• This topic has 34 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • internet banking/websites that don't use special keypads to log on at home
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

With HSBC that have a key generator type device to log on this is now the 3rd time the key has gone down which is really annoying as can’t log on and count my millions !

Apart from Halifax what other banks don’t use these stupid key devices as its now gone past a joke !

Friend of mine was on holiday in Thailand and his key device decided not to work…now that is annoying

I dont owe HSBC any loyalty…

Stoner
    Free Member

barclays and RBS both use key generators for log in so theyre out.
    Never had a problem with them though.

jota180
    Free Member

Smile

yunki
    Free Member

First Direct and Santander

marvinpines
    Free Member

First Direct – no key generator despite being HSBC…

trail_rat
    Free Member

nationwide is optional.

you can use the key pad or a combination of pre defined numbers , personal info and numbers you can choose.

Still need the key pad to make transfers or payments outwith your own accounts though.

much prefer the bank of scotlands way of phoning me to confirm when i set up a new payment.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

Natwest don’t use one for login. You do have to use one the first time you do a transfer to a particular account. After the first time you don’t have to use it again to transfer to that account.

thepurist

Natwest doesn’t need on to log in but has a keypad thing for authorisation if you want to set up a new payee or anything.

As above… 🙄

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Lloyds tsb don’t use key pad and same as RBS ring you when you set up a new payment

richmars

I don’t with Lloyds, but not sure if new accounts do. With mine they give you a number on screen, then phone you so you can enter the number on the phone. Worked well (but only done that once).

FuzzyWuzzy

Although Barclays do you can also use their phone app for most banking stuff so can always have that as a backup (although my keypad’s been fine for a couple of years…)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Don’t have to use a key thingy for Barclays anymore. Same for homepage banking on phone. Same for phone app.

EDIT: This news may not have reached Malverncestershire yet 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

With RBS, only need a keypad to set up new payees etc, not for normal stuff.

Militant_biker

Santander from an old A&L account. No keypad, but a passcode sent to a phone to set up anything new.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

*I shall be off to one of the above banks and opening a new account now been on hold for 25 mins to try and sort the error

loddrik
    Free Member

Nationwide and Santander here, if either of then brought them in I’d switch like a shot.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

With Lloyds when you set up a new payee there’s an automated phone call within about 5 seconds (literally) and you let in the code off the screen to confirm its you. No keypad. It works well.

br
    Free Member

You must be either unlucky, use it a lot and just be too hard with it and we’re all with HSBC and never have had a problem.

bencooper
    Free Member

Smile don’t use them either.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh and afaik, the Barclays phone app has PinSentry incorporated for new payees, etc.

jam-bo

Oh and afaik, the Barclays phone app has PinSentry incorporated for new payees, etc.

yup. its a pretty good app, almost worth sticking with barclays for.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

First Direct, great bank and no stupid keypad. Win win

GrahamS

+1 for NatWest

No keypad to log in, check balances, transfer money, make payments etc
    Card Reader device used when setting up new payees.

Best of both worlds: easy to use and multi-factor security where it is most needed.

Plus as discussed on the other thread recent, NatWest let you look back at 7 years worth of transactions. Some banks only provide a year and charge if you want more.

Rio

Strangely I wouldn’t bank with anyone that didn’t require some sort of 2-factor authentication on the grounds that having easy access to your account is no use if someone’s nicked your money. As others have said the Barclays mobile app works well and removes the need to carry a separate OTP generator with you.

cheburashka
    Free Member

To be fair the keypads are a PITA but as for Santander, their security is so woeful, and fraud depts so incompetent, that they really could do with starting to use them.

andytherocketeer

Santander phone PIN is handy. At least you probably have that wherever you are, at any time, although maybe a bit less secure than a bank provided PIN keypad.

ABN-Amro in holland have a PIN pad that you have to insert the bank card to activate. Fine until you need a new card, and nothing works and you have no access until the new card is activated and used in an ATM… or the batter gets too low (mine has – need new card+keypad).

Won’t get started on NatWest, cos that’s a different story.

DezB
    Free Member

First Direct, great bank

Great? how’s that work? 🙂

Switched to Nationwide to get away from HSBC’s crappy device. I hope it’s losing them customers cos they didn’t listen to me when I told them I didn’t want to use the piece of junk.

phiiiiil

Smile used to use a keypad thingy when I used them a few years ago, have they stopped?

jota180
    Free Member

Smile used to use a keypad thingy when I used them a few years ago, have they stopped?

They sent me one a couple of years ago, not needed for login but had to use it a couple of times for new transfers

Northwind

HBOS and so presumably Lloyds use an overly-complex password system instead. But on the downside, they’re still rubbish.

My Abbey accounts don’t need a keypad, but the internet banking is incredibly awful and seems to randomly reset the passwords- which then takes about 2 weeks to unlock.

stumpy01

HSBC now has the Fast Balance app on your phone (assuming you have a compatible phone) so you can at least check balances without needing the keypad.

emsz
    Free Member

Lloyds , fine if you havent changed your mobile number and forgotten to tell them…7 days to set up a new one. 7 days!!!

Miffy
    Free Member

First Direct

Miffy
    Free Member

and you £100 for moving over the win.
    win win win

DezB
    Free Member

so presumably Lloyds use an overly-complex password system instead

I use this: https://internetbankingplus1.firstdirect.com/ibplus/homePage_10.jsp

1 login and password for all accounts.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘internet banking/websites that don't use special keypads to log on at home’ is closed to new replies.