Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Interns vs Apprentices
  • rogerthecat
    Free Member

Bit of a reorganisation about to happen in my business due to the resignation of one staff member yesterday.

The rest of the team are up for a bit of a reshuffle of workload and roles to increase efficiency and client focus which leaves a couple of opportunities.

I’d love to give someone a chance to get into a great industry and am caught betwixt an 18yr old apprentice position or an intern for a fresh graduate or one of each.

EDIT: based in Hope in the heart of the Peak District and they may get to drive the company Syncro as part of the job (insurance permitting!!)

Anyone here had experiences, good or bad? Cheers, Paul

aP
    Free Member

I thought that interns work for free.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve had a couple of apprentices for nearly 18 months now. Nothing but good things to say. Both joined us as callow, shy youths, both are now confident, outgoing and positive employees who are going on to better things. One is off to university (didn’t have the quals but has pestered the course leader sufficiently to get a place based on his experience with us), the other has landed a great job in London and is moving up there in a few weeks time. They’ve done good work for us and have been a good team fit.

I’d say if you want apprentices then use a training or recruitment organiser (a lot of FE colleges have this kind of service) and be prepared to put some effort into them. Also make sure you interview them properly and have someone in the interview who is a good judge of character as the personality is the most important element you are looking for. The ones I recruited have been great, the ones my boss got in were shit and couldn’t be arsed. Get it right and it’s great. Having young people about the place is great for morale generally and brightens everyone up. It also helps to dispel the myth that all young uns are feckless and work shy.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@aP – some companies use interns as free labour but IMO that is just plain wrong. Whichever we go for they will get a basic wage with the opportunity to move into a permanent position at the end of their time, or support to move on to a new job.

@Yossarian – good points, thanks.

wiggles
    Free Member

I’ll save you the hassle and you can just hire me, I’d be great at it (what is it?)

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

I thought that interns work for free.

Where I work, student placement interns get over £17,000 a year!

juanking

In our place the interns get 34k pro rata!

woody21
    Free Member

If it comes down to finance the minimum wage you have to pay an apprentice is £2.68 per hour, personally I would suggest you pay a more realistic figure per hour. I work for a College, what sort of skills are you looking for?

Bregante

Speaking of apprenticeships! My lad who was recently discharged from the army foundation college with an injury has had an awful few months which are hopefully behind now thanks to the apprenticeship scheme. He starts monday in quite a high profile business and there’s going to be a press launch with “celebrities” there and stuff. Absolutely made up for him and well impressed with the help he’s had from the college so far.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

@Woody21 – We’re a pr and social media agency working in the events industry – excellent English and writing skills are a must, the rest we can teach, eye for detail important. Where are you based?

woody21
    Free Member

I live near Bakewell, but work in Derby. I know we offer a Digital and Social Media apprenticeship

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Derby’s a bit of a hike to Hope unless someone has family nearby.
    If you’ve got someone on that apprenticeship I’d certainly be interested.

woody21
    Free Member

They might not necessarily need to come to College. What we (and other training providers / colleges) would do is get a person spec from the employer and put this the National Apprenticeship Service website – basically young people register and people advertise opportunities – the employer can have as much input as they want or they can rely on the college or training provider short list individuals

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ah, that sounds even more interesting.
    Would like to hear more, can you send some info if you have it to paul at vividink dot info?

woody21
    Free Member

No problems – I’ll find some links that will explain the what and whys of employing an apprentice

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Hi Woody – nothing landed yet.
    Have received info from Sheffield College and some independent organisation that resembles a training provider both offering subsidy and recruitment, would be good to see what you have to offer too.

misinformer
    Free Member

The Bloke in the Cotic video seemed to think the future lies in apprentices he as much said it ,I think the problem is finding interested individuals.

Del

Rubbish. You’ll get a ton of kids biting your hand off for an opportunity to earn and learn.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nail on head Del.

Our apprentices (aero engine overhaul) have to go to a local tech off their own backs for a year, then the best ones are put forward for selection between us and a good few other businesses. They then have to come in, do a presentation, a group problem solving session and finally an interview. All at approx 17-18 years old.

That’s not even taking into account the unfortunate kids that don’t even get on the tech college course on the first place. You get the odd lazy one, but the vast majority of the apprentices I have worked with are super keen.

chiefgrooveguru

We’re off to an apprentice fair today to see what talent is out there. We had five booked in for interview yesterday but only two turned up – fortunately those two were good! Apparently it’s national apprenticeship week so there’s a lot of stuff going on…

mt
    Free Member

apprentices are the way forward. 50 people in our place and almost all the staff in responsible roles from the MD down started out as shopfloor apprentices. Most of them at the company. For a good few years the standard of applicants had been low, possibly because those that should have been looking at engineering apprenticeships were being encouraged to go to college full time. It also did not help when the general view was that manufacturing in the UK was dead. However since about 2008/9 the standard has steadily risen. It’s a matter of great pride to see them coming through the company.

I’d say it’s the moral duty for us old gimmers to give them youngsters a real chance.

binners

Apprenticeships are the way forward. From experience I’d advise popping down to your local college and have a word with the appropriate course tutor. You’ll doubtless find them very receptive to building a partnership with a local business, as its obviously mutually beneficial

I was at a company that did this. The college would send through their brightest ,most promising students – which doesn’t half save you a job in itself. You know you’re seeing people who are keen to learn and enthusiastic. If things work out well (as it did for us) then you end up with a long term relationship that works very well for everyone – a proper partnership – providing you, ultimately, with high calibre young staff. The college get to tell everyone how successful their former pupils are. So its a win/win

Following on from yesterdays pensioners thread – someones got to keep us lot in weathers originals 😉

misinformer
    Free Member

Rubbish. You’ll get a ton of kids biting your hand off for an opportunity to earn and learn.

Where? its difficult to find them

shuhockey
    Free Member

edited

fasthaggis

Spot on Binners ,our apprentices are fantastic .
    It’s been great to see their careers develop.
    Any time we advertise a place ,we get loads of applications.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Quick update.

We’ve contacted a couple of local providers re apprentices and there is a framework that is perfect, job description complete and submitted. Would be perfect for any youngster keen on live events, social media and mountain biking – that’s the industry, the role and where we are based, Hope. This we would expect to become a full time job at the end of the apprenticeship. I’d like to think that’s an attractive set of criteria for a bright candidate.

We’ve also created the framework for a one year, paid internship for a fresh graduate. It’s just for one year, in at the deep end, lots to do and a thorough grounding in the industry in which we work and our own industry. It’s a fixed one year term so that the intern knows that it is finite, there may be a possibility of a job if the business grows to accommodate one but no guarantees

Any thoughts from those who have been down this road, does this sound like it would be attractive? Any advice on what we can expect? Ta.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Interns vs Apprentices’ is closed to new replies.