Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Interchangeable car body panels
  • WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Okay, dubious video quality and still work in progress but you get the idea of what I have recently been wasting my time, effort and money on.

It takes about 15 minutes to change the front end over

Feel free to slate it, it is mine and I like it 🙂

dooosuk
    Free Member

a) the camera work gives me a headache
    b) you could of worn the same shirt

🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

the panels on the little Smart car are interchangeable – the kids on the street where a mate lived used to swap his round with the woman’s Smart up the road for a laugh – when they weren’t bumping it to fit longitudinally between two trees.

stumpy01

Interesting idea – I think the original nose suits the rest of the car better though…..

And what is going on with that camera? Has it got a blancmange setting?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

The camera is my wife walking around generally waving the camera towards the car and then YouTube ‘auto stabilizing’ it. The original nose was designed with the tail so yes, probably does suit it a bit better as it is more curvy but it looks better than I feared.

Here is what the nose was designed to fit and hopefully my nose will be similar once prepped and painted

As you can see, it has a longer and less curvy rear end

wwaswas

Thought there a touch of the 250GT’s about the nose 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yeah, I like the second one but the rear needs changing too, to that one ^^

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Front end change is 4 bolts and 2 electric connectors and 15 minutes.

The rear end is a lot more involved as it requires door skins fitting etc.

mattbee

I know the one it’s inspired by doesn’t have one but I think a rear bumper of some sort in chrome would make the back end look less rounded and would suit the new front end a little more.
    Sure paint will make it look much better too.

globalti
    Free Member

Fact: in the 1970s at the height of their nastiness BL had a standard door, aound which they designed all their cars; Maestro, Montego, Princess, Allegro. Advanced thinking, eh?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ahh of course it’ll be a buddy tub of some sort eh?

Hmmm. Still, you have some time to do it dontcha?

What colour will it be when you paint it?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I think a rear bumper of some sort in chrome would make the back end look less rounded

I keep thinking about some kind of front and rear over rider

Front

Rear end is harder. Vertical overriders?

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

is it still the bmw underneath? I quite liked the first model. Keep us updated with the final version.

nealglover
    Free Member

Your car has a heartbeat and its freaking me out ! 🙂

(And get some dressing on those tyres! 😉 )

mattbee

Oddly those front 1/4 bumpers are the sort of thing I thought of on the rear but the vertical ones could well work. Depends what they look like with the exhausts I suppose.
    The front looks a lot less ‘ Spridget hill climb special’ with them on too imho.

mattbee

Northwind

Prefer the first one but the second one looks much happier.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Still a 2.8 straight six BMW

Both will be the final version. They are interchangeable.

Spriget! That is what it reminds me of from some pictures. Not when you see it though.

stuey
    Free Member

I like the 2nd one bestest.

Q: Does bolting on different fibreglass panels effect the ‘crash worthiness’ of the original Z3 ?

chrisylad24
    Free Member

Nice work spent 10 years working for a kit car company called quantum sports cars still love see people making stuff like this ,still wish I was doing it myself ironically I now work in a BMW bodyshop

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Stuey I have removed the front crash bar to fit the short nose, the original was fine with it I place. No idea if it affects anything. I plan to crash spectacularly backwards in a bal of flame.

If my next post is from the hospital then the crash protection was compromised.

If it is from MrsWCA from the crematorium then it was totally flecked bug I died happy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I like the new front, but then I own a midget 🙂

Needs a hardtop, spridgets with hardtops always look bad-ass.

Defender
    Free Member

Fact: in the 1970s at the height of their nastiness BL had a standard door, aound which they designed all their cars; Maestro, Montego, Princess, Allegro. Advanced thinking, eh?

It started before that, in the 1960’s the Autin/Morris 1800, Austin 3 Litre and Austin Maxi all shared the same passenger doors.
    I was at a talk by a person who worked in the BL design and styling department, who said that doors are a very expensive item to design and manufacture, hence the multi model use.
    Look at the Morris Marina Coupe, it had the same front door as the 4 door, estate and pick up/van versions.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Porsche designers were very happy that the Boxster/Caymen were making enough money now to get their own doors designed this time round

BTW it looks a lot less like a midget in reality. The video doesn’t give proportion properly

samunkim
    Free Member

Why stop there !!

Begging for a lightweight E-Type front end IMHO

or even blag some old Rover SDI lights for a Daytona looky likey

br
    Free Member

The rear hatch of the Granada Mk1 and Mk2 were the same, if that helps 🙂

wwaswas

This just popped up on my twitter TL

http://silodrome.com/ferrari-250-gt-cabriolet-pininfarina-series-i/

few more ideas on bumpers etc.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

XKSS perhaps?

The guy who did the glass work on my bonnets also does this

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Interchangeable car body panels’ is closed to new replies.