strong as you think or maybe you didn’t even try.

Maybe he just doesn’t know that many people, so whatever he did wouldn’t have made that much of a difference.

DezB
    Free Member

Why couldn’t people have just stuck the original thread? There are 26 threads about the referendum on the front page! I’m going to post this on every thread 😆

km79
    Free Member

Or maybe he just doesn’t associate with many

****ts
    stupid
    racist
    xenophobic
    un-educated
    ignorant masses
    poor
    lower class
    daily mail readers
    sun readers
    guardian readers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Intolerance and Vitriol – you know who you are’ is closed to new replies.