Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Interview attire
  • tails
    Free Member

I’ve got an interview this thursday, the company is not a suited and booted kind of place. When I asked they said no need for a suit. I’m thinking shoes, trousers, shirt with no tie?

geoffj

No one ever got turned down for being too smart.
    Suit, boot and tie!

MarkyG82

Shirt, tie and shoes. No need for a jacket. As above, better to go too smart.

crankbreaker

+1 for suit, boot and tie.

You can always take the jacket off when you get there. Got past the ‘it doesn’t matter what you’re wearing it’s how you interview’ mindset a long time ago. You don’t generally get the chance to come back from walking in looking less smart than your interviewers!

fadda

As above – in (almost) any situation, it’s better to feel over-dressed, than under-…

onehundredthidiot

I shall be suited and booted for mine tomorrow even though I know that most will work in shirt / polo shirt and trousers some ties and very few suits. Mind I do know that all my opponents will be suited and booted too.

zimbo
    Free Member

So you asked, they said no suit, and almost everyone seems to be recommending a suit..??? I’d go with your original shoes/kex/shirt thought.

I long for the day when what comes out of your brain via your mouth is more important than what you’re wearing. In the (admittedly maverick) office where I work, we have a theory that ability is often inversely proportional to the cost of your clobber.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

You would look silly if you turned up and “they” all had suits on and you didn’t.

Wear a suit, no tie.

Make sure you have a pen, very important.When they ask you to fill out a form and then you ask for a pen, DOH!!!!

donsimon
    Free Member

I long for the day when what comes out of your brain via your mouth is more important than what you’re wearing.

What is the percentage split between verbal/non-verbal communication? Google is offering nothing…

Northwind

Have you got some sort of smart non-suit coat? Nice middle ground if you do.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

suit, no tie +1.

I’d normally say suit, whatever. But if they specifically said not to, you want to show you can follow instructions.

Northwind

Hang on… When you asked about the suit, was that for everyday work, or for the interview? Some folks think it was specific for the interview but that’s not the impression I get?

zimbo
    Free Member

What is the percentage split between verbal/non-verbal communication?

74/26? Rough guess with absolutely no thought whatsoever gone in to it whatsoever. Just some random numbers. What do you think?

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

trousers, shoes, shirt and a nice jumper.

zimbo
    Free Member

oneoneoneone – Member

trousers, shoes, shirt and a nice jumper

Yaaay! Everyone loves a nice jumper. I’d second a nice jumper.

craigmorris22
    Free Member

Suit and boot …where is the problem if you do?

sweepy
    Free Member

I wore a suit to my last interview, now Ive got the job i’ll turn up in shorts on a nice day, spare trousers in the car in case of a meeting.

A suit lets them know you’re taking it seriously.

sweepy
    Free Member

I think thats my first ever double post, Yay!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

A nice cream coloured linen suit, blue linen shirt and a navy/cream striped tie would be casual enough. Also, if you get there, and it all seems even more casual, you can whip the tie off and look quite raffish.

Don’t forget to spread your legs, hands behind the head and show them who’s the silverback in the room (particularly if there’s a lady on the interview panel). Also, wear a heavily musky fragrance.

hmanchester
    Free Member

Suit and no tie +1.

A shirt and tie without jacket just looks IT or office junior. Suit no tie looks smarter, sharper AND more relaxed.

Personally I would go for a plain grey or blue suit and quality white shirt.

Northwind

Oh, also… How good do you feel in a suit? Me, I’ve got one good suit, and when I put it on I feel ready to smash some interviews. In my old, crap suit, I felt like it was school photo day, and interviews were duly not smashed.

geoffj

Verbal vs Non Verbal – something like 20/80 iirc 😯

Probably explains a lot of the bollox on here!

geoffj

In the (admittedly maverick) office where I work, we have a theory that ability is often inversely proportional to the cost of your clobber.

STWers in inverted snobbery shocka!

donsimon
    Free Member

Would it be too far out of line to suggest something you’ll be comfortable in too?
    If you’re not used to wearing a suit, it could be an unnecessary distraction.

philconsequence
    Free Member

at least you’ll be remembered

ChrisA
    Free Member

Nobody I know wears a tie to work anymore, Most even only have to wear a suit for meetings these days.

I never really wear a tie, but I would for the interview. Personally I’d go in either a suit or good trousers & blazer. Tan shoes. Either of those would be fine open neck if you were overly smart and took off your tie. Hopefully you’ll be judged more on competence, but you want to look smart.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tan shoes.

Black shoes for the interview. Tan for the wedding. 🙂

onehundredthidiot

Always a tie, you can take it off if you look conspicuously over dressed. Frickin’ hate the non tie bollocks. If your here to impress/sell something have the decency to take it seriously. Not as though you’ve finished work for the day and are about to sit down for a chat and a pint.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

No one ever got turned down for being too smart.

Not true, some times a suit can be the wrong choice.

Depends on the industry and company ethos.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

I don’t know about anyone else but I need to know more about this admittedly maverick office.

@OP, charcoal suit, white shirt, red tie, black shoes.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

deadlydarcy – Member
    A nice cream coloured linen suit, blue linen shirt and a navy/cream striped tie would be casual enough. Also, if you get there, and it all seems even more casual, you can whip the tie off and look quite raffish.

Don’t forget to spread your legs, hands behind the head and show them who’s the silverback in the room (particularly if there’s a lady on the interview panel). Also, wear a heavily musky fragrance.

And then nip off for a spot of light breakfast.

hels
    Free Member

Always always always a suit for job interviews, no exceptions. That includs a tie for men. I don’t think anyone ever failed a job interview for making too much effort, although I imagine Northwind has a story up his sleeve about that…

I used to interview people regularly, and being underprepared in any way was always an immediate fail, no do-overs.

Cougar

The dress code for a place of employment is wholly unrelated to the dress code for an interview. If you were going for a job as a plasterer, would you attend the interview in overalls?

Wear a suit. If you’re really against this, ditch the jacket, but I’d advise against it. If they query your attire after you’d asked them about it then reply along the lines of “I know you said it didn’t matter but I wanted to make an effort.”

Wear a tie. Nothing screams “I don’t give a crap about you or your poxy job” louder than an open-necked shirt in an interview. The one and only exception to wearing a tie is if you’re wearing boobs instead.

hels
    Free Member

There is another exception to the tie rule, if the only tie you own sports a picture of Homer Simpson, or some other cartoon character.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i always wear a suit for interviews.

how ever – id rather go to an interview in a shirt trousers and tie than an ill fitting suit jacket.

Polish your goddam shoes !

my suit needs replaced – how ever it is the season of the wedding so i replaced it with a kilt and a tweed jacket , i wouldnt recomend that for an interview

tomhoward

The one and only exception to wearing a tie is if you’re wearing boobs instead.

Sure?

Cougar

You’d be memorable, at least.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

I think it depends on the Company and the industry.
    I work in the Fashion Industry and whenever someone turned up for interview in a suit they would not be offered the vacancy based on the fact that they would not fit in with company culture (unless it was for a job in finance / credit control 😀

Cougar

You work for idiots.

Cougar

Sure?

Wearing them, not acting like one.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Interview attire’ is closed to new replies.