Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • internet radio phone app- will it batter my data allowance?
  • IHN

Cos I can see myself using it quite a lot

Moses

On your phone – yes.
    On landline broadband, – no

unklehomered
    Free Member

Should be an app you can get from your service provider to track data usage.

It will, but it will use wireless preferencially. You can tell it no to use 3g if you want.

BigJohn

If you’re on Orange you can text “Bundles” to 150 and it tells you how much you have left. I started using Spotify and then internet radio and found by texting each day for 3 days I was burning about 30Mb data for every hour listened to.

On my package that was too much so I stopped using it.

IHN

Yeah, I can track the 3g data usage on my phone, I just wondered what it typically was.

Looks like I won’t be using it on the train 🙁

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

will it batter my data allowance?

Yes, somewhat. But mostly your battery.

Enjoy 🙂 I suggest BaseFM NZ !

leffeboy

Fwiw I find using tunein radio on the iPad in the car uses about 1mb/min roughly

unklehomered
    Free Member

BaseFM NZ

Brilliant, just tuned in, ten words before someone said n*gg*r… I was not able to catch 6 of the 9 preceding words… 😳

blank blank blank – I put you blank blank blank n*gg*r… I assume they all lived happily ever after.

ryderredman
    Free Member

I feel sorry for your poor little antenna!

Are you using an android phone?

Could I possibly recommend google play music? If you run windows/mac you have a little client to upload music to your google account. This is stored on the net and you can download the music from your library as and when you like (just do it when you have wifi connection). I have loads of playlists that i just either stream or sync to my device.

Oh and in true STW fashion, its free

CountZero

I used to use TuneIn Radio to listen to 6Music, usually from 10am, (to avoid George Lamb), until 3.30pm, when I went home. Over five days, that used 500Mb, so 1Gb monthly allowance is gone in a fortnight.
    You could try 3, as they still have unlimited data, but their signal is usually weak and patchy, even around towns.
    [Edit]

Oh and in true STW fashion, its free

the data isn’t, and that’s the point.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Oh dear. But at the same time, LOL 😀

You must be listening at a different time to me homer, it’s usually Soul/Funk or Reggae when I listen. You must have got the Hip Hop ?!

😳

You’re not in a school are you?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I really miss the actual FM radio in my Sony Ericsson phones 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

TV

Watching 30 minutes of video may consume between 25MB and 112MB of data depending on your available connection speed.

Watching 60 minutes of video may consume between 50MB and 225MB of data depending on your available connection speed.

Radio

Listening to 30 minutes of radio may consume up to 30MB of data.

Listening to 60 minutes of Radio may consume up to 60MB of data.
    BBC advice (other bitrates available)
    if your on android just look for data usage by app

jfletch
    Free Member

Sod the data, your real limiting factor if traveling in the car or on a train will be the signal.

Outside of urban areas you just won’t have a fast enough connection to listen to the radio.

BigJohn

I drove from Manchester to Stafford yesterday and couldn’t bear listening to the tennis and my cheap tesco portable DAB radio was in the car. I put it on the passenger seat and got perfect uninterrupted reception all the way. Having snapped the aerial, and only having a 30mm stub I was surprised.

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

I found that apart from the data, the dropping of the signal whilst the train is moving rather annoying.

I now use podcasts of radio shows instead. The phone uses wifi to download any new shows from my list when it’s in the house without me having to do anything and then I can listen to the podcast on the train. No data costs. No dropped signals. Works nice.

The settings mean older shows automatically get deleted so the phone doesn’t get bloated either.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘internet radio phone app- will it batter my data allowance?’ is closed to new replies.