Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Internet powerplug things – recommendations
  • keppoch

Looking to get some of these for my brother. His wifi seems flaky so I have suggested some of these.

Would be looking for something easy to setup that allows you to plug into router and then elsewhere from plugs via ethernet to PC and iMac.

Ability to also distribute wifi elsewhere in the house a bonus.

Any recommendations?

nickjb
    Free Member

I use the TP Links. Work very well for me. I think we have 4 now

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yep I use tp link too. One plugged into a socket behind the tv then plugged into a hib for tv/sky box/apple tv, another in my sons room for tv/mac/x box. They work very well.

keppoch

Thanks, which one specifically? Do these to Ethernet and wifi or just ethernet? Can you mix and match or should I buy all in one kit?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do these to Ethernet and wifi or just ethernet?

They’re not signal boosters, you need to plug a network cable into them. I wouldn’t mix and match, but that’s probably more to do with OCD than their technical abilities 🙂

I got these

brant
    Free Member

I have always bought them from http://solwise.co.uk/ and like the people there very much. They seem a good bunch.

From £12.08 – http://solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-intro.htm

Northwind

I’ve got tplink ones but we can’t get the wireless booster one to work reliably… The hardwire ones have been perfect.

eltonerino

TPLink for us too. Four AV600 (with 3 ports) spread around the house where wifi barely reaches. Haven’t been a problem in the nearly year that we’ve been running them.

Often have 2x netflix + 1x sky go on. Or video calls while streaming movies too.

drlex
    Free Member

+1 for solwise. Much cheapness.

keppoch

Thanks all. Hopefully this will resolve the recent issues.

Flaperon

If you have BT Infinity (or equivalent) be aware that they operate on similar frequencies.

You might not notice straight away because the speed will be progressively reduced by the equipment in the green box down t’road to compensate. Took months to return to normal.

Keando

I had D-Link ones but had problems with them – flakey connection. Apparently didn’t like upstairs and downstairs ring mains, prefer to be on the same circuit.

Now using TPLink pass-through ones and no problems at all. Looking to buy a couple more.

retro83
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member

If you have BT Infinity (or equivalent) be aware that they operate on similar frequencies.

You might not notice straight away because the speed will be progressively reduced by the equipment in the green box down t’road to compensate. Took months to return to normal.

Can you explain further? Frequency of what?

I have BT Infinity, it comes into the house over the normal phone line, into a combined modem/router/WAP. How would one of these plug in thingies affect it?

Cletus
    Free Member

+1 Solwise. I have four units (3 different models including a wireless model) and they all work fine.

Mine are 200Mbps and I am thinking of upgrading to 500Mbps as I move a lot of large files between my PCs and server that lives in the attic.

brant
    Free Member

I ended up buying a new router yesterday after browsing on the Solwise site 🙂

Damn.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Flaperon – Member

+1 retro83- Flaperon, not heard this one before, can you illuminate?

dannybgoode

The work of the devil Powerline stuff. Spits horrible RFI through the mains and can screw up the delicate electronic equipment of your neighbours (not a conspiracy theory, Ofcom now have the power to prohibit people from using it if it is causing RFI issues for others).

Get a decent length of cat V cable and wire directly in to the router. Will give better performance than Powerline anyway and way cheaper.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Internet powerplug things – recommendations’ is closed to new replies.