Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Internet TV – who do you manage your viewing across Netflix/iPlayer/Prime etc
  • m360
    Free Member

I’m quite hooked on internet TV, so much so I don’t watch live TV or have a license/ariel anymore. I use the “Smart” TV/Apple TV.

But…

How do you manage all of your viewing? I mean, is there one place you can do it all, like Radio Times, but for internet telly? And what happened to channel surfing?

For example:

I want a film, I have to search Netflix, nope, not there, how about Amazon, nope, not there, must be on iTunes, yup, is there to rent, but wait, I now find out it was on Channel 4 last week and still available on 4OD. This takes a lot of button pressing and two devices (Apple TV and Smart TV).

Or, I enjoyed Walking Dead, but don’t want to miss the start of the next season, and the Apprentice is good, but if I hadn’t read the thread on here I’d have missed that for several weeks (or more). I watch Formula 1 or the Apprentice, but would quite like a reminder when it’s on (for example).

And worst of all, when I don’t know what I want to watch and just want to browse. I miss flicking through the channels I guess…but now I have to look at Netflix, look at Prime, check iPlayer, maybe missed something on 4OD. But I don’t know what I want to watch, maybe I just want to play dodge the adverts (watch something until and advert then change channel).

Is there a better way?

wanmankylung
    Free Member

Yes – watch less tv.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t have any particular way of managing streaming content. I’m rarely looking for say a specific movie but browsing what’s available on services like Curzon Home Cinema, iTunes or iPlayer. What your describing as a central way of searching content across different providers is exactly what Apple previewed for the new Apple TV. My guess is it will take a while to rollout with the providers and in any case apps for uk services like BBC don’t seem to be planned

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Tvaddons.ag. youl. Never use anything ever again and its free….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Simples, find series on Netflix, watch until all is finished, move on to next one.

m360
    Free Member

Yes – watch less tv.

I’m watching more since I unplugged and got broadband 😕

What your describing as a central way of searching content across different providers is exactly what Apple previewed for the new Apple TV.

Sounds perfect IF they get all of the services on board.

Tvaddons.ag. youl. Never use anything ever again and its free….

Looks ok, I’m not really keen on streaming from my mac or phone though, much prefer standalone devices. I know the new Apple TV will take downloadable apps, so maybe it’ll work on there in the future.

find series on Netflix, watch until all is finished, move on to next one.

That’s pretty much what I do now 8)

I wonder if there is a market for a TV guide APP then. One where you select your services and it can see your watch lists and favourites. Those that are weekly (such as iPlayer) go on a planner, those that crossover different platforms are shown to do so, and it has a movie search bar that searches across all of your preferred services.

IF that is what Apple are going to do, then great. I reckon it won’t happen for every service/channel out there though. So maybe an independent version is needed. It could be used on a PC/Phone?Table so you can lan your viewing on the train home, or the sofa. Like getting a pen out and circling your favourites in Radio Times magazine. Old meets new?

App developers, you can have that one for free 😛

binners

How do you manage all of your viewing?

Manage it? Why would you manage it? What are you going to do? A spreadsheet for your weeks planned viewing?

The joy of all this telly is that its completely random. Just flick through it. See whats on…

Hence being sat up at one in the morning watching Storage Wars in your pants, scratching your arse and farting. Its the simple pleasures in life….

😀

hels
    Free Member

Manage your TV viewing ?? I really think you need to give yourself a shake and go out for a walk in the fresh air. Speak to some people. Or get a dog or something.

Milkie
    Free Member

Haha you can definitely tell there are some old cronies here with some of the comments. 🙄

Try http://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Thanks for reminding me to cancel Netflix, been forgetting for ages!

m360
    Free Member

Thanks Milkie, that looks similar to what I had in mind.

Manage your TV viewing ?? I really think you need to give yourself a shake and go out for a walk in the fresh air. Speak to some people. Or get a dog or something.

Gave myself a shake last night, cycle everyday, go for plenty of walks, speak to far too many people throughout the day at work, landlord won’t let me have a dog.

Also, I enjoy watching TV as part of a balanced lifestyle.

Hence being sat up at one in the morning watching Storage Wars in your pants, scratching your arse and farting. Its the simple pleasures in life….

Ah, good old Dave! Must see if I can get that on demand 😆

Cougar

That pog thing looks good; can you filter by country (ie, only show UK channels)?

The issue I always had was remembering which episode I was up to in a given show. I’ve got an app now called Series Guide, just add the shows you’re watching and tick ’em off as you go. It syncs with https://trakt.tv/ too, handy for multiple devices.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Honestly tv addons has taken over my virgin netflix and now tv…. People are charging 60 quid for a fire tv stick with it on and 80 for a now tv box and 150 for the year to run it via a “plex” service with servers but with that you have yo request what content you want… Madness ive got it on a rasberry pi and use my phone as a kodi remote. Pure simplicity. And im working on a linux version to run direct on my smart tv as the linux version uses hardly any ram etc.

spooky_b329

On the BT Youview box I hit the search button and it will search the freeview channels, iPlayer, 4OD et al, Netflix, BT Films and if I subscribed, I suspect Sky Movies.

Must cancel Netflix though, I find the menu/browsing method infuriating especially with films duplicated in different categories, and not been able to work out what is a film and what is a documentary.

juanking

I’m with Phil, got a PI and run everything off that and also have a remote (yatse) app on my phone and tablet. In fact I’ve also got kodi on my android tablet which you can also download programmes onto. Just for clarity kodi is the OS and tvaddons is the programming.

With this it confuses me as to why anyone would go any other route, it has totally revolutionised the way I/we watch TV!

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

juanking … seen the light eh buddy. be careful because we dont have to pay like everyone else the piracy police come out in force.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Internet TV – who do you manage your viewing across Netflix/iPlayer/Prime etc’ is closed to new replies.