Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • into the wild
  • jedi

on ch4 now. awesome film

nickname
    Free Member

Didn’t recognise the film until Eddie Vedder arrived 😉

jedi

guarranteed is my theme music 🙂

tonyg2003

great film and all the sadder since is a true story

jedi

sad? its glorious

martinxyz
    Free Member

watching it.
    will look for soundtrack some other time.

finners

amazing. the eddie veder ost makes the film. i have it on HD….top 5 films of all time…

palmer77
    Free Member

The beauty of it all lives on in the tragedy of the tale…

jedi

happiness is not happiness unless its shared 🙂

palmer77
    Free Member

But do you think he genuinely forgave his parents?

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Superb movie. The soundtrack is one of my top ten albums of all time!
    On the other channel however is “Inside Man” which is also a cracking movie!

carlphillips
    Free Member

its an even better read, sanme title by jon kraukaur (sp?) he’s some kind of mountaineer type

Waderider
    Free Member

It’s an easy thing to say, but in this case it’s true, the book is better.

Chris’ character in the film is one dimensional. In the book I think the reader developes a much more complicated opinion on his actions, because his arrogance and ‘not living in the real world’ doesn’t just come across as romantic. Sometimes he just comes across as an arse in the book.

Plus of course, having read the book you know the truer story.

adsb
    Free Member

Second that, book is a cracking read. J K is a really great writer and gets deep into what makes the guy tick – take a look at ‘Into Thin Air’ too, absolute classic by the same author.

kudos100
    Free Member

It was hyped up to me so much, inevitably when I watched it, it didn’t live up to the hype. Still a great movie and one I shall watch again very soon.

Carpediem
    Free Member

Into thin air is a great read of the Everest disaster in 1996,only downside is JK slags of the efforts of anatoli boukreev, a guide on Scott Fishers team who saved lives during that storm while JK whimpered in his tent !!

From Wiki: Boukreev became widely known as the lead climbing guide for the Mountain Madness expedition headed by Scott Fischer, in May 1996. The expedition was one of several attempting to summit Everest on the same day (May 10th), resulting in eight deaths; Boukreev rescued a number of climbers stranded in the ensuing disaster, and indeed all six of the climbing clients on the Mountain Madness expedition survived the ordeal.
    The Wall Street Journal described his rescue efforts as:
    “ One of the most amazing rescues in mountaineering history performed single-handedly a few hours after climbing Everest without oxygen by a man some describe as the Tiger Woods of Himalayan climbing.

mrplow
    Free Member

I think he was v selfish.

adsb
    Free Member

Good shout Carpe diem, JK did indeed stay in his tent while anatoli boukreev was out looking for survivors. Boukreev sadly died a few years ago (Anupurna…?).

Joe Simpson writes about it in ‘This Game of Ghosts’ – another great wilderness writer

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

into thin air is an awesome book.

read ‘the climb’ by anatoli boukreev for his version of events….

IanMunro
    Free Member

Was ‘This Game of Ghosts’, the one where he described his incomprehension and anger how you could just let someone die, alone, a few feet away from tent? That was terribly harrowing.

atlaz
    Free Member

jedi – Member
    sad? its glorious

Can’t say I’d agree. A bloke struggling to deal with things deciding to head off into the interior inadequately prepared and eventually starving to death. Mind you not seen the film, only read the book so perhaps they try to make it uplifting somehow. Would agree that in the book, he’s not the most sympathetic character. Sounds like he could be a nice guy at times.

The whole Everest thing is something we’ll never get to the bottom of. Loads of people have slightly different versions and honestly, I don’t think many of the main protagonists come off particularly well. Boukreev probably shouldn’t have been guiding without oxygen, Fisher shouldn’t have let him, Krakauer could probably have gone out to help when asked (although I know he says he was wiped out). ultimately, I’d imagine everyone did their best when things went wrong.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘into the wild’ is closed to new replies.