• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Alex.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Interview Help
  • Bedds
    Free Member

Afternoon Help,

I’m after a bit of help if possible..

I’m through to the final two of a job application, it’s for a Global Safety Manager role.. I need to do a presentation on the hazards of gas. The briefing is for a 10 minute presentation in terms of a high level of awareness.

I’ve asked candidates to do interviews before and could happily witter on for hours about this sort of stuff, but condensing down to 10 minutes and talking in the right way is what is causing me problems.

They’ve given me a list of gases which are used and the storage methods, but I’ve done the hazards associated with the storage mechanisms which I worry is wrong, conversely, to cover the hazards of all the identified gases would cover an age!

I’m probably too worried about getting it wrong, can anyone offer a bit of help / interpretation of what they might be after..

Cheers

shortcut

One of the things they will likely be after is a demonstration of your knowledge of best practice around the gasses being stored, perhaps some suggestions on things that could be done better combined with the risk (opportunity for things to go wrong) and impact of failure.

Is how I would look to tackle it.

Safety and gas storage have to be a pretty dull and dry subject – so one of your focuses should be keeping it interesting, relevant and holding attention.

Having said that I don’t know anything about the subject but thought I would put in my two pennyworth on the subject.

Good luck.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

When’s the interview?
    What is the exact question and presentation title?
    I wouldn’t worry about condensing all the info into the 10 mins.
    a) they’re read your cv and know what you should know.
    b) anything you don’t include is question fodder at the end of the presentation.

Presentation into three clear parts, so, for example;
    1) Introduce the levels and what high level is.
    2) Give a few examples.
    3) Explain why this is important to the role that you’re applying for.

For the practice, talk through it, talk through it, talk through it and talk throught it. Then put a couple of notes down to guide you on the day.
    As you’re tallking through it you’ll find the areas that could be explained better with an image. No more than 3-4 slides in 10 mins.
    Bob’s your aunty’s live in lover.

Without knowing the content, it’s a bit difficult to give guidance.

Bedds
    Free Member

Thanks both,

the interview is this coming Tuesday.

The presentation is on the hazards of gases.. it’s a subject which is best suited to a morning unfortunately, they want to check my ability to communicate and engage, so I guess it needs to be concise and relevant without waffle..

km79
    Free Member

For the role of Global Safety Manager, I would assume you are not going to be delivering in depth presentations of any length of time. Those sorts of presentations/training sessions will be done further down the line at local depot/regional level with those that manage and work with the gasses?

At a high level getting 10mins may well be a luxury, so you may well need to get used to this. Does the audience need to know minute details? I would be focusing on what they need to know. I.e what are their responsibilities under the legislation, what processes and procedures need to be in place, what the effect on the business would be should something go wrong, outline of previous cases of prosecutions, near misses, incidents etc.

Bedds
    Free Member

Hi KM,

I’ve been told that I should assume this is a briefing for managers who would then use it to brief out the rest of the staff..

Thing is, do you go for the different storage types, the hazards from the gases used, the hazards from the forms of gases or something else?

I’m sat reading MSDS’s (you know, because I don’t get to ride anymore 🙁 ) and going round in circles!

km79
    Free Member

In that case it sounds more like a toolbox talk albeit more formal, maybe there are some examples from google as a starter? You could cover how the gasses should be stored (e.g secure cages, labels and signage, controlled access), danger of incorrect storage (e.g. BOOM!), safe use of gases (e.g. trained and authorised users only, permit to work system, RAMS/COSHH Assessment), what to do if something goes wrong (e.g. rescue/emergency planning and arrangements).

Not a subject (gases) I come across much so limited knowledge of the ins and outs, I have used the IOSH forum before with good sucess, maybe worth a post there?

Bedds
    Free Member

Cheers KM, I’m starting to come round to thinking the same.. hadn’t thought of the IOSH forum, will take a look 🙂

Cheers

Alex

Good luck mate. You know my views. Turn up in a chicken suit and be prepared to moon mightily if things get difficult. Although some of the advice up there might be more appropriate 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Interview Help’ is closed to new replies.