Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • International travellers -what carry on luggage?
  • Pook

What luggage does the international travelling stwer use these days?

I want to be able to take 2-3 days of stuff + laptop and not have to check my luggage in.

Rucksack or wheeled acceptable

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve got a Samsonite overnight + laptop thingy which is great…but…in terms of getting the most stuff on a flight I far prefer a regular small suitcase, you can fit far more in for the same overall size.

Getting 2-3 days in a overnight/laptop bag is tricky. It’s definitely doable in a small suitcase.

rocketman
    Free Member

Could be Samsonite not sure but basically it’s like a concertina with zips and it opens up small suitcase and zips down to briefcase size

HTH

hugo
    Free Member

Anything that maxes out the allowed dimensions

Beyond that, scan the small print as most places allow a laptop bag/handbag as well.

Wear a coat with lots of pockets. Serious suggestion!

m360
    Free Member

Weight is gong to be the killer isn’t it? I’d rule out wheeled luggage on this.

For example, Osprey make some of the lighter luggage out there Ozone 36 wheeled luggage is 1.92kg, whereas the Farpoint 40 backpack is 1.32kg.

I do like my North Face luggage, and the Surge 2 is a decent laptop/weekend bag.

jamiep
    Free Member

I’ve an Eastpak Tranverz Small. Lightweight for wheeled, sized-optimised for Ryanair. No specific section for a laptop although the back is hard-sided where the handle is.

MrSmith
    Free Member

i use think-tank photography bags (i’m a photographer) and when not travelling for work just remove the dividers and pack clothes etc, have a roller case thats the international size (airport international) and a rucksack (airport accelerator) that’s european carry-on with a laptop and iPad sleeve and a waist strap that can be hidden away.
    expensive but i hate crap equipment and having tried loads of other bags/cases i found these the best for me.
    i usually use the roller case as a hold bag as it has a TSE lock and it doesnt do that rocking back and forth on the wheels that cases with poor wheel placement do.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If’re travelling with the main airlines then you’ll probably get away with a conforming small to medium carry on case and a laptop bag. Striclty speaking you can only take one item in the cabin, but ladies are allowed an additional handbag, which i’m equating to a laptop bag. It’s been mentioned to me a few times at check-in but i’ve always been let off and never been told to put one item in the hold. Obviously if you’re travelling low cost, then they will be more strict with these things.

jimdubleyou

When you 2-3 days of stuff, do you mean just shirts, pants and socks or do you need jeans / trainers etc?

I used to take a fancy wheeled Samsonite (old version of the lite cube I think) which could actually fit trainers shirts / tshirts and traners for a work week away (left suits in hotel left-luggage).

Nowadays, a small North Face Duffel is my carry on of choice.

MrNice
    Free Member

What peterfile said above…

You should check the allowance with your airline. Long-haul and short-haul differ and not all airlines are the same. I’ve not had a problem with a laptop bag being my “personal item” in lieu of a handbag.

scaled
    Free Member

Just check your luggage in, it’s actually far less stress.

Just check in online, get to the airport and print the tags out then just drop the bag off. It normally takes less than 10 mins at Manchester. These days everyone seems to be doing the max allowable cabin baggage size and there’s not actually enough room on the planes.

Nice little carry on bag for in flight essentials and you can be the zen one sat at the gate, not rushing to board the plane to get a space in the lockers. No rush to get off the plane either and your bags are normally there.

ourmaninthenorth

I use an old (c10 years) Mandarina Duck wheeled trolley for simialr purposes (albeit I travel by train, rather than flying). It fits into European and International size restrictions as well.

TBH it’s just a rouch too small – I can fit in everything I need* except for my washbag. I leave this at work. Also if I take gym kit this comes in a separate bag.

*Includes:
    2 x shirts
    2 x boxers
    2 x pairs socks
    1 x shoes
    1 x trousers/jeans
    1 x thin jumper
    1 x 15″ laptop + charger + headset
    1 x notepad + pen, mini ipad, book, umbrella

This does me for 3 days away (including the clothes I wear on Monday!)

binners

br
    Free Member

Since the ‘liquid’ restrictions came in it mostly made sense otherwise you need to buy lots of the expensive (and small) wash-bag items – and/or throw away stuff if you suddenly decide to ‘carry-on’.

jam-bo

maybe for the occasional holiday.

if you travel regularly you get tired of your bags getting lost/delayed/destroyed.

hels
    Free Member

If your work are paying for it why not check it in ? MUCH less hassle, and you don’t have to lug it through the airport and can wait until the very last minute and swan breezily to your seat.

That’s what I do, and my checked in bag is usually waiting for me by the time I have fought my way off the plane, past all the tosspots with frackin wheely suitcases.

Del

done plenty of travelling for work over the past 15 years and have only had bags go awry twice. once when we had to get on another aircraft, and then another before departing ( the original was wheeled out of the hanger and they tried to fix it on the stand, the passengers were split over two subsequent flights ), and the other was when flying via de gaulle ( quelle surprise ).

i just love watching all the important business-men wrestling their bags in to the overhead, leaving no room for anyone else who may have to carry a laptop and a book. 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

if you travel regularly you get tired of your bags getting lost/delayed/destroyed.

I do long haul about once a month. One delayed bag in ten years or so, which arrived the next day. Never had a bag lost or destroyed.

Check it in.

DrJ

i just love watching all the important business-men wrestling their bags in to the overhead, leaving no room for anyone else who may have to carry a laptop and a book.

What I don’t love is watching them crush my small bag under their giant trolleys, or having cabin crew ask me to make room for them by putting my bag under the seat in place of my feet.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh, and if it has wheels or if you can’t carry it, it’s not allowed as cabin baggage.

Xylene
    Free Member

Tumi laptop clutch and Columbia roll on carry bag

MrNice
    Free Member

I do long haul about once a month. One delayed bag in ten years or so, which arrived the next day

I guess you’re lucky enough not to be connecting at Heathrow? Last time they left my bag behind on the way out and again on the way back. I’ve only connected there half a dozen times and I’m on a 50% failure rate for my case being on the same flight as me.

if it has wheels… it’s not allowed as cabin baggage

What? I’ve never seen that to be a problem so long as the wheels are included in the measurements.

DanW
    Free Member

I’ve had 11 international trips in the last 3 months involving flights (8 domestic too) and can agree that carry on is the way to go.

Lost bags do happen, especially with connections. It’s fairly rare but it’s a hassle you don’t need. Depending on your airline or airport the check-in can often be tedious and I much prefer just cruising straight through and on to the flight with the minimal time spent there as possible. Security at most places is usually smooth unless you’re somewhere like Istanbul

The liquid allowance is pretty relaxed now and you can stock up on hotel miniatures pretty easily just in case you end up somewhere shonky. No problem carrying a shaver either (maybe not long haul) so I can’t think of anything you’d need to check in.

For 2-3 days there isn’t really much to take and you don’t need anything special bag-wise. The key is what you take, that makes your life easy not necessarily the bag. I use a generic backpack with laptop sleeve. Fits easily under the seat in front too so no stress cramming things overhead in between the 1.5m bags that have somehow made it on..

huws
    Free Member

I fly most weeks and have got my packing down to the absolute essentials.

I use an 11 litre Inside Line Equipment apex day pack. It’s tiny but can take some pants, socks, a few t-shirts, a 13” laptop, an iPad and a book. Enough for 3-4 nights. And it fits in the gap above all the other massive bags in the overhead lockers. So I can stroll on at the last minute.

Getting out of the airport as quickly as possible is the most important thing for me. I’d avoid checking in a bag if at all possible.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Small case in the hold, cary on what you need in the plane / airport for a far more pleasurable way to travel.

geoffj

I bought mrsj a Dakine carry on 36l roller bag. I have a north face rolling thunder 22. Add some eagle creek pack it cubes and shirt folders and you can do 2 weeks without having to check a bag in.

I avoid checking in a bag if at all possible too.

For the budget options, look at the cabin max range.

peterfile
    Free Member

Small case in the hold, cary on what you need in the plane / airport for a far more pleasurable way to travel.

Maybe for you! The last thing I want to do is arrive at the airport and check a bag in, then have to wait for it at the other end, unless I really have to.

I’m normally quite restricted time wise at both ends, making it even more time consuming is pointless.

Rarely fly more than 4 hours for work though and rarely away for more than 3 days so I can travel quite light anyway. That said, I do it once a week or more so every time saving I can get is a real bonus.

kudos100
    Free Member

If’re travelling with the main airlines then you’ll probably get away with a conforming small to medium carry on case and a laptop bag. Striclty speaking you can only take one item in the cabin, but ladies are allowed an additional handbag, which i’m equating to a laptop bag. It’s been mentioned to me a few times at check-in but i’ve always been let off and never been told to put one item in the hold. Obviously if you’re travelling low cost, then they will be more strict with these things.

x2

I flew Longhaul with Lufthansa with a connecting flight and my luggage didn’t arrive (so much for German efficiency)

Luckily I ended up bringing all the essentials in hand luggage and bought some clothes while I was away.

On the way back I had a medium suitcase and a small rucksack in hand luggage and had no problems at all.

As long as it’s a decent airline you should be ok.

Pook

The last trip I did my bag went missing for two days.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s all this “waiting for baggage” you’re talking about?

😉

peterfile
    Free Member

That’s not your bag 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Of course it isn’t! I’m not sad enough to take a pic of my baggage tags! 🙂 The odd pic of my seat on some flights, maybe, but not that…! It’s almost as bad as the people who put their bronze card on their hand luggage*.

* Almost always the same asshats cramming massive trolley bags in to the overheads.

I’d post a pic of my last flight’s accommodation, but you’d only grumble about it! 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

Haha dammit!! I was hoping that you’d claim that it was and I could launch straight in with something along the lines “nice of you to take a pic in the excitement of it all”

You’re too quick!

NZCol

So what about suits then ? I have a suit carrier which is a PITA but I would like a carry on that lets me take a few shirts kecks etc as well as a suit that won’t be destroyed

TiRed

Barbour Explorer wax cotton bag sees me good for a week, and can take a laptop sleeve. I used to use roll-along, but for small luggage, the mechanism takes too much space. I also pack an unfoldable bag for clothes purchases for the kids. That is bigger than the Explorer and gets checked in on return.

For a suit, roll the trousers and wear the jacket.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Another fan of the Eastpak Transverz S.

Waited too many times for bags… Had then delayed for days at ORD twice and Heathrow once.

Check bags when I ski or Sail. Otherwise carry-on and stroll away.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

NZCol, I have one of these for occasional use;
    http://www.delsey.com/en/garment-bag-%2F-cover-%2F-sleeve/la-defense-tri-fold-garment-cover-%26-duffle/002239556.html

A sort of duffle bag/suit roller hybrid. Rather clever. Have used it as carry on for shorter trips, such a recent 2 dayer to Monaco. Neat and tidy.

deadslow

I agree that for two to three nights take aboard is the way forward. A soft side roller and separate laptop bag. Something with 4 decent wheels as you may have to walk miles. Ideally one that you can piggyback your laptop bag onto or buy one of these. .
    If you do check you bags in then photograph them before you check them in. This helps in two ways; firstly it helps you describe your black suitcase to the baggage agent after your long flight and secondly it shows the condition you checked it in in case of it arriving less than intact. In 20 years of frequent travel I have had three damaged suitcases (all replaced without issue), one bag delayed by 24 hrs and the same bag delayed 48hrs on both legs of the trip. The common issue on the delays is connection via Charles de Gaulle! Don’t connect and don’t connect via CDG with Air Chance. So named because there is a chance your bags will make it there there is a chance they wont!

cx_monkey

I’ve been using a Dakine Gemini since early this year:

http://eu.dakine.com/p/backpacks-and-gear/lifestyle-bags/backpacks/gemini-28l-15s

Awesome bag – everything got it’s own little home, laptop and tablet have their own external compartment behind your back, so dead easy to get at going through security. Enough room for a few days worth of spare clothes no probs.

Xylene
    Free Member

hmm, timely thread just realised that I have a conference in Singapore coming up, business dress, 3 days, plus two evenings. Expect at least 6 changes of clothes with the sweaty weather there.

Trying to work out if I can get away with just a carry on at the moment, or if I need to go and buy myself a new suitcase with suit carrier built in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘International travellers -what carry on luggage?’ is closed to new replies.