• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by TimS.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Interview Advice
  • defaultslipper
    Free Member

So after 3 months of applying for jobs and regular jobcentre trips i have an interview tomorrow. this will be my first since finsihing university, and my first proper interview ever. i dont consider part time retail interviews back when i was 16 to be of much use in this interview.

they have told me that it will only be a discussion and i am not expected to present anything or have any on-site testing at the interview. Could those in-the-know or recent leavers of the Joblesstrackworld cult give some pointers as to what may be asked, or likely questions? I have researched the company, some of the relevant clients, other business areas, history, a few case studies and am currently memorising the CV i sent to them. It is an entry level graduate environmental role if that changes likely questions?
    They are keen to promote cycling to work, so am also going to mention my willingness to commute on the bike instead of using the car.

So what have i missed? What kind of killer questions have you had in your interviews?

All help greatly appreciated as always

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It sounds very informal at this point, but keep things relevant. For example, don't go off chatting about mountain biking for 30 minutes if it turns out the interviewer rides. Make them remember you for the skills you have which are relevant to the position.

Good luck.

sweepy
    Free Member

wear a suit, shows youre taking it seriously
    (this from someone who once turned up for a interview on rollerskates)

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Take a copy of your cv with you & job spec if you have one. Try to use examples of how you have done things rather than just say you can/cant or did keep somebody happy.

Try to interact with everybody in the interview not just the one asking the questions if there is more than one person interviewing.

By nice to everybody they may ask the receptionist or cleaner how you were when you entered the building.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Ask how the interviewers came to work for the company.

Be likeable, but proffesional, find something to draw on that's relavant to make a comment on in an affable way to break the ice or close the interview. e.g compliment them on their tie or make a joke about your method of transport to arive e.g edge of the seat taxi driver or surprisingly punctual bus

Indicate a keen willingness to learn and develop.

Don't lie to get the job, you'll only get found out – trust me I lied/yes'd my way through loads of interviews and got the nickname Jonesysix jobs as a result of the number of jobs I went through in six months. If you don't have the skills and they won't offer training then you can't do the job.

plumber
    Free Member

I have found that doing as many interviews as possible, even if you don't want the job, is the way to get confident doing interviews.

Given todays job climate that is difficult to achieve however good advice for the future.

Good luck!!

br
    Free Member

Be early, wash, brush your hair, polish your shoes and wear a tie (even if you are the only one doing so), and not a stupid tie.

Don't even bother with the cycling rather than car statement, only say if asked.

Don't ask about salary etc, and if they raise it – say that as its a grad. level job I'm sure you have a fixed rate and that really you are more interested about working in this field etc.

Oh, and be early.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I have researched the company, some of the relevant clients, other business areas, history, a few case studies and am currently memorising the CV i sent to them. It is an entry level graduate environmental role if that changes likely questions?
    They are keen to promote cycling to work, so am also going to mention my willingness to commute on the bike

all very good.
    also the above advice, pretty much treat it like an interview, be smart, interested and act like you actually want the job (you'd be surprised how many people i interview who just don't seem to give a toss)

and remember, we're all rooting for you

midlifecrashes

Clean up your online profiles, if you have any. I google everyone who gets as far as shortlisting these days, I know it's not meant to be part of the selection process, but I look at facebook etc and it can be revealing, but rarely in a good way.

defaultslipper
    Free Member

Don't ask about salary etc, and if they raise it – say that as its a grad. level job I'm sure you have a fixed rate and that really you are more interested about working in this field

the job advert has a salary range, but reading the other thread a few days ago it seems like a hit/miss question going in with the money question. Think i will be asking them about possible training opportunities as a full package rather than just money. Does that sound like a reasonable question?

pretty much treat it like an interview

it is an interview, and my only opportunity for a job at the moment so have been working hard on preparing for it.

and remember, we're all rooting for you

is that becuase i am a burden on the taxpayers? 😉
    cheers for all the good advice. i am very surprised noone has given a cheeky response yet, must be some kind of stw record?!

sofatester
    Free Member

is that becuase i am a burden on the taxpayers?

Yes. Get a ####### job you workshy loser! 😉

TimS
    Free Member

The kind of questions that I always seem to be asked are "Can you give me an example of a situation where you solved a complex problem/worked in a team/delivered bad news/etc".
    If you don't have an answer, it's probably OK to pass on one, but if you've got any extra-curricular experience (things like running a sports club, organising group rides/holidays, etc), this is the perfect time to share it. Also, if it's a technical job, make sure that you're refreshed with the stuff that might be relevant. I've had a few interviews for tech positions that have seemed like my finals all over again 🙂

Good Luck!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Interview Advice’ is closed to new replies.