Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Internet bods couple of questions
  • tails
    Free Member

How do I tell if someone else is using my internet, I’m using a bt homehub and i run a macbook and downstairs is a pc.

What easy measures can i take to prevent someone from doing this?

thanks

seven
    Free Member

I assume that you mean someone is logging on to your home hub from else where.

If you don’t have it WEP enabled then do this and it will prevent anybody from logging on unless they know the 26 digit code. You will probably have to enter this for your mac and pc.

If it’s that some one is coming into your house and using it, then I’d change the locks 🙂

seven
    Free Member

Ohh forgot to say, you can log onto the homehub and see who is connected. You should just see the pc and mac, if there is anybody else then you’ll know someone somewhere is pinching your bandwidth

coffeeking
    Free Member

WEP is super easily cracked, WPA is a lot harder.

You can tell if someone is using your system because the HH displays a list of all devices that have connected, if you cant match the MAC addresses to the ones of your known PCs, someone has been on it. Enable WPA encryption, or use the option that enables only known MAC addresses, though that still isnt secure on its own.

tails
    Free Member

sorry your talking to a bit of a novice here, it does have WEP enabled. How do i log into the homehub?

Oggles
    Free Member

Try browsing to http://bthomehub.home/
    or 192.168.1.254

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Usually, it’s something like 192.168.0.1 (you type this into your browser address bar). This will then probably bring up a username and password login screen. The details should be somewhere in your documentation, or even on the hub itself. Once you’ve done this, you will get a screen with all sorts of info. There should be something with ‘attached devices’. Can’t remember exactly where, in the HH management page.

Should show you if someone else has hacked in. If they have, then they can’t be too far away. Next door, maybe?

It isn’t that easy for an average computer user to crack your WEP password. But it is possible, so you should be careful.

tails
    Free Member

thanks for the help guys i’ll have a little search.

Drac

Usually, it’s something like 192.168.0.1

Depends entirely on router amongst other things.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Internet bods couple of questions’ is closed to new replies.