Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Intersting routes from Oldham Town Centre? Any recommendations?
  • hillsplease

Afternoon All

Now facing a pedal to Oldham Town Centre from S Manchester – any inteesting routes to/from for the commute?

Also anyone on here night ride from Oldham please, and if so can I come?

Many thanks

Paul

crikey
    Free Member

Fallowfield loop to ashton then long draggy climb to oldham.
    various cut throughs using canal at daisy nook, woodhouses, Clayton vale. The problem is that oldham is always uphill from everywhere.
    Get the tram!

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d have thought that the most direct/quickest route away from Oldham would be the best.

terrahawk
    Free Member

how far/how much time/off or on road?

davetrave
    Free Member

For a lunchtime blast, head directly north out of the town centre, sticking with the high ground – areas to play up there. Otherwise, as above for the commute – via Ashton and Daisy Nook, be prepared to work hard and pedal fast if you go anywhere near Fitton Hill or Glodwick…

Night rides, well depends what your plans are but my mates in Saddleworth Clarion ride out around Lydgate, Mssley, Uppermill, etc, etc, regularly Saddleworth Clarion. Or ask in Surosa Cycles, opposite the fire station on Lees Road, only a few minutes ride out from the centre.

But why the hell Oldham?! I did everything I could to escape the place, having lived there for the first 20 or so years of my life…!

EDIT: beaten tot he punchline by DaveyBoyWonder…

crikey
    Free Member

Or ask in Surosa Cycles, opposite the fire station on Lees Road, only a few minutes ride out from the centre.

Nope, it’s moved to be under ‘big’ Tesco now, on Huddersfield Road.

davetrave
    Free Member

Blimey, moved again… Proves how much I try to avoid revisiting the town of my origin…

mcnultycop

There’s nice little bits all over the place round Oldham, but only decent all off road loops round Saddleworth.

I’ve just bought some lights to do some night rides, but I’ve also bought a road bike for the same reason!

hillsplease

thanks fellas – to be fair it wasn’t too bad on the road, just a shame my old office is now the halfway point. It is not a town of the beautiful people ……

mcnultycop

I’d definitely drop in Clayton Vale on the way and do a lap. I’ve only heard good things. I may ride down there this weekend to check it out.

hillsplease

Clayton Vale is ace, but not on a road bike with panniers. I know, the shame.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Intersting routes from Oldham Town Centre? Any recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.