Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • interviews, feedback
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Missed a call earlier from a place i had an interview this morning.

In my limited experience interviewers only ring to say they are offering a job. Does anyone have any experience of being rung to say you haven’t got the job?

Just wondering, they did say they would ring back.

glupton1976
    Free Member

NHS apparently rings back all interview candidates – successful or not.

mrmo
    Free Member

thanks, best not to read it either way then.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

It could also be that they need to follow up some detail- trouble contacting a referee, etc. Not to put a downer on it, but just to say don’t count your chickens.

And good luck!

Junkyard
    Free Member

they tend to ring the candidate they want first and same day seems quite soon IME

like you say we are just guessing.
    Good luck

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Did you perhaps try and call them back?

mrmo
    Free Member

CFH i did, but when they rang it was c5:30 and they said they were just leaving, i didn’t get a chance to ring back till 6pm.

JY, the speed is what has thrown me, i wasn’t expecting anything till next week to be honest. I don’t think i was that bad..

igm

I’ve rung people the same day. You know when someone is spot on. It’s rare but it happens.

I’d be surprised if I was turning someone down the same day, as I’d want to get an acceptance from the one I wanted first. Unless you were really just not going to fit in their set up – which doesn’t mean you’re bad of course, just not right for them.

But they might just be checking details or asking if you had a rail ticket to reimburse.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah, good! Glad to hear it! Was a little worried…! 🙂

Good luck, chap!

Northwind

Bad news isn’t usually that fast- they’ll want to get an acceptance from someone before they tell other candidates to bugger off! (we made that mistake in my last office, sent out “sorry but” letters to 5 of 6 applicants, the 6th decided not to accept the job)

seavers
    Free Member

After a recent interview I was contacted the next day regarding travel costs…I got all excited 🙁

After a week I contacted the agency and was basically put off for a couple of days. Turned out the employer was trying to contact their first choice, I was the second. Didn’t get it but things have worked out much better!

Good luck fella…you could always give them a call back?

cynic-al
    Free Member

In my field the Feckers never call you back with bad news! Twunts!

restless
    Free Member

I had a call a few weeks ago, from the NHS , to tell me I was unsucessful 🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

Well i know it won’t be travel costs, i did tell them i walked and it was 10mins.

I also know all the interviews were today, i don’t know how many, but my interview took almost two hours, on that basis they couldn’t have been more than 3 people?

Beyond that who knows…I guess i will find out tomorrow.

The other question, if i do get offered the job do i want it? similar money, but no travelling, and the pension for the new job is probably the best i am going to get without becoming an MP.i do enjoy my current job just been getting very annoyed by IT, i had a bad day applied for a job to let off steam…..

mrmo
    Free Member

So, got hold of them, and i have been offered the job….

have asked if i can get back to them on Friday.

So do i leave a job i like (most of the time) for one i know nothing about….

10% pay rise and no commuting, (10min walk compared to 35min drive/60min ride. )

butterflies

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well done. Can I have your old one?

Peyote
    Free Member

NHS apparently rings back all interview candidates – successful or not.

Not with me they didn’t, had to call back and request feedback (I assumed correctly I was unsuccesful), was then told that feedback would not be given. Same from the Police (civilian position).

Quite odd really, thought they’d at least offer feedback.

MrGreedy

There is no NHS-wide policy, even within an individual NHS organisation it will be down to the appointing manager. In general I’d expect successful candidates to get a same day or next day call (same day for the last three I’ve been offered, and for anyone I’ve been involved with hiring). Feedback is a lot more variable – I’ve been on a panel with a manager who gave same day feedback to all unsuccessful candidates, which I thought was very admirable, but I don’t think that’s commonplace.

P.S. Good luck with whatever you decide to do mrmo!

igm

10 minute walk -v- 35 minute drive is probably equivalent to another £2k on your salary pre-tax just in fuel costs. Depending on how often you ride.

woody2000

So do i leave a job i like

If you like it, why are you leaving? 🙂

10% pay rise and no commuting

But that sounds good, if you could go car free that would be worth a good few quid on top of the 10% too

mrmo
    Free Member

10 minute walk -v- 35 minute drive is probably equivalent to another £2k on your salary pre-tax just in fuel costs. Depending on how often you ride.

I do try and ride 3-4 times a week,and i do have a small car, but the saving would be noticeable, even on things like car tyres. I would miss the ride to work in good weather, but then i would gain 2hours a day not travelling so could ride more for fun,

new job is also flexy hours so might be able to gain more riding time that way as well.

Just need to do some thinking tonight and tell my boss tomorrow( well my bosses boss, as my line manager is on their honeymoon)…

mrmo
    Free Member

If you like it, why are you leaving?

I had a very bad day and to vent applied for a new job…

My job environment is fine, the people etc, just a little politics starting to creep in and a lot of broken promises that make simple things very frustrating.

stick_man

Don’t over analyse it and trust your instincts

Change can be a good thing.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘interviews, feedback’ is closed to new replies.