Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • interview excuses
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Got an interview on Tuesday only found out about it on Friday, so no chance of booking holiday.

So what are peoples favourite excuses for missing work?

rOcKeTdOg

dehli belly

uplink
    Free Member

Don’t people usually just feign sickness or have a doctor’s or emergency dentist’s appointment?

Cougar

“I won’t be in tomorrow, I have a job interview.”

iDave
    Free Member

Just don’t turn up, then go in on Weds and be totally baffled and convinced that it’s actually Tuesday.

samuri
    Free Member

I’m bunking off work to ride my bike.

They’ll believe that.

lunge

Dentist or doctors is the favorite. “I’ve been feeling a bit ropey with my (insert body part here) over the weekend so I’m going to the docs tomorrow, I’ll be out for a couple if hours, I can make the time up later if you want”. Sorted…van you tell I work in recruitment?!?!

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Migraine

djglover
    Free Member

Family emergency
    Sick child, dead relative, etc

grahamh
    Free Member

You had to take one of the cats to the vets. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    Family emergency
    Sick child, dead relative, et

No. Please, no. Never, EVER, use a death or an ill child to fake out of a day at work! Everyone knows that everyone takes days off for interviews etc, so just follow the normal approach and feign illness as mentioned above. The death of a family member should never be lied about, in my opinion.

iDave
    Free Member

In that case, tell them someone else’s granny has died?

RealMan
    Free Member

Make up a relative and say they died. Everybody wins.

wombat

Taking off just 1 day looks dodgy. so you need to be on the sick tomorrow and thuesday just to be convincing.

This way you can get a really good ride in tomorrow, have your interview on tuesday and return to work on wednesday feeling “much better but still not 100%” 😉

Hohum
    Free Member

I must admit I am fully with CaptainFlashheart about feigning death of a relative or an ill child as an excuse, it just spooks me out in case something bad really does happen.

Phone up tomorrow and say you have sickness or diarrhoea or both, phone in again on Tuesday and be back in the office on Wednesday as wombat says.

mrmo
    Free Member

i was ill on weds/thur last week (genuine), they might think i was looking for a new job with all the sick time 🙂

Hohum
    Free Member

Maybe your bug has come back?

Depends what it was I suppose.

mrmo
    Free Member

as for the relative death, i can remember a collegue having 5 grans die over the space of 4 years, everyone knew the reality, (out on piss) and it was tolerated. He wasn’t very bright so i guess he forgot what his excuses were.

djglover
    Free Member

I must admit I am fully with CaptainFlashheart about feigning death of a relative or an ill child as an excuse, it just spooks me out in case something bad really does happen.

Well all my grandparents are dead, and only one of them has died during my service at my current employment. I’ve got no problem with having another 3 up my sleeve, so to speak, in case of emergencies. God rest their souls.

Torminalis
    Free Member

Call work and tell them you are too well to make it into the office.

samuri
    Free Member

I’ve got it. This is brilliant by the way.

Phone up with a tummy bug complaint. Go to the interview and wow them as expected, come home with an offer of 50 grand p.a., a company car and a picture of your new boss who is a bit of a stunner who likes wearing nice lingerie under a pinstriped suit and getting to grips with new recruits.

Here’s the clever bit. On your return, dope the water cooler with some bacteria from your body (trust me, you produce lots of it), and wait for everyoe else to go off with a stomach bug thus convincing your manager that it’s just something that was going around.

mrmo
    Free Member

samurai, if i get the job i have no intention of going anywhere near my current employers. being a temp does have one advantage.

samuri
    Free Member

splendid, then make up an excuse about aliens stealing your underwear and smile when you tell them. 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

“hi boss I can’t make it in to day, I’m feeling really sick”

“hmm, just how sick are you?”

“I’m in bed with my sister”

MrNutt is currently available for children’s parties, bar mitzvahs & christenings.

RustySpanner

Just tell them you have an upset stomach, which manifested itself as a very public wet explosion on the way into work.

They’ll be so busy laughing that they’ll never think to question it.

Maybe your bug has come back?

bassspine
    Free Member

if you’re a temp, why bother with an excuse? tell it like it is

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘interview excuses’ is closed to new replies.