Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Internet of things?
  • allthepies
    Free Member

My description was in English but the code is C/C++ 😉

g5604
    Free Member

Yet to see a useful example. I have a nest, but it’s just like a normal thermostat expect it loses WiFi connection all the time.

shinton
    Free Member

For hobbyists IFTTT looks interesting. A guy I work with is messing around with this and can switch on a Hue light when his Ring doorbell goes off. Just a simple example but there are loads of things you can do.

For commercial use around 80% of the use is predicted to be B2B.

giant_scum
    Free Member

This on-line course might be of use if you can get past the really annoying presenter telling you how brilliant he is

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/internet-of-things/5/register

GrahamS

I have a nest, but it’s just like a normal thermostat expect it loses WiFi connection all the time.

I’m sure a Nest devotee will be along shortly, but isn’t the point of the Nest thermostat that:
    – it learns how you like the temperature and then does it for you.
    – it detects when you leave the house and drops the temperature.
    – it knows the local weather and humidity and adjusts itself to compensate.
    – it can be controlled remotely (e.g. so you can turn the temperature up before you get home).

Granted none of that is essential (very little of IoT is) but it seems pretty far from an old plastic Honeywell dial on the wall.

molgrips
    Free Member

My colleague made a switch in Minecraft that could operate the room lights *in real life*.

g5604
    Free Member

The nest learning just means instead of 5 mins setting it once, you have to continually fiddle with the dial for weeks and then it changes sensible settings after one unusually hot/cold day.

The local weather is pointless as most people are happy to have a set temperature at all times, why does it matter what the outdoor temp is?

Turning off when leaving is good, but is buggy.

Never felt the need to turn on my heating when I am not home. The nest is programmed to come on a set times so it is never too cold.

Only thing I like is the app as I find the scroll wheel device almost unusable

g5604
    Free Member

Why do you need a light bulb to come on when a door bell is pressed? What about if it not dark or you are not home? Does the bulb switch off?

GrahamS

So it’s not “just like a normal thermostat” then, you just don’t like it very much? Fair enough.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

It’s potentially a nightmare, it just depends on what you actually need and the quality of what you build or obtain.

If a company makes IoT style devices then the firmware/software used should either be completely FOSS (Free Open Source Software) so anyone can modify and maintain it, or if proprietary should be guaranteed to be fully maintained for a decent lifespan.

We are getting to the point where companies that should know better will push a locked down product onto the market with little intention of maintaining it longer than 24 months. This might be fine for disposable items but terrible for products that have lifespans that might run to a decade or more.

Example: I used to own a basic Seagate NAS drive that by default is open to the Internet. This was purchased in 2014, this year I was poking around with it and realised it had some gaping security holes (not really a problem for me as I blocked it from the internet). I quite reasonably expected Seagate to have published some firmware patches to plug these, but no, the device is now discontinued and a potential security risk for those who don’t have the knowledge on how to properly lock it down (or better yet extract the HDD and plug it into something else).

andybrad

– it learns how you like the temperature and then does it for you.

Not really. it does drop it back once a year though to try and save you money.

– it detects when you leave the house and drops the temperature.

best thing about it. Switches it off after 2 hours of no one being at home

– it knows the local weather and humidity and adjusts itself to compensate.

it knows the weather but doesn’t compensate.

– it can be controlled remotely (e.g. so you can turn the temperature up before you get home).

ok comming back from holiday in winter.

GrahamS

Fair enough andy. I don’t have one. Just though saying it was just like a normal thermostat was a bit odd.

Anyway, back to the OP and getting into IoT. One of the most accessible routes is probably playing about with a Raspberry Pi.

Plenty of IoT projects based around a Pi in the back issues of MagPi, which are all available as PDFs free of charge from:
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/

g5604
    Free Member

The point I was making was all the “smart” features do not actually solve any problems, so you might as well have standard thermostat.

aracer
    Free Member

So a specific IoT device is a bit rubbish. That doesn’t mean IoT is rubbish.

Admittedly it is all a bit overhyped and many things are solutions looking for problems (who really needs an IoT kettle?) but there are useful applications.

GrahamS

Yeah, very few IoT things are “essential” because, well, we’ve done just fine without them till now.

But the point isn’t really that everyone particularly needs a lightbulb than can be controlled by their phone or a mirror that displays the news headlines.

The point is that ever cheaper electronics, consumer accessible micro controllers, and omnipresent wifi, means that it is now possible to make these things yourself for a few quid and a bit of know-how.

TheBrick
    Free Member

IoT is just like factory 4.0 really.

atlaz
    Free Member
    g5604
    Free Member

So what are the useful examples?

hot_fiat

There’s a great twitter account that covers all the IOT stuff: @internetofshit

Can’t decide if my favorite is the salt shaker that cant grind salt, or the juicer.

aracer
    Free Member

A CH timer. Better control interface than the standard buttons and LCD display, automatic adjustment when the clocks change, when you’re away on holiday you can turn the heating and hot water off and turn it back on for hot water when you’re nearly home.

The trouble with IoT is that rather than just simple better functionality like that people feel the need to have bells and whistles – hence overly complicated thermostats doing stuff nobody really needs (personally I rarely touch the thermostat, a basic single setting is fine for that).

aracer
    Free Member

..and then we have the haterz:

All of those hating on IoT seem to be missing that the problem there isn’t the coffee machine installer, or even the concept of having an internet connected coffee machine (which has some reasonable benefits), but whoever is in charge of the important security critical airgapped network for the control room.

allthepies
    Free Member

My beer fridge, in the garage. I can ask Alexa what the beer temp is and change it if need be.

😛

atlaz
    Free Member

All of those hating on IoT seem to be missing that the problem there isn’t the coffee machine installer, or even the concept of having an internet connected coffee machine (which has some reasonable benefits), but whoever is in charge of the important security critical airgapped network for the control room.

But some devices just don’t NEED to be connected to the internet. I can’t see a single need for my kettle to be online… it’s never so urgent that I can’t wait a minute for it to boil. Locks that can be hacked, or bricked are another example. Enhancing devices with the internet should benefit us not just bring a whole new set of problems that, at the very least, entirely replace the existing problems (ie. lost keys vs. bricked IoT lock. Lazu development is part of the problem (see devices that won’t function at all without internet access). Just because we CAN do stuff, doesn’t mean we SHOULD. I’m far from a luddite and I can see a use-case for lots of IoT devices… just not all of them.

DezB
    Free Member

But some devices just don’t NEED to be connected to the internet.

Is this here such an example?

aracer
    Free Member

I agree – I already mentioned kettles (it’s not about it not being urgent, it’s that you have to manually interact with it anyway). However it is potentially useful for a coffee machine (a commercial one, which could provide fault and maintenance information).

The interesting thing here is that IoT devices with poor security are showing up other security holes – security of networks shouldn’t just be reliant on the security of devices connected to them.

beej

Lots of consumer IoT does seem a bit silly. There’s a huge amount of value in industry though.

[video]https://youtu.be/haYd0L4bQzA[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/B3CZXp-RK0g[/video]

From https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/internet-of-things/customer-stories

GrahamS

C’mon, that internet-controlled butt plug looks pretty good! 😆

“I can’t come in today boss, Chinese hackers have taken over my arse”

DezB
    Free Member

I just had a thought about an internet enabled tyre pressure gauge – I could check my tyres from my desk instead of strolling down to the bike shed every lunchtime. Want!

molgrips
    Free Member

Seen the ads for that internet enabled doorbell? Someone rings it, it puts them through directly to your smartphone via video so you can talk to them – if it’s a delivery driver you can tell them where to put the parcel.

Not a bad idea?

nickjb
    Free Member

But some devices just don’t NEED to be connected to the internet. I can’t see a single need for my kettle to be online.

What if it was hooked in the national grid, along with every other kettle, and could be used to help control peak demand? OK not a NEED, but then as already said no modern tech is NEED. I’m sure when electric kettles came out there were similar arguments.

GrahamS

Seen the ads for that internet enabled doorbell? Someone rings it, it puts them through directly to your smartphone via video so you can talk to them

“Yeah, I’ll be down in a minute. Just taking a shit.”

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

“Yeah, I’ll be down in a minute. Just taking a shit.”

GrahamS

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

It’s already hooked into the national grid along with every other kettle – exactly how does information on exactly when kettles are being used help with managing peak demand when they already have lots of information on what the peak demand (from all appliances) is? It doesn’t tell them anything useful they don’t already know (even assuming kettles would do that, and they won’t).

There are real practical advantages to electric kettles, so no I don’t suppose there were similar arguments.

nickjb
    Free Member

exactly how does information on exactly when kettles are being used help with managing peak demand

Information can go two ways. Limit demand when it is in short supply. I expect well see continuously variable pricing sometime soon and more smart devices to take advantage.

There are real practical advantages to electric kettles, so no I don’t suppose there were similar arguments.

So why did they take so long to catch on in France (And possibly other nations that I don’t have experience of) if its such a universally good idea? Why can’t there be real practical advantages to smart devices that we simply aren’t aware of yet?

CountZero

A CH timer. Better control interface than the standard buttons and LCD display, automatic adjustment when the clocks change, when you’re away on holiday you can turn the heating and hot water off and turn it back on for hot water when you’re nearly home.

My C/H timer automatically adjusts itself when the clocks change. As far as heating is concerned, it will come on in the morning, just to warm the house a bit during the day, then again around tea-time, because I never know exactly when I’m going to be home, I just want a bit of warmth because the room I always use has no radiator, only a gas fire if it’s really cold, the rest of the time I put on a thicker top and stop wearing shorts, I usually have some tea-lights going when I’m watching telly, and the telly screen chucks out a surprising amount of heat, so I don’t need to keep adjusting things. About the only things I might like to switch on are lights so the house doesn’t look empty, but I can just get a couple of timer units to plug a couple of lights into, ‘cos it’s only going to be in winter around tea-time again.

I just had a thought about an internet enabled tyre pressure gauge – I could check my tyres from my desk instead of strolling down to the bike shed every lunchtime. Want!

They’re available for cars, Zus have just introduced a complete car kit with rear reversing camera, tyre gauges, etc
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/zus-connected-car-system–2#/

aracer
    Free Member

So what you’re suggesting is that my IoT kettle won’t boil water for my cup of tea when I want one because the demand is too high? Remind me again why I want an IoT kettle…

Why can’t there be real practical advantages to smart devices that we simply aren’t aware of yet?

I’m sure there can, but suggesting there are advantages I haven’t thought of, and which you can’t explain to me because you (and everybody else) haven’t thought of them either is a bit, well, hand wavy.

If there are advantages, then tell me what they are – I’m yet to see a credible reason for owning an IoT kettle. In case I need to point it out again, I’m not an IoT hater, it’s an area I’ve worked in so it should be in my benefit to talk it up. If you wait a minute I’ll argue in favour of IoT, but it’s just silly adding it to devices which don’t need it – to use an example mentioned earlier, who wants to use an app on their phone to dispense salt?

aracer
    Free Member

Which already requires a significant level of smartness. Your C/H requirements are fairly normal and I’m not suggesting an IoT version will do anything significantly different, but wanting it to be on for when you get home but that being a variable time is where there is a real advantage. You could for example get your phone to send a request to turn the heating on when it connects with bluetooth in your car in your work car park after 3 in the afternoon, so you have to do nothing but your heating comes on for you.

dazh

I work in the digital division of a large consultancy firm and can honestly say that the IoT is a load of bollocks. There is no reason why everyday objects or appliances should be connected to and accessible to the internet. I mean, it results in things like this…

[video]https://youtu.be/o2e1x5IaO7k[/video]

aracer
    Free Member

You might as well say that bicycles are a load of bollocks because they lead to things like this:

It’s useful for some things to be connected, not others.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Internet of things?’ is closed to new replies.