Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Internet speed different between devices. Macbook slow, iPhone fast
  • woody74

Any thoughts as to why web pages take ages( 20 seconds) to load on my 6 month old Macbook but instantly on my iPhone. This doesn’t seem to happen on all wifi connections. At my parents house for instance my laptop only works (gets a wifi signal) if you sit within 2 metres of the router. With my iPhone you can be anywhere in the house. It’s almost like the laptop is doing something in the background before it opens pages, but I can’t work out what this might be.

plyphon
    Free Member

The latest iPhones use the 5ghz band – I don’t know what adapter a MacBook has but if thats on the 2.4Ghz which is congested with other devices on that channel then that could be why.

20 seconds is quite a long time though. Maybe the WiFi adapter is failing. Certainly possible.

GrahamS

At my parents house for instance my laptop only works (gets a wifi signal) if you sit within 2 metres of the router.

This sounds like the issue. I reckon your laptops wifi is on the way out – either the adaptor or the antenna.

You could try plugging in a USB wifi adaptor (assuming such things exist for Macbooks) and see if that makes a difference. That would confirm it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Try an ethernet cable ? Mac loading full webpage (inc lots of tedious ads 😉 ) Phone loading optimised mobile version ?

woody74

Thanks all, I did wonder if the wifi adapter might be playing up. Anyone know of any software that might be able to check.

STATO
    Free Member

Mac loading full webpage (inc lots of tedious ads ) Phone loading optimised mobile version ?

That’s certainly the case for my very slow home broadband. Phones run optimised apps, websites etc. The laptop will be trying to load very heavy websites optimised for high speed connections.

Infact websites these days seem to be optimised for connections faster than you can actually get, its like the designers forget to check things load when your accessing through the internet, rather than plugged directly into the hosting server.

jimdubleyou

Infact websites these days seem to be optimised for connections faster than you can actually get, its like the designers forget to check things load when your accessing through the internet, rather than plugged directly into the hosting server.

Bug rejected, WFM.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jim can you give me an estimate for the data and processor load of a fully functional ad heavy webpage and its mobile equivalent ? Just asking.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Internet speed different between devices. Macbook slow, iPhone fast’ is closed to new replies.