Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Interstellar (the film not the trail) any good ?
  • hels
    Free Member

Anybody seen it yet ? Is it any good ?

It has spaceships and Matthew McConnaughey, which are a few of my favorite things, has to be good, right ?

At 2hrs 49 mins running time however some further research is required.

(and by “good” I mean Aliens, Moon, Battlestar Galactica, not Star Wars, The Matrix or (shudder) Source Code)

rone

Worth a trip to see. More Shyamalan than Kubrick and lots of dialogue that ought to be clearer. But a thrilling final act makes it all worth while.

Much, much better than Gravity if your keen for a comparison.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Its ok. I was a bit disappointed- 6.5/10.

Agree with rone- I struggled to pick up dialogue in the clashing soundtrack.

But Gravity was better, IMHO.

stewartc
    Free Member

Just seen it this morning, it’s loud and has been noted above it can be difficult to keep track of the dialog.
    Reckon it’s a 6/10, worth seeing it in the cinema just for the visuals which are low key, but very affective, I did enjoy Gravity more.
    Some good acting in places, especially young Murph, and the robots are a nice touch, set honesty to 90%.

Read up on your Quantum physics before going to see it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

“Set humour to 90%.”

“Self-destruct in 10…9….8…”

🙂

codybrennan
    Free Member
    hels
    Free Member

Thanks guys -so the consensus is go and see it, but take a book about quantum physics for the boring bits. Looks like if I can get to the Cameo by 16.30 can catch that and Nightcrawlers in a double bill, result.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I only went to see it because I thought in was about Peaty’s fondness of Belgian lager (I’ll get my coat).
    Not as disappointing as Prometheus but it’s telling that the most emotionally involving character is a robot (TARS is ace)….but was’nt that the same in 2001 with HAL?
    It is LOUD!!
    Make sure you don’t need a wee before it starts.
    I will go to see it again tomorrow (I nearly always do this with films I like).

plus-one

You don’t like the Matrix !!!!! 🙁

hels
    Free Member

All subjective and IMHO – I thought The Matrix was pretentious, derivative and stoopid. Stylish I grant you, and some well choreographed fight scenes, but ultimately boring and with a dumb dumb plot with holes you could fly the Enterprise through. And even the presence of Hugo Weaving couldn’t cancel out the whole Keanu Reeves thing. I mean, Keanu Reeves people, get a hold of yourselves !

bullandbladder
    Free Member

You don’t like Star Wars? Is that even allowed?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I always make sure I see films like this on iMax, that is how they are intended to be watched. Gravity was great on iMax, but is crap on a smaller screen, you just don’t get the sheer expanse and scale of it, which at the end of the day is basically all it’s about, so all it is reduced to is a boring film about a woman floating about in space. I’m off to see Interstellar next week on iMax, I’ve not looked forward to a film as much for a while, though i’m sure it won’t live unto my expectations.

coogan
    Free Member

Saw Interstellar tonight. I loved it personally. And yes, at times, it’s very loud.

legend
    Free Member

Not sure I would say Gravity was great in the IMAX. Spectacular yes, but not a movie I’d be bothered about seeing again.

On the other hand,the Mrs and myself loved Interstellar- LOUD is good 🙂 can’t beat a movie that seems to shake your chair (no it’s wasnt d-box). Probably about as emotionally involving as space movies get imo, and of course it looked amazing on the big, big screen

zigzag69
    Free Member

Saw it last night, non-IMAX. Visually fantastic, but bar a couple of great set-pieces, hugely disappointing. Way too many plot holes. For all it kept banging on about physics, the film ignored it if it got in the way of the story. The emotional scenes were dire. Easily his worst film.

Wife loved it.

Robots were good though.

monkeyboyjc

I absolutely loved it…..
    The best representation of modern space si-fi on film for a long time.

Not comparable to Gravity – which was just a unrealistic roller coaster ride (with a shark sat in the seat next to you), set in space. She should have die 20 mins in, film done. Gravity is a good fun film, the fact it was set in space makes it in the same genre as interstellar, but that’s it.

If your looking for an Aliens or matrix style film you’ll hate it. This is much much more like some of the good early 70’s space films, it has dialogue etc. But it also has intelligence.

Ok, there are some scenes in interstellar which are only there for dramatic effect (water world). But over all a really really good sifi film…..

codybrennan
    Free Member

I love Nolan; I love sci-fi, and will defend it to non-believers, but I’ll not be upset if I never have to sit through Interstellar again, I’m afraid.

As ZZ69 says, a disappointment.

chris85
    Free Member

I found gravity extremely boring!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m going to see it on Thursday. I’m not expecting anything to eclipse the genius of Dark Star.

jota180
    Free Member

It’s a bit on the long side, could have done with editing it down a bit IMO

eshershore
    Free Member

Just got back from watching it.what a disappointing and overblown mess.

I’ve enjoyed many of his films, but Interstellar was not one of them.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Shame, that looked interesting.

rlanquetin
    Free Member

I thought it was awesome!
    One of the best movie in years (since Inception to be more precise!).

legend
    Free Member

Shame, that looked interesting.

Go along and make up your own mind? Still got a 9.1 on IMDB so it must be doing something right

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I loved it too. Though some of the bits with “Mann” seemed a bit unnecessary. But, it did a good job of making a movie about some of the most interesting parts of space travel.

Northwind

hels – Member

I mean, Keanu Reeves people, get a hold of yourselves !

Good casting that- “We need someone who looks constantly confused”. Kind of like Matt Damon in the Bourne films- “Right Matt, in this next scene we need you to do some cool action stuff, while looking like you’ve had a railroad spike driven through your brain”

hels
    Free Member

Aye good point Northwind, I wonder if they had to hire a “dribble flunky” to wipe his mouth for him when the cameras stopped rolling.

stevious

Thought about going to see it then noticed that it’s almost 3 hours long.

3 hours. For a film.

legend
    Free Member

and yet people complain that they don’t get value for money at the cinema…..

CountZero

stevious – Member
    Thought about going to see it then noticed that it’s almost 3 hours long.

3 hours. For a film.
    And how much for a ticket? If it was a gig you’d get an hour thirty, two hours tops.
    Christ, some people… 🙄

seosamh77
    Free Member

Was alright. Decent enough watch. But the story line is utterly ridiculous. I’ll be generous 7/10, could’ve been better story wise IMO.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Looking forward to this one, I’ve liked all of Nolan’s films that I’ve seen.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

im a fan of Nolan too, and McConaughey, and Hathaway! but i cant decide if i really fancy this or not. loved Gravity but this looks a bit too sci-fi-y? also i get the impression this is gonna be a jizzed up Armageddon? ill probably go see it tonight…

Nightcrawler btw OP, is superb.

legend
    Free Member

Interstellar is the movie Gravity should’ve been imo.

Cougar

Ok, here’s a question.

I saw Gravity on the (really) big screen, and it made the movie. I thought it was awesome, but I’m in no rush to see it again on a TV screen. Ie, it was akin to riding a rollercoaster compared to watching a video of one.

How does Interstellar stack up to this? Do I need to see it at the cinema, or will the “home cinema experience” suffice?

seosamh77
    Free Member

home cinema will suffice, gravity visually was much much better imo.

hels
    Free Member

Oh, Nightcrawler is a given. I would watch Jake Gylenhaal peel spuds for 3 hours, a good film is just a bonus (hence wasting 1.30 of my life on Source Code – should have taken a book)

legend
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator

Ok, here’s a question.

I saw Gravity on the (really) big screen, and it made the movie. I thought it was awesome, but I’m in no rush to see it again on a TV screen. Ie, it was akin to riding a rollercoaster compared to watching a video of one.

How does Interstellar stack up to this? Do I need to see it at the cinema, or will the “home cinema experience” suffice

No 3d option (which is nice) for Interstellar so you don’t miss out there, but your sound system had better be strong enough to wake the dead. Still one to head to the IMAX for though

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i really liked Source Code!!

Cougar

your sound system had better be strong enough to wake the dead.

My sound system exceeds that which is wholly appropriate in a mid-terrace, no issues there.

Groovy, ta.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Interstellar (the film not the trail) any good ?’ is closed to new replies.