Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Internet explorer not working – help.
  • dickie
    Free Member

While using the internet this morning on home computer the message came up ‘internet explorer has stopped working – windows is searching for a solution to the problem’.

Then ‘A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the programme & notify you if a solution is available’.

Is there anything I can fo other than wait?

(this message is from work computer)

johndoh
    Free Member

I called Virgin today (unrelated matter) and they had a message up about this – it sounds like a major issue.

Can you use another browser?

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Do you have Norton? Seems like there might have been a problem with an update–running live update seems to sort it

br
    Free Member

Restart IE?

or just install another browser

dickie
    Free Member

Thanks – running the Norton live update cured it.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Do yourself a favour. Install Chrome and uninstall IE 😀

Northwind

I was talking to our web devs about an issue on a page the other day, it doesn’t display properly in any older version of explorer. I thought that was a big problem, they patiently explained nobody uses explorer any more, so they don’t worry too much about supporting it. 7.8% now, that’s crazy, Opera’ll overtake it soon.

deadkenny
    Free Member

uninstall IE

Not possible really in Windows 😉 (well you can sort of but it just hides it).

Generally I favour Chrome, but have to admit IE 11 Metro/Modern on Windows 8.1 is actually rather good on a touch tablet and Chrome is really horrible for touch.

Norton

Now there’s a bigger problem. That’s something worth uninstalling 😉 . Install Avast! or AVG instead (though AVG I find is getting bloated now). Only thing worse than Norton is McAfee.

I’d also normally deselect any options that install anti-virus plugins into your browser, or disable them in the browser. The AV is running in the background anyway for all processes, you don’t need it also scanning every web site you visit, sending the URL to their servers invading your privacy and when things go wrong ending up with pages not loading. Just extra bloat. Plus Google themselves do checks on malware infected pages, on their search results at least.

aracer
    Free Member

+1 – surprised this advice didn’t appear earlier in the thread. On the new install I’m doing for the school I won’t uninstall IE just in case it’s needed for something funny, but it will be well hidden.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Not possible really in Windows (well you can sort of but it just hides it).

Disable the feature then 😉

I’ve just built a Win 7 Pro laptop to dual boot with Kali Linux. No IE = less updates 😀

andyfla
    Free Member

this is a norton/symantec definitions problem, simply updating your Av should sort it – had this prob at work today – had to go in at lunchtime to sort it (45 mins either way for 5 min update, bit pissed off)- had this issue with multiple computers so went straight to google – one week filter and i.e. crashing gave me an answer

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Internet explorer not working – help.’ is closed to new replies.