Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • internet speed dropped quite a lot??
  • renton
    Free Member

I have been doing some speed tests over the last week or so since I signed up with talk talk and was averaging 9 meg.

I’ve just done a test now and I’m getting 1.3 meg????

Why would it drop so much??

Cheers

Steve

andyfla
    Free Member

Ones did this with talk talk over a 2 year period, dropped from 9 to less than 2, never did get to the bottom of it , switched to cable in the end 60mb for the same price …

Sorry not very helpful ….

wwaswas

it’ll be all the double posts on ‘bike jump gone wrong’ ‘coffee shop prank’ etc on every forum everywhere slowing the whole internet down.

allthegear
    Free Member

Mine seems to have gone down quite a lot over the last few weeks. Coincidentally, BT are about to introduce Infinity into the street soon…

Rachel

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Fault on the line? Happened to me a few months back. BT insisted there was nothing wrong while BE said there was. Eventually BT sent someone out and boom, back to normal straight away.

stumpyjon

Yep my talk talk connection seems to be slower, BT inifinity also due to roll out in the next month. Never got anywhere near 9meg though, 2.5 on a good day.

dannybgoode

Couple of other possibilities:

Do you download much – have you hit the limit of your provider’s fair usage policy?

Also, could be to do with contention ratios. Say you are the only one on your exchange with XYZ provider you have the whole pipe to yourself. If another 99 people sign up with the same provider you are suddenly 100 people are sharing that same pipe and slowdowns occur when many people are on at the same time.

Cheers

Danny B

trail_rat
    Free Member

Interestingly last week i told bt to stop being berks – my 12 month contract lapsed so they decided to stick my package right up to their top level most expensive 45 quid a month package.

Told them that was out of order and got them to put my back on the 25 quid a month package i was on,.,,

Scumbags seem to have dropped my speed to 0.5mbps – from the 5 mbps i was getting grr

heavyman
    Free Member

A colleague had same thing with talk talk, check first thing in the morning or before 5pm and it’ll be lightning fast. Apparently what they do is share the 16Mb line from your nearest exchange between the number of users the majority come on after 5pm when they get home from work.

He complained repeatedly to talk talk and they kept saying we’ll fix it 3 months later (I wouldn’t have lasted that long) he told them to sling their hook, he went with PlusNet and he says he gets perm 8Mb now. They even sent an engineer and said he must be in the house in the morning so he tool they day off work and stayed in, Eng tested the line and he got 8Mb continually and said there was nowt wrong with it, that night (and almost every other) he said he was lucky to get 1mb, sometimes down to 0.3mb.

Karinofnine

Oh! I thought it was just me. Since T Mobile and Orange became EE my mobile internet on my laptop and internet on my phone are MUCH slower.

renton
    Free Member

I’ve only been with them since the 25 th of last month and up until today it’s been steady at 8.5 to 9.5 meg. I’ve phoned them and they are investigating.

It’s weird.. I do a speed test on my phone via WiFi and it spikes at around what I get normally but then drops really quick!

On the computer via WiFi and on talk talk website they are saying I’m getting 10 meg via their speed test?

samuri
    Free Member

Theres a lot more people on Twitter posting how much they hate cyclists at the moment

Maybe that’s it.

renton
    Free Member

right ok so Ive just sat at my computer which has a wifi internet adaptor picking up my internet and this is the speed Im getting…….

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3020937007

At the same time I did it on my phone too, results by phone test have always been steady 8.5 to 9.5 ish !!

The test I jst did gave me the following….

Ping 46 ms
    download 0.77 mbps
    upload 0.88 mbps

WTF is going on?

teadrinker
    Free Member

I haven’t read all the responses so sorry if this is a repeat. My pa in law suggested changing the frequency on our router, worked a treat when we did, I’m with BT so not sure you can do this on all routers.

heavyman
    Free Member

If it is just computer equip and phone is ok then it could be your ADSL filter, they become faulty quite often, try changing that.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

As someone had said above it might be someone nearby that had a wifi router in the same band.

You can change this in the settings. Had to do it on mine recently and is made a world of difference.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Sorry about the spelling, my phone thinks it’s doing me favours.

Potdog
    Free Member

If you have access to the router admin panel have a look there to see what speed its reporting. Then if possible do a speed test with your computer connected to the router using a lan cable to rule out any wifi issues.

stu1972
    Free Member

Sounds like DLM (Digital Line Management) to me. Phone up CS and ask them if its currently throttling your connection.

Happened to me, some type of exchange hardware that allegedly detects errors on your line then throttles you down until it finds a stable speed. Resettting your router during DLM allegedly worsens the problem as the exchange hardware thinks its seeing more dropped signals.

Worth a try

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘internet speed dropped quite a lot??’ is closed to new replies.