Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • International MTB frame numbers database M50L16935 Spec Bighit 06
  • kaesae
    Free Member

Specialized bighit 2006 Fox DHX4.0 shock.

Apologies for checking out this idea on here, it might not work but here it is.

These threads have powerful links and SEO properties for google organic searches so there is a good chance if you post the above text and the numbers for your frame they will be registered to your user name.

Which of course would make it much harder to pinch and resell it.

Mad I know but an international frame numbers database is long over due.

Hey single track you could set up this database easily why not do it?

A photo of the frame one of the numbers for confirmation and job jobbed. twice as hard to shift peoples pride and joys.

Or another thread I just killed!

druidh
    Free Member

Hmm – it's not a bad idea.

In the shoppe, we always record frame number of bikes we sell so that customers can get some details (who actually records these themselves?) Having a few photos of the frame might also be useful in the event of needing proof.

With your idea, anyone buying 2nd hand could just google the frame number to see who the original (and current) owner really is…..

bassspine
    Free Member

http://www.bikeregister.com/index.htm

often available free at cycling events

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Its downfall comes when the frame is sold on to another person surely- not everyone will update the records, and how do you check the owner actually legally owns it?

kaesae
    Free Member

I would hope that the online websites like descent world who have shown an interest in helping bikers out by running it, would update the data and evolve the system.

This is simply a demonstration of what is possible not the end result, if I can start this with a little ingenuity surely the mighty singletrack can do a lot better by the riders who support it?

Singletrack you could help with this project and make it much harder to sell stolen frames making it less appealing to steel them in the first place. Baring in mind mtb riders are being physically attacked to get at those bikes.

This system could easily be integrated with ebay and other online websites, a registration would be no harder to organize than a standard website registration, with some photo's.

Something to think about singletrack. Handbags away talk in your gobs a bit of actual hands on, getting it done!

bassspine
    Free Member

why reinvent the wheel? there's already bikeregister or the national cycle registry or the national bike register and several others
    google is a powerful tool…

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

What's to stop people taking pictures of other people's bikes and claiming that they own them?

DickBarton

Won't make it any harder to steal, but to sell on to those in the market may be harder (although your frame number picture only shows last 3 digits!)…

phoenixfromtheflame
    Free Member

Spacing looks a bit off in that pic too.

kaesae
    Free Member

3 digits so what, like I said an example of what could be done.

Because anyone can come onto google type in the numbers and check them out, easy access and if it's done properly and set up it could easily be do able.
    Bottom line no one has ever accomplished anything by going over why it won't work. Are you going to help make it happen or talk about why it won't work.

I bet most people have never heard of those bikeregister or the national cycle registry or the national bike register and several others.

The online websites could make this high profile and fun, all the traffic coming through these sites. You could easily add another layer of deterent and security to your bikes.

How many people on here have had bikes or bits from them nicked?

kaesae
    Free Member

http://www.bikeregister.com/?gclid=COuSzNTs2aACFZpc4wodWBbCBg

6 fooking quid?

http://www.nationalbikeregistry.com/proplock.html

WTF? how do you check a frame your about to buy? and could it be any more numpty friendly?

Come on people your always going on at me about this that and the next thing.

A chance to actually do something, rather than talk about what won't work and take cheap shots from the tag boxes.

Another pointless thread that accomplishes nothing or start something that makes selling your sh1t if it gets stolen much harder and biking in general safer?

DickBarton

Actually a few things have been done by talking out why it won't work – supersonic flight, ejector seats and space travel – by talking about why it won't work, you come up with solutions that do…I think Bassspine has suggested your solution already i.e. it already exists but people need to use it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Bottom line no one has ever accomplished anything by going over why it won't work.

they have avoided spectacular failure though and saved time /money.
    That aside it seems like a good idea but you would have to pay or else how can they check you are actually registering a bike you own?
    Also why , given I am on the electoral list, would I want everyone/anyone to be able to see what bikes I own?

DickBarton

I'm not having a go at you…I like the sound of it but without talking about the negatives it can't be ideal…all my bike details are kept and the insurance company knows them. It's going to take time and effort (and buy-in from everyone) – are you suggesting it gets done for free? If £6 does what you are suggesting then it seems mighty cheap price to pay…

kaesae
    Free Member

The bikes are registered to your user name and the websites keep your actual details.

A modification of the already existing thread system.

There is nothing to stop other people from posting pics of other peoples bikes and claiming they own them. However to do that they first have to register them and show photo's of the frames online.

We do have to go over all the flaws but let us be aware that on this website people will say black is white and white is black just to argue.

Not for free the industry should pay for it as a good will gesture to bikers.

HEY SINGLETRACK TIME TO GIVE SUMMIT BACK OR AT THE LEAST ASK ALL THE COMPANIES YOU REPRISENT TO SHARE A BIT OF THE PIE!!!

How much can it cost to set this up? I'm not going to stop going on about it and if you ignore it and it takes off! How out of touch will you look?

Junkyard
    Free Member

HEY SINGLETRACK TIME TO GIVE SUMMIT BACK OR AT THE LEAST ASK ALL THE COMPANIES YOU REPRISENT TO SHARE A BIT OF THE PIE!!!

Something back for free like say the forum? They get **** all donations from the classifieds and yet somehow never winge about this
    They are a business with one title what comapnies exactly do you think they represent?
    As a business how much of your turnover are you willing to contribute? Would you /they pass this on to the customer?
    As I said good idea but never for free and pressurising STW re this is a tad unrealistic.

bassspine
    Free Member

I've had three bikes done on the bike register (which includes an acid etch number on the frame) and not had to pay. You just have to attend the cycling events. £6 is **** all compared to the two and a half grand the bike cost anyway. I had alphadot on my motorbike and that was thirty quid.

kesaeae, why is your idea better than the existing ones? What will make it work better? How will you fund it? How will yours be more popular than the existing ones? If you have a USP, go for it!

If you can make it go, respect. But I will be surprised.

kaesae
    Free Member

Junk yard.

can you see a sign that says chainreactioncycles.com great saving on all products click here.

Do you think that might be a company that singletrack represents. look it's right down there!

As I have said it will not get done on it's own. That does not change the fact that it is possible and would do a lot of good

kaesae
    Free Member

This forum isn't free it's a massive and very lucrative commercial net. It's very impressive but it is still a commercial venture, yes I know those adverts pay for the forums and other stuff. But they also pay some very savve people wages, never doubt it.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

I am registered with immobilise.com, which is free and some police events hand out datatags and then register on immobilise. but had one bike nicked with the datatag and no luck. In frickin southmead, bristol.

It was a kona koa 1996, thieving scum

MrNutt
    Free Member

Kaesae, what do you think STW owes people? they do it because they love it and it pays them a wage. Perhaps we could all get together, have a vote on it, then all petition them to run for government?

kaesae
    Free Member

MrNutt – Member
    Kaesae, what do you think STW owes people? they do it because they love it and it pays them a wage. Perhaps we could all get together, have a vote on it, then all petition them to run for government?

Genius!!!

angryratio
    Free Member

is this not an elaborate way of advertising a frame you happen to be selling on ebay?

Junkyard
    Free Member

can you see a sign that says chainreactioncycles.com great saving on all products click here.

Do you think that might be a company that singletrack represents. look it's right down there!

You really are a bit confused about the a nature of advertising here. CRC advertise on here that does not mean that STW represent them in anyway shape or form and vice versa.
    By that use of "logic" singletrack must represent everyone who posts on here…I suspect they want to distance themselves from a number of posters on here 😉

rOcKeTdOg

if it's linked to your login, What happens if I'm ton, register all my bikes, then get banned for Willy threads, I lose my link via username to my hoard of frames?

wwaswas

ton would have a full time job keeping his list of current frames upto date!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘International MTB frame numbers database M50L16935 Spec Bighit 06’ is closed to new replies.