Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Interview follow up – would you?
  • dannybgoode

So had an interview the other day for a job which I think went well. Final candidates have their’s today.

There are no second interviews so would you drop a friendly email to the interviewer thanking them for their time, expressing an interest in the role etc to keep you in mind over the ones in play today or would you think this a bit overbearing?

legend
    Free Member

You had your chance to say all that in the interview. Comes across as brown-nosing to me so wouldn’t do it

trailwagger
    Free Member

Yes, but you should have done it earlier.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Comes across as brown-nosing to me so wouldn’t do it

As a fairly regular interviewer, I’d agree with this.
    Personally (and I can only speak fro myself here), I keep all application forms and interview notes for 3 or 4 months so can provide feedback if you didn’t get the job but would see someone contacting me before a decision as in the same class as cold calling salesmen
    EDIT – mind you, if the job was lead generator for a double glazing company, maybe you should.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah I wouldn’t want a candidate contacting me in advance of a decision date that they’re also aware of

DrJ

This is pretty normal in the US, but could look bad here. However, as an interviewer, I’d judge it in the context of what I’d seen during the interview – did the gut seem keen but naïve, or did he seem a bit slimy?

dannybgoode

I’m in two minds – I don’t think I came across as naive or slimey!

I largely agree that it’s probably not the done thing but a bit of visibility never hurt in the position I’m going for.

mudshark
    Free Member

Different people will take it in different ways so could be a risk.

I did something sort of similar once though when wanting funding for an MSc. After meeting the decision makers I wrote to them showing how interested I was in the course including asking for background reading to help prepare for the course. I got the funding so maybe it helped.

unknown
    Free Member

It’s such a normal thing to do that I’m surprised at the comments viewing it negatively. That said, it’s very unlikely to influence the decision one way or another.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If you did it straight after the interview, in a “thanks for taking the time to see me” style then sure, but a couple of days later looks odd to me.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve done it a few times but it’s never made any difference, though once one guy did thank me for the interview and then say they were all getting made redundant and that’s why they weren’t making an offer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Interview follow up – would you?’ is closed to new replies.