Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Interviews in hot weather – to jacket or not to jacket?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

I’m going to that London’s central London for an interview tomorrow (contract software developer job for a company I’ve worked at before, but I don’t know the people interviewing me – they all wear shirts and trousers, and lots of the techies wear jeans and t-shirts)

It will be stinking hot, and the tube will probably be even hotter. Should I stick with the usual form and wear a suit, or should I ditch the jacket and just go shirt/tie and trousers?

Dave

br
    Free Member

Take the jacket, but don’t wear it until you walk into the building. If it’s hot in there, ask if they mind if you take off your jacket.

surfer
    Free Member

br +1

alfabus
    Free Member

Damn… that is probably the right answer. I hate wearing suits.

midlifecrashes

Travel in shorts and t-shirt, change after your last tube ride. Tube will be mental this week.

joshvegas
    Free Member

flipflops
    shorts

Claim you like to maximise efficiency and right after the interview you intend to go and sunbathe.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

I’d carry the jacket and put it on close it the interview. If you take it off during the interview you may have a bit of a sweaty shirt, so I’d keep it on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jacket off en route to town, Boris Bike rather than Tube. Plan to arrive half an hour early, and find a nice cafe nearby with aircon to cool off in. Pop jacket back on as you saunter in to the office.

Otherwise, as above!

SiB
    Free Member

If it’s hot in there, ask if they mind if you take off your jacket.

Do people actually ask if they can take their jacket off? Its a job interview, not a school (yes, we had to ask if we could take our blazers off if too hot…power trip fpor the teachers), personally I would ditch the tie too and go in smart shirt and trousers with good shoes. Everybosy knows its warm and would be surprised to see you in a jacket.

clubber
    Free Member

As above. Plan it and find somewhere you can sit in the cool for a while beforehand.

binners

I thought we’d concluded the correct dress code is pastel jumper tied over the shoulders with contrasting polo shirt?

This high fashion lark is sooooooo confusing!

maxray
    Free Member

I’d be sweating like a nun in a cucumber patch if I had to go to an interview today in shirt n trousers :/

Best of luck!

alfabus
    Free Member

In the 2006 heatwave, I went for a job interview at a suited and booted financial place in the city. I travelled up in a t-shirt, then went to the M&S around the corner and stood in the freezer department until i’d cooled down and put my shirt and jacket on in the bogs 🙂

I didn’t get the job 🙁

Hopefully better luck this time!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I agree with SiB, shirt and trousers, no tie, no jacket.

If its for a software developer contract, 99% of it is checking you can do the job rather than making sure your image fits that of the company and so on.

brakes
    Free Member

CFH+1.

personally I would sweat at an interview even if it was in an arctic meat locker and a jacket hides your sweaty bits.

johnhe

Mmmmm. I’ve been for a meeting (not an interview) in London where the customer took umbrage because I didn’t ask if I could take my jacket off. He actually said “make yourself at home” sarcastically. It was absolutely boiling outside and we had to walk up stairs to his office.

So I’d probably say, go with the jacket. However, personally I’d rather interview someone who looked comfotable and wasn’t dripping sweat, so you might be damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

alfabus
    Free Member

Mmmmm. I’ve been for a meeting (not an interview) in London where the customer took umbrage because I didn’t ask if I could take my jacket off.

but what would he have said if you hadn’t had a jacket in the first place?

CaptJon
    Free Member

Boob tape + sanitary towels under your arms = no sweaty shirt problems

plyphon
    Free Member

White shirt, jacket & no tie.

Ask do you mind if I take my jacket off whilst actually doing it. You’re being polite to a question that doesn’t really require an answer. Would you want to hire someone who realistically asks if he can take his jacket off? 😆

White shirt hides the sweat.

cb

I’m glad its not only me that sweats like a pig! “Nun in a cucumber patch is one for the future!!”

I’ve got the same dilemma only for an important meeting rather than an interview. White shirt is a given but I’ve resigned myself to the ‘carry jacket and put on at the door’ advice. The tube is revolting at this time of year.

nickdavies

Summer suit! Lightweight jacket and trousers, and a bright tie to distract the interviewer from the damp patches around the neck 😉

Don’t try and cheat and wear a short sleeved shirt – short sleeves and tie a big no no.

As said above, keep the jacket on, hides the sweaty bits. For maximum style points wear a linen suit…

wordnumb
    Free Member

For maximum style points wear a linen suit…

… a matching panama hat and offer the interviewer pineapple slices with a knowing smile.

nickdavies

For maximum style points wear a linen suit…
    … a matching panama hat and offer the interviewer pineapple slices with a knowing smile.

:mrgreen:

ononeorange

Of course you wear a jacket – it’s an interview!

Join the club with what some of us have to put up with every day with the tube – lovely. Not. Where is your interview as in my opinion the Bakerloo is the hottest line?

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’d definitely be travelling in something cooler and getting changed in a cafe loo somewhere nearby. In fact I did this for my last interview as an apocalyptic rainstorm was going on when I left the house. You can either carry a bag/briefcase, ask the cafe if you can stash the bag with them for an hour or two or wear old gear and bin/charity box it before you go in.

alfabus
    Free Member

Breaking news:

I decided it was far too bloody hot for a jacket, so I went for trousers, shirt and tie (put on in the foyer).

It all went well, and at the end when we were all chatting, I mentioned to them that I’d toyed with wearing a jacket. They told me I’d made the right call, given the weather.

Oh, and less than an hour after I left, they rang and offered me the job 🙂

Dave

wwaswas

shirt and tie (put on in the foyer).

the arriving with just a vest on thing was brave.

Good news re: job 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

kaftan – thread closed.

thepurist

the arriving with just a vest on thing was brave

(franglais)
    He said he didnt have a veston!
    (/franglais)

hels
    Free Member

This far in and nobody has said naked yet !

I have been in this situation, the correct procedure is to carry the jacket over your arm, and lay it on the chair next to you. Otherwise you look like some loser that can’t even summon up a suit for half a day.

Northwind

Congrats!

johnhe – Member

Mmmmm. I’ve been for a meeting (not an interview) in London where the customer took umbrage because I didn’t ask if I could take my jacket off. He actually said “make yourself at home” sarcastically. It was absolutely boiling outside and we had to walk up stairs to his office.

He sounds like a **** tbh. Useful to remember that you’re interviewing them too. OTOH I don’t think we’d be too keen to hire anyone who needed permission to take their coat off! Guess it depends on your sector/working environment but a little bit of rational thought is a good thing in an employee.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

edit.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I would wear the suit but if it is bloody hot and your shirt and tie are in a good enough state then just carry your jacket folded. Don’t roll your sleeves up past the elbows though…

Also take an opened bottle of water with you and put it on the table in front of you, all confident like.

They are looking for a contract developer, so want someone exudes confidence and control, not wearing a suit jacket in the heat like a sheep.

It will be better to not be wearing your jacket and make a good handshake than to be sweltering in the jacket and have a clammy/sweaty handshake…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

He sounds like a **** tbh. Useful to remember that you’re interviewing them too. OTOH I don’t think we’d be too keen to hire anyone who needed permission to take their coat off! Guess it depends on your sector/working environment but a little bit of rational thought is a good thing in an employee.

totally agree – esp. as you want a contract – proactive and all that…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Seeing as no one else is reading it…..

Bravo on getting the job!

Whereabouts in town is it?

hels
    Free Member

Contract Developer did you say ? Don’t forget to mention that you used to be a fighter pilot, are building a time machine in your front room, make 1000s of pounds before breakfast at the push of a button with your currency trading business and have Richard Branson seriously interested in sponsoring your plan to take a pedallo around the world, solo.

Well, that was what the last Contract Developer I worked with told me. He was only rejected by the SAS because he has a perforated eardrum.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Congrats on the job, missed your update.

A contractor I worked with had been a semi-pro footballer and rallied for Skoda, which was cool.

alfabus
    Free Member

Job is on millbank. I’ve just been out for many beers to celebrate 🙂

ononeorange

Millbank – you’re working for the ****** Tories, aren’t you…?!!

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Interviews in hot weather – to jacket or not to jacket?’ is closed to new replies.