Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Interview question
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Willst not looking for a job, i got the usual we found your CV agency call and now have an interview next week and i might as well try and get an offer…

So just wondering what are acceptable questions,

Seriously one of my questions is, are there showers on site? just wonder how such a question would be viewed?
    I am guessing it is ok to ask what they are looking for, what they expect me to do etc. what training, development opportunities there are.

allthegear
    Free Member

“can you give me an example of one of your company’s ‘unwritten rules’?”

Rachel

jam-bo

Tell them you like to cycle to work. Ask what facilities there are.

bearnecessities

“Can you tell me about a time an employee arrived sweaty and out of breath?”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Do you even lift, bro?

butcher

I am guessing it is ok to ask what they are looking for, what they expect me to do etc. what training, development opportunities there are.

Training is usually one of mine. It tells them that you’re interested in learning and bettering yourself. But I’ve also found it tells you a little about them and their attitude towards employees…

I can never think of any decent questions though. Usually ask about the company structure, the team I’d be working with, and how and I’d sit within that team. That kind of stuff. Depends on the job.

fadda

Is there anything I haven’t covered properly, or you’d like me to elaborate on?

jonm81

The three I go for are:

What attracted you to the organisation initially and has this view changed over time?

What long term career opportunities are available and how do you develop staff?

And a great one to finish with is:
    Are there any reservations about my suitability for this position that I could address for you?

There are other good ones but these three have served me well. If you want some more just ask.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Do you like cats or dogs

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

How can I save this page for the future? I love those three

sc-xc

I just thought that Ash!

Jon, they are great. Thanks

mrmo
    Free Member

Thanks Jon, used your last question, which I think actually helped as gave me a chance to address some concerns they actually had.

Just got a call from agency would I be interested in taking the job 🙂

jekkyl

Well done…..

& do they have showers?

v8ninety

STW win!!! 8)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Tell them you like to cycle to work. Ask what facilities there are.

+1

Do you even lift, bro?

😆 <coffee/keyboard interface>

footflaps

Do you even lift, bro?

🙂

Although really that should be on your nicely ironed interview T-shirt…

footflaps

How about:

Can you give me an example of when someone was found shagging the receptionist on the boardroom table and what action was taken?

DT78
    Free Member

No real point in asking about career aspirations and training. Would any interviewer actually say ‘no hope’ to a prospective employee?

I only use a turn around question if I really like the look of the role and I’m not quite sure how the interview went

Well done btw

mrmo
    Free Member

Can you give me an example of when someone was found shagging the receptionist on the boardroom table and what action was taken?

she was promoted to head of HR…

@jekkyl, yes… 🙂

bigblackshed

Very similar to Jon’s first question.

“What do like about working for this company?”

Or if feeling overly confident or you have nothing to lose, and this has worked for me twice:

“Tell me why I should except your offer and come work for you?”

DrP

“You don’t have those annoying UV lights in the bathrooms do you?”

That’s a good one. Shows you’re keen.

DrP

freeagent
    Free Member

As big black shed said –

“assuming I had more than one offer on the table – why should I chose to come and work here”

I’m convinced that asking this question is what got my current job.

Interviews are a two way process…

solamanda
    Free Member

I always ask, Can you please show me where my desk would be?

It shows a good level of confidence but also seeing the office environment where your exact department sits can tell you alot about office politics and your future colleagues, eg: an IT position where the department is given the least desirable office space or all staff plugged into headphones and very untidy/messy can indicate a bad environment

tomhoward

What is your policy on surfing non work related websites during work time?

nickjb
    Free Member

What is your policy on surfing non work related websites during work time?

As a follow up, do you penalise people who only read the first post and don’t check the date?

project
    Free Member

What is the companys uniform wearing policy, and is a shirt tie and trousers compulsory , as opposed to clean tidy casual wear and why in the 21 century is wearing a tie and a suit still seen as normal

unovolo
    Free Member

‘Pink or brown?’

maccruiskeen

“who do I have to **** to get a cup of coffee round here?”

Best question I’ve heard from a candidate in an interview was “when is this going to finish? I’ve got stuff I want to do today”

jonm81

Congratulations on the job offer.

Asking about career development and training is very relevant as I have been told on a number of occasions that training is only on the job with no opportunity for attending organised courses or that training courses are in own time and recovered from salary. Also career progression might only be available when someone leaves and not based on performance. It is also good to know a companies staff development strategy ie. is there a formal pdr/pda process or is it only based on line management opinion.

Another good question is: what is it that made the last person who did this role successful?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Interviews are a two way process, so you’re interviewing them as much as they’re interviewing you, so go with whatever you need to know to help you decide if it’s the right company and culture for you and has the adequate resources & infrastructure in place for you to succeed at your job. It’s also good to have some stock questions in the back pocket as well and some prime examples above. Id also add ‘how do you se the role changing & developing over time’ and ‘what’s the biggest challenge / barrier to succes in the role and how has that been tackled so far’. Also worth finding out about next steps to the process so you can make a judgement call on when to ask questions about peripherals, benefits and the like. Good luck

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats the size and makeup of the team, how many above/equal and below. Joining as the only junior or to a whole raft of equals means promotion could be a pipe dream.

What are you working hours/environment – similar to the suit one but also will you get fired for arriving 5 mins late but always be expected to work late.
    I doubt I could go back to rigid hours.

Do you encourage cycling to work? – Allows them to answer and will let you know what they think of it.

Depending on the role but important to most of mine – what is your travel policy.

If there is some sense of humour going on ask them what they like about working there.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Interview question’ is closed to new replies.