Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Internet Arguing and moments of clarity.
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve had one of those moments where I can see what an utter waste of time it is to argue online…rare indeed I’m afraid to say, perhaps a side-effect of being on the wagon.

Thing is, how do I stop the next slide…is there an AA-style 7-step mantra for Big Hitters?

chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure Al, but doesn’t asking on here defeat the object?

ojom
    Free Member

Dunno.

Fancy a massage?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Probably…I am actually being serious, and yes, but I can’t afford one.

ton

life really is too short to argue with people you dont know.
    once you have met them that is a differant fish kettle altogether.

so druidh and teej better watch out from now on…….. 😉

yunki
    Free Member

just ask yourself if you would rather

a) pointlessly argue for a few more hours.. or
    b) post a naked photo of yourself crouching on your desk like a rabid owler, curling out a steaming fresh turd onto your keyboard..

the answer should be b every time.. in which case you only have to decide between

a) ban
    b) no ban

s’easy peezy

GW
    Free Member

Just one?

muckytee
    Free Member

All your carefully constructed arguments can easily be ignored

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Does that mean Cynic-Al was always pi$$ed & arguing on here, folks can get rather argumentative at times, its like Real Housewifes of New York at times 😆

Jamie
    Free Member

I use a bastardised version of the line from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.

“TJ enters, this man leaves”

smell_it
    Free Member

I can see what an utter waste of time it is to argue online

Very true, particularly as more fun can be had by just making arsey/ smug/ condescending/ bell endish* comments and then just walking away without any angst.

*delete as appropriate.

GrahamS

I’ve had one of those moments where I can see what an utter waste of time it is to argue online..

You’re wrong and I’ll tell you why 😉

For me this falls into the same category as “It’s just the internet, it’s not real”.

It is real. We are real people. We don’t live in your computer. We have real lives outside of this electronic reality.

I for one enjoy many of the debates/arguments on here and I’m frequently led to consider alternative viewpoints – sometimes even by you al. Failing that they’ve at least made me laugh.

So, in that respect, it’s not any more a waste of time than talking to people in any context.

samuri
    Free Member

I hope to god I’ve never made anyone consider alternative viewpoints when I’ve been arguing online.

In case I did, “I was only having a laugh”.

donsimon
    Free Member

Very true, particularly as more fun can be had by just making arsey/ smug/ condescending/ bell endish* comments and then just walking away without any angst.

😛

GrahamS

I hope to god I’ve never made anyone consider alternative viewpoints when I’ve been arguing online.

In case I did, “I was only having a laugh”.

Is that the “Reverse Edinburgh Offence”?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Graham, well I’m flattered. I agree it’s good to discuss stuff, what I mean is 3+ page threads, with one person refining one point and insisting he (and it’s always guys) is correct, often against people with similarly entrenched views., or just enjoying the sport.

smell_it – Member

That’s what some people on here do and call it “discussion” – I think the “I pity you” comment is the worst.

GrahamS

what I mean is 3+ page threads, with one person refining one point and insisting he (and it’s always guys) is correct

To be honest I sometimes enjoy such threads when I’m embroiled in them.

But yeah, they can be tedious too. Perhaps just avoid arguing with that “one person” who is always right (whomever that may be)?

samuri
    Free Member

Aye. I’m just worried there’s someone out there desperately trying to slog their way up a snow covered 1:1 hill in 58:16 (fixed) while wearing nothing more than a vest, some ASDA socks and a turquiose thong.

GrahamS

And struggling to use a paper map and compass in zero visibility because they don’t trust the GPS? 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    To be honest I sometimes enjoy such threads when I’m embroiled in them.

Me too, but it’s that feeling afterwards when you realise you’ve just been mud-wrestling a pig.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m frequently led to consider alternative viewpoints

That’s not really in the spirit of STW GrahamS.

druidh
    Free Member

I do get frustrated when I see uninformed opinion mis-represented as FCAT! – an some of the cycling ones are the worst.

Politics threads are, of course, best avoided. I do wonder at some of the regular contributors on these threads though. Given that they never/rarely seem to post on the Cycling Sub-forum, do they haunt other OT forums round the world too – and if not, why STW?

jj55

Join your local Town/Parish council, you can then argue face to face with idiots.

druidh
    Free Member

I don’t even have to do that – I just offer them a lift in my van ….

GrahamS

That’s not really in the spirit of STW GrahamS.

It’s okay – I “consider them”… and then dismiss them as the inane ramblings of warped minds.

thegreatape
    Free Member

TFFT

hugor
    Free Member

I enjoy arguing as long as its logical and non abusive.
    All to often however great threads turn into abuse or willy waving and it just gets silly.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its too easy (for me) to be sucked into a maelstrom of arguing over minutiae when you are not actually far apart in reality – both sides get steadily more dogmatic.

I find some of the debates enlightening but its rare, I find some of the entrenched attitudes somewhat depressing.

however STW towers have made it clear to me that I, amongst others, am simply not to argue to any great extent on here anymore. I suspect my next ban will be the end of my time on here.

Debate is good, arguing is not. Unfortunately with the lack of nuance from text based debates it often ends in arguing.

donsimon
    Free Member

I find some of the debates enlightening but its rare, I find some of the entrenched attitudes somewhat depressing.

I couldn’t agree more.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d be surprised if everyone that gets involved in the long arguments doesn’t feel the same.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Nothing inherently wrong with an entrenched attitude as long as you’re prepared to accept other people’s entrenchments.
    It’s when someone tries to belittle or patronise another person for expressing a different opinion as strongly as they hold theirs that problems arise.
    Reasonable people don’t mind a suggestion they may be wrong, but do take offence at being told they’re stupid (IMO)

convert

I find some of the entrenched attitudes somewhat depressing.

It’s funny how the phrase “entrenched attitude” is so often used as a term of belittlement by those with similarly strongly held, but opposing beliefs, upon the realisation that they have no hope of altering the position of others in exactly the same that theirs will also never be changed. Pots and kettles spring to mind.

nick1962
    Free Member

cynical -al

I got heavy wheelsets for all my bikes on account of the fact that you said it made little difference.You telling us now that these were just drunken ramblings… 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

😀

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure most regulars on here hold very similar views on most of the big issues yet they still can’t get on.Minutiae…the devil’s always in the detail even for athiests

druidh
    Free Member

As an atheist, I don’t believe in the devil….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think that was his joke, druid.

druidh
    Free Member

🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

hilldodger – Member

Nothing inherently wrong with an entrenched attitude as long as you’re prepared to accept other people’s entrenchments.

Perhaps my failing? I find it very hard to accept peoples do not have an epiphany or a Damascene conversion when they actually hear my argument 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

druid – Member
    🙄

It’s this sort of thing that starts arguments, druid.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Internet Arguing and moments of clarity.’ is closed to new replies.