Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Internet/wireless question
  • smartay

Help.
    Bought my daughter lap top for xmas, problem is I cant remember, find record of wireless/broadband password.
    Can someone help me locate on the computer ,internet tools etc, ans some step by step instructions?.

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Many routers have the password / code printed on the base. If all else fails and you don't have the admin password or network password you may have to reset the router.

Find the manual online and download before starting. You may find your answers in the manual!! If that doesn't work, follow the instructions to reset back to factory settings. You will then have to reconfigure the network, including setting new passwords.

Also before doing it, check with your service providers support page and make a note of all the settings you need for logging on. Most routers require initial setup using a cable, so make sure one is to hand before resetting anything!

Good luck. If it's any consolation, I've just spent the best part of the day sorting out networking problems on my parents machines. Boxing Day fun. Not.

handyman153
    Free Member

Right, not sure if this will work for every router but worth a try.

I have got a Belkin Router, and when i forgot the password a few weeks ago i had to go into the router settings.
    To get to those open 'tinternet' and type in 192.168.2.1 into the address bar. And press enter. This should open the settings.
    All routers are different but with mine, down the side it said 'security' in there you can set either a WPK or WEP password, and a little button in the bottom corner said show password. This should show you what the password is.

As i said might not work for everyone, but it worked for me first time, so worth a try.

Hope that helps
    Josh..

gonefishin
    Free Member

To be honest I'd just connect up the computer to the router with a cable and then enter the admin part of the router steup (you do have the admin password don't you?) then copy the password onto the new computer that way.

It'd be a lot simpler if you had a mac as you could just have look in the keychain access app, but I don't think there is a windows equivalent.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Internet/wireless question’ is closed to new replies.