Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Interpretation of "I'm not saying…, but…"
  • crazybrab
    Free Member

Folks,

How exactly would you interpret this?

A friend works for a large company XYZ and following restructure within the division, his boss on more than one occasion has said:

“I’m not saying you should be fortunate to have a job, but look at others around you (some of whom have been made redundant).

Said friend is taking this somewhat personally and interprets this the same as “you should be lucky to still have a job”.

Correct or incorrect? Your thoughts?

Thanks

DickBarton

Yup, that is what it means…

nickjb
    Free Member

I’m not say means I am saying

scaredypants

Vague, innit, depends on context

May just be the boss showing off – “see how I protect my team”
    Or a threat
    Or genuine advice, badly delivered “I can’t protect you forever”

Or prelude to one of “how about dinner some time” or “how about a load of unpaid overtime?”

allan23
    Free Member

Look for another job, boss is a cock and will no doubt stitch him up at the next round of changes.

senorj

They say it all the time where I work , the tossers.
    Which contradicts themselves on their own ethics and integrity e-training pish.
    gggrrr.

crazybrab
    Free Member

Thanks gents, yes, the my take on this is unacceptable behaviour from manager at odds with company XYZ policy/culture and will advise friend accordingly.

holst
    Free Member

When people say things like that, I take it literally and behave accordingly. What it means is that you have your job through talent and hard work, not luck. This means you can do as you please without any risk of being sacked. Just to prove that I was hired due to my talent, I generally change jobs as soon to demonstrate that I am in demand.

Another interpretation is that you’re actually unlucky to work there because the job sucks. In this case you are probably best to change jobs.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I call that a ‘prevex’.

The silly bit that comes before the vexation. ‘I’m not trying to upset you, but…

In yr friend’s case it appears that the vexation derives more from the ambiguity within the statement. Sometimes a prevex is simply a gutless threat and/or insult, yet at other times an ambiguous, poorly-worded compliment. A worse-than-useless use of language, IMO.

5plusn8
    Free Member

It is a bit like “I’m not racist but..”.
    All these things come under the banner of weasel words, said by people without the courage of their convictions.
    It is a marker of someone to avoid or if you cannot, then be very careful around them because they are incapable of being honest and will hang you on your honesty.

nach
    Free Member

It means “I realise what I’m saying is bad, but by rephrasing it slightly and prefixing it with ‘I’m not saying’, I can feel a bit better about myself”.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Positive interpretation = its a kick up the arse to up your game
    Negative interpretation = you are next

Was always told on management courses when trying to encourage / review team members not to use the word “but” as people only hear what’s after that word

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I think it means that his boss has a crush on him and has been protecting him in order to illicit sexual favours at a later date.

Cougar

It is a bit like “I’m not racist but..”.
    All these things come under the banner of weasel words, said by people without the courage of their convictions.

That was my thought also. Generally means the opposite of what it says.

I had one at work the other day, “I know you’re on your lunch, but…” – the only words that can sincerely follow that are “I don’t care,” aren’t they.

cnud
    Free Member

“Everything before the BUT is bulsh1t” I was once told. I find it applies nearly every time

P-Jay
    Free Member

Yes, that’s Arseholian for “be subservient or face the consequences”.

Personally I’d pay no attention to it other than to remind myself the boss is an arsehole.

slowoldman

I’m not saying it’s a veiled threat, but…

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

When does your boss say this? At random points throughout the day or when you’re asking him for a day off , etc..?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Interpretation of "I'm not saying…, but…"’ is closed to new replies.