Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Internet shopping. Ever heard of this?
  • Jenga
    Free Member

Wanted to buy an item off the internet. Was shown as in stock. I filled out the order form, and got a message saying that company would ring me. Odd I thought, but not to worry. Company rang, and told me item was in stock, which I knew. They asked how I wanted to pay. Credit cards had 2% surcharge, which is not unknown, or I could do a bank transfer, which was OK as I had the funds. Company said they would send me details of payment requirements to my e-mail. I then got an e-mail with an attachment that had to be completed with either credit card details, or confirmation of bank details so that they'd be able to identify my payment on their bank account. This form had to be signed and faxed back to them and then they would give me the OK to make the payment.

They have a big fancy website, are not selling cheap tat, promote themselves as an on line retailer, but seem to be putting every obstacle that they can in the way of on line transactions.

I've never heard of being asked to fax my details to an on line retailer, before they will put my order in hand. Anyone else come across this sort of thing before?

tragically1969
    Free Member

Sounds weird to say the least, which retailer is it, done a google search on them for problems ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

be grateful it wasn't carrier pigeon…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I bought something that was sent out with an invoice, and I paid after I recieved it. Odd, but it works…..

ski
    Free Member

Big fancy website ran by a 12 year old kid maybe?

I don't know? Could be they have been stung in the past with a big fraud and just taking it to an extreme.

does seem strange though?

uplink
    Free Member

I don't like that
    To me it sounds like they're harvesting enough info to set up a direct debit or similar

ski
    Free Member

saying that, I have had it the other way.

Phoned up a online retailer for a bit of biking kit (£120), never used them before, they took my address and said they would drop an invoice for me to pay with the goods and posted the goods and invoice together?

Del

i'd mail them back with a 'sorry, but this too much like hard work' message, and buy elsewhere.

DezB
    Free Member

I seem to remember this sort of thing from the early 90s.

Most of those companies have gone out of business now

alpin
    Free Member

with german online retailers many don't allow you to pay with credit cards. instead you can either pay upfront via bank transfer or after you've received the goods (a little more expensive).

bit more of a faff but less chance of forgery?

glenh
    Free Member

Whether it's dodgy or not, why bother if they make it so much hassle?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I'm with Uplink- sounds odd. If in doubt I'd steer clear. And dodgy dealings aside, as glenh says they'd have to be selling something I really wanted and nobody else had to make it worth the faff.

Jenga
    Free Member

Thanks guys. I'm trying to buy SWMBO a nice watch. Isn't cheap £1k+, but I've spent more than that on my card before with no hassle. I can get the same watch from anyone of a number of outlets, but they are all a bit dearer. 2% credit card surcharge seems to be the norm, but everywhere else I've looked I can just order like I'd order a new tyre form CRC – a few clicks and the jobs done. I've told these folk that I can't be bothered with their pfaffing around. And besides we don't have a fax here; thought they were old technology, we just use e-mail and attachments.

A very odd set up.

Davy
    Free Member

I don't understand why they'd need to know your bank details in order to know that you'd transfered the money. Surely just a unique order number as the payee reference would suffice!

Personally I'd steer clear of them…

DT78
    Free Member

I seem to remember I had to do something similar when I ordered a camera from pixmania a few years back. Personally I'd veiw the 2% credit card charge as insurance in case you are ripped off….

flamejob
    Free Member

Bought a new Telly reciently and had the same polava.

… that is in Spain mind you; where you have to show photo ID for every card transaction.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

uplink, if you do a bank transfer you only give them the same info thats printed on a cheque – name, bank account number and sort code, so its no more dangerous than giving someone a cheque.

I agree with other poster though that I'd suffer the 2% CC charge for the insurance it offers (consumer credit act etc), which is why I never buy mail order with a debit card (where its youre money youre fighting to get back if you get scammed, or the product is dud).

Northwind

Uplink wrote, "To me it sounds like they're harvesting enough info to set up a direct debit or similar"

Munqe-chick is spot on, this isn't exactly top secret information, there's easier ways to get it. DD fraud is a mug's game, and the victim gets their money back anyway on the rare occasions it happens, it's not a big problem. Basically what I'm saying is, never worry about this again 😉

uplink
    Free Member

Yes, I know there's no danger giving out bank details, I do it all the time 🙄

But, they also asked for a scan of his signature if he was sending credit card details, that's not normal IME & not worth doing if the item can be had else where without that palaver
    Chances are it's legit but unless it the only place to get it – I'd go elsewhere.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Internet shopping. Ever heard of this?’ is closed to new replies.